Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Refrigerator is sweating

We have noticed that our Dometic is going through a cycle of sweating. The freezer is maintaining it's temperature. The coils freeze over and moisture starts dripping in the frig. The temperature thermostat is set on 4. What is the problem????
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
humidity!

ammonia fridges are not like frost free models you are used to in your home.

they only cool to a set level and will ice up if set too cold, most have a drip tray to remove the excess moisture to the outside. mine ices up at night during hot weather and will thaw during the heat of the day and drip. this is normal.

if it bothers you try a slightly higher setting and see if it helps. also, make sure your drip tray is in place and not plugged.

john
Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
We have noticed that our Dometic is going through a cycle of sweating. The freezer is maintaining it's temperature. The coils freeze over and moisture starts dripping in the frig. The temperature thermostat is set on 4. What is the problem????
Humidity Indeed!

You may be opening the door a lot or for long periods of time. Also, there might be a small area where the door seal gasket is not sealing properly and admitting it the tiniest amount of outside air. Try the dollar bill test all around the door gasket to be sure that it is completely sealing against the frame.

Otherwise, the drip tray and drip hose that are found on these type units in the fridge section are there for this very reason.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
What next?

The dollar bill test fails on my old Dometic. Is there an easy fix, or do I have to replace all the seals?
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Keep in mind that you may have a high humidity switch on your fridge which will warm the surfaces around the door gaskets and keep that area from sweating. If you have the switch, just don't forget to turn it off once you are done with your outing. Mistakenly leaving that switch on runs down a lot of parked trailer batteries.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
The dollar bill test fails on my old Dometic. Is there an easy fix, or do I have to replace all the seals?
Vince,

Unless someone on the Forum has had a better experience, I have always replaced the door gaskets if they don't provide the proper sealing action. On new units still in warranty, the refer companies will usually just ship new doors . I guess thay don't have faith in their dealer network to properly replace the gaskets!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
What I ment to say was the bottom portion of the frig is wet on the inside, not the outside. The temp is around 50 F. The coils are freezing up. Thermostat is at 4. The frig door is not being opened a lot. We are at home and always keep it on. To me, the frig seems like it is de-frosting.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I may have found the problem. The coils are frozen over, the freezer is cold, so the unit must be working. I believe the door seal is the problem. There is an area on the lower portion of the door which is not sealing correctly.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Replacing gaskets

Lewster said: "I have always replaced the door gaskets if they don't provide the proper sealing action."

Where is the best place to get these? Mine is a pretty old unit.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Vince,

Try giving Dometic a call (assuming that you have that make). They will point you toward a distributor that will have the right gasket set for your unit. www.dometicusa.com.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I purchased the gasket for RM77D from Camping
World yesterday for $77.