Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
refrigerator insulation and install

Getting ready to install my dometic 2620 fridge in my 1973 Safari. I am looking for recommendations on insulation around the back of the fridge to best insulate and channel the flow of air upward. I did install fans at the top of my vent so that should help. Also dometic recommends only one inch of space between the back of the fridge and the wall - any recommendations on what to use to narrow this gap?
The bulk heads are not up yet - thought it would be easier to install the fridge before putting the bulkheads in.
Thanks for any advice.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "really big deal" is to get the intake air as low as you can and the output air as high as you can. Next is as good a flow of air as possible. No mention of insulation yet ... hmmm ... whatever you do with insulation, don't degrade the first part. Past that, mineral wool if it is in a "hot zone", just about anything for insulation if it's not. More is always better (as long as you don't impact air flow ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'll be doing this later this summer in my 79 Safari same fridge. I am planning on getting some aluminum bent that will wrap around the sides and back to create the 1" chanel along the back. It'll start about 12" from the bottom of the fridge and go to the top. A flap will extend from the bottom of the chanel over to the interior skin and down the sides of that to help direct the air flow. This helps the chimney/convection air flow across the heat exchange fins on the back. The the top will just go into the scoop shroud up to the roof vent. I'm going to put some rigid foam on the sides of the fridge and around the enclosure to help on those hot days when the fridge side is on the sun side.
I think most of the problems with AS fridges not working well is that AS doesn't baffle the back of the fridge which significantly reduces the convection heat transfer/stack effect.
I can't remember which or both norcold or domestic installation manual describes adding a baffle like this to the back of the fridge when there is more than 1"ish behind the fridge.
I'm moving up to a larger fridge from my original so had to remake bulkheads and am working on a new support stand since the fridge goes over the wheel wells and the taller fridge needs to move inward so it can clear the ceiling curve.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
refrigerator insulation and install

My 2007 had a simple sheet metal baffle caulked to the side walls of the fridge compartment. Of course it fell off rather quickly. I plan to cut a longer one with tabs that can be screwed to the sides and stay there longer. It goes in at an angle, with the high side on the side of the fridge with the burner on it. I suspect it will improve air flow over the cooling unit coils, as it is up against the inner skin when installed, and would direct the airflow more over the back of the fridge.

A set of quiet computer fans and another baffle on the back of my upper side vent should also improve airflow, once I get it designed and installed
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Question 2016 FC refrigerator

Sorry this is not an answer to the insulation question. Does anyone know how to shut off the power to the refrigerator so I can start the air conditioner and keep it running while plugged in here at home?
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtexas View Post
Sorry this is not an answer to the insulation question. Does anyone know how to shut off the power to the refrigerator so I can start the air conditioner and keep it running while plugged in here at home?
You should have controls to turn it off or switch to gas, or you can go into the outside compartment behind the fridge and unplug it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Milford , Michigan
Pictures?

Does anyone have pictures of this aluminum shrowd? I am about to rebuild a cabinet for a new dometic RM2351. The installation manual is kind of vague regarding the vent compartment.
oreillychris is offline   Reply With Quote