Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #1

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Shallotte , North Carolina
Refrigerator Door Handle Sticking

Anyone have this issue? The handle to open the main door of the Dometic Refrigerator in our 2018 28' Flying Cloud is not fully disengaging. My wife needs both hands to depress at "just the right angle" to open the damn door. I have a hard time as well. I've looked at it trying to see what I could do but see nothing except black plastic. Any ideas?
NC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
What model is your Dometic refrigerator?

I installed a model DM2682 in my Airstream and both the fridge and freezer handles have broken. I’ve ordered new ones, but do not yet have them installed. IMHO the plastic handles are a poor design, and when speaking with Dometic they said a new design is under consideration. That being said, the expense of replacing the broken handles is mine.

I could not open the fridge door but my Airstream dealer service manager was able to do so. He used some heavy duty Velcro straps to fashion a “handle” until the new handles are installed. As the door seems to have a magnetic closure, the door does stay closed when stationary and I secure with bungee cords during travel.

I’d suggest using a flashlight to closely examine the handles—when I did this, I could see small cracks in the plastic.

Good luck and report back on your conclusions.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #3

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Shallotte , North Carolina
Thanks for the info. I absolutely agree that the handles are of poor *#&! design. I'll take closer look again and see if there are any cracks. I suspect its a case of the plastic handle deforming with use and temp change. What's the cost of your replacement handles?
NC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote