Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Windsor , California
Refrigerator in LP mode has an orange flame.

The Dometic Refrigerator has always had problems lighting (propane mode obviously). Works fine in electric and gas after it lights. Have to turn it off then back on many times before it finally will light. Striker is ok but no gas at first. OK, I can and did live with that but now I tried lighting it the other day and I get an orange flame after again turning it on and off several times. Flames up orange like there is no gas pressure pushing the gas down this tube thing toward where the blue flame is supposed to be heating the refrigerator cooling system. Tried cleaning the gas orifice but after I removed it no problem I could see nice and clean. Gas valve? Kinked gas line to gas valve? Thoughts on this? I am familiar with gas appliances so I’m not unfamiliar how these things work. Couldn’t really see an adjustment for “air” so where do I start. Can’t measure gas pressure to orifice. Orange flame got so big near orifice it burned the schematic label off the metal cover.
Nvleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
We need some help here to help you....Year, Model at a minimum of the trailer or Airstream unit.
Better yet make and model of what you have in the unit that is causing the problem to eliminate any question of aftermarket installs.
Then we can try to help you....and you will get tons of help, trust me.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Have you looked for a spider web/bug nest in the burner?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I seem to recall from messing about with some propane appliance in the past that the air mixture can be adjusted with the little grille on the tube just before the flame. I'd have to go out and dig into my fridge to get a better description but it's cold out and I"m still on my first cup of coffee. I'm sure you'll see it if you're fiddling with yours. It sounds like the burner not getting enough air through that grille. Anyway, here's a link with some good information:

https://www.arprv.com/dometic-fridge-flame.php
Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Lots of possibilities.

Do other propane appliances work ok? If so that rules out the main regulator and propane supply.

Is the flue / intake / burner all nice and clean of junk? They all need to be checked. One never knows when something has decided to nest here or there.

Is the inside of the control valve clear of debris? A rogue piece of teflon tape could be the issue ...

Lots of other possibilities.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
One must be VERY careful cleaning the orifice (basically just blow on it) the ruby is precisely calibrated in easily damaged. But it sounds like the burner needs cleaning or replaced (they do burn out). Also check to make sure the manual shut-off valve on the burner assembly, just before the orifice, is completely open.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
It sounds like you have a carbonizing flame, too much fuel not enough oxygen. Make sure burner tube is unobstructed, try adjusting (opening) grill that meters air intake @ gas orifice, if @ altitude over 4000 you may need a smaller orifice. Having the correct fuel/air mixture will give you a blue flame and consistent lighting.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Windsor , California
Thanks for the response!!

I’ve looked over everyone’s input and here are my comments/additional input.
First, yes, all the other gas appliances work great so this is definitely a single appliance problem. Second, this trailer is an 2017 International Serenity all stock. No mods made so the refrigeration unit is stock.
Third, appears no adjustment for air intake at the gas orifice. I had problems with the water heater and was able correct the lighting problem by adjusting the “rotating” air “shield” for lack of a better term to correct its issues so i understand the concept but again, no adjustment is obvious on the refrigerator. The flame burns orange and Smokey right around the orifice. Doesn’t seem to have enough pressure to push the gas through the orifice with enough “force” to reach the striker. I mentioned that the refrigerator has never lit well. My wife has always had to turn it on and off about six to 10 times to get it to light while I stand outside and watch for it to finally light. I always thought it was due to air in the gas line but thinking about this it doesn’t make sense since the furnace lights right away anytime regardless how long the trailer sits and the furnace is even further from the gas tanks. I’m thinking the refrigerator unit gas valve? Regardless i have an appointment at airstream for repair but if someone can suggest something I’m always happy to save a trip to the dealer and the possible expense (maybe warranty? not sure). Thanks to all!
Nvleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I would check the LP pressure. The refrigerator is probably the pickiest of all the appliances when it comes to pressure.
You can check it from the aux port using a home made manometer. Do a google search on how to build one. It’s sounds technical but it’s not. It should cost about 5 bucks and take 10 minutes to make.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I wonder if your orifice is partially clogged?

On my rig a few years ago I had to pull orifice and clean NO STEEL PROBES jut low air psi blowing it out.

Other idea is a clogged chimney not letting it breathe.

Good luck.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote