Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Shiny, I completely agree. If the Airstream factories were in Arizona or Texas they probably wouldn't do such things.....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #22
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest house View Post
We have a new 2020 GT 23FTB. Been running the fridge at coldest setting for 3 days on shore power (dedicated 30 AMP to the house). Freezer doesn't get below 33 degrees at the lowest (middle of the night most likely) and runs about 36-40 mid day. Fridge ranges from about 36 - 50 degrees from night to mid day. Any thoughts on what the issue is?
Hi guest house,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 06-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #23
3rd Airstream!

2018 20' Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Littleton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZ View Post

We have the little computer fan on our AS. If we turn on the red light switch in the galley, we have never heard the fan come on on its own. It's more than 105 degrees in there. My attic fan on our house comes on at 95 degrees and it runs quite a bit. So I jumpered the thermostat between the fan leads on the AS and it works. It just doesn't come on with the little button thermostat. The best we can do on our referigerator is 40 degrees.

zoz
Had the same deal, never heard this fan come on. Started poking around, the wire connecting to the fan more or less fell out. The insulation hadn’t even been stripped off the wire. Fixed the connection, fan started working and the refrigerator got cooler. Worth checking...
dwogaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
We ran the refrigerator on propane last night to see if things worked better. Woke up this morning with out side temp in the low 70's. We made 2 trays of ice cubes and the refrigerator temp was in the low 40's. Got back to Texas at around 11:00. Frig temp was in the 40's still and outside temp low 80's. When on electricity all week we made ice over night frig temp would be around 40. But in the afternoon temps got over 90 and frig temp 55-58.
There was a article in trailer life today about RV refrigerators so I understand what happens to the absorption refrigerators when outside temps are high, level of the refrigerator etc.
I had issue with my refrigerator. Here is what I learned to get it working even in temperatures above 90. Add a heat exhaust fan to the back of the refrigerator to blow heat out the upper vent. It’s on a 90 degree thermostat mounted just below the fins. The fan that came with our refrigerator had the fan thermostat mounted to the fan and it was a 130 degree thermostat. By the time this fan came on it was too late. I moved that thermostat to above the heat stack. On propane the refrigerator section will stay below 32 degrees.

You mentioned making ice. Huge mistake, I learned not to make ice any more. The freezer section will take all the coolant first. By the time the coolant gets to the refrigerator section it’s warmed up too much. Room temperature water in the refrigerator or freezer will take days to recover. I use a cooler with ice to cool down warm Drinks before moving them to the refrigerator.

If it gets really hot outside and the refrigerator is struggling put a ziplock bad of ice in the refrigerator crisper. Temp quickly drops below 32 in the refrigerator section.

I haven’t got the refrigerator section to stay below 40 when the temperature goes above 90 degrees when operating on electric. I’m going to test the heat element when we finish the trip we are on. Just not much heat for the boiler. Switched to propane and the refrigerator is working great on propane. Need heat to cool.

With these lessons learned through the school of hard knocks our refrigerator is working great and I’m happy with it. It does take a small mod, I.e., added the extra exhaust fan and a lot of learning not to put room temperature items in it, pre cool. Room temperature bottles of water And cans of pop will kill the refrigerator. And don’t make ice. I put ice in a bag and keep in the freezer for drinks.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I went through a bunch of iterations before getting my fridge to work `right'.

The only thing I note in this thread that I changed was the small, computer fan in the outside vent area, that exhausts hot air to the outside. I bypassed the 90o thermocouple. I hooked the 12V line directly into the fan. In order to be able to shut it off when necessary (e.g. in storage or while traveling) I added an on/off switch right next to the fan. All you have to do is remember to turn it on when you turn on the fridge.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Norcold

Here's how I fixed the problem:
https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/

May not appeal to those who boondock extensively, we usually stay where we have hookups. With 200w of solar and two AGM's we can get by for a day or two without external power.

It gets cold within an hour even in South Texas and stays at an even temperature. We've had it for two years now and couldn't be more satisfied.
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Doesn’t the 25 vent through a chimney on the roof?
Starting a few years ago (not sure exactly) the 25' RB floor-plan went to the side vented refer. The bathroom is about 12" longer, only one window in the seating area, and a number of other minor differences. The 25RB is not a 'mirror' of the 25FB. Someone at JC service told me the differences have to do with the fixed wheel well locations.

There have been challenges and I'm still trying to get our refer to at least be somewhat consistent. When parked at home under cover (car port) we let it run and use it as a 'garage' refer but I'm very displeased with this side vented unit. Never had these issues with our other 2 A/S which were roof vented.

BTW: I can't update my avatar signature, the Currently looking should be "2019 25' Flying Cloud-RB"...
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shads Shack View Post
I went through a bunch of iterations before getting my fridge to work `right'.

The only thing I note in this thread that I changed was the small, computer fan in the outside vent area, that exhausts hot air to the outside. I bypassed the 90o thermocouple. I hooked the 12V line directly into the fan. In order to be able to shut it off when necessary (e.g. in storage or while traveling) I added an on/off switch right next to the fan. All you have to do is remember to turn it on when you turn on the fridge.

I wired the second fan to the circuit board. Mine had an extra power slot next to where the original fan gets its power. This configuration only allows the fans to get power when the refrigerator is turned on. No forgetting to turn the fans off.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Agree with all of the suggestions/tips above. It takes some attention and some hacks to get these absorption fridges cold and keep them cold. Best things I’ve found over my last two campers is air flow — inside the fridge across the cooling fins and behind the fridge in the baffle space. Purchased a fin fan which sends a lot of air over the fins and circulates it throughout the inside. Purchased a cheap 12v fan for the fridge exterior access compartment which sucks in air from the outside and blows it up upward toward the back of the fridge. Can usually keep the freezer at 30-32 degrees and usually have to back the thermostat setting down a number or two. So far so good...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BBB8A22-03DC-418F-9AD3-2B33C28AF4DF.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	371408   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF4089E3-ACE0-4222-8FCC-A43299EB5210.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	371409  

VeloBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
This tread reminds me of why I always read articles on the Airstream Form. I have been frustrated with the cooling (or lack of cooling) of my refrigerator. Now I know about the thermocouple and how to adjust it. I like my "adult" beverage COLD! Thanks BayuoBiker
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
The “cure” for airstreams such as the 23fb with two door outside ventilation instead of a chimney through the roof is to make a fan arrangement that EXHAUSTS the air (heat) from the upper vent. Fans inside the compartment do help but mostly just recirculate the hot air. See picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	371429
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Have you tried running refrigerator/freezer on LPG yet? (Remember, to run unit on with AC or LPG you need your DC circuit on—Battery Disconnect: USE/store)

jgbailey
A man with a story to tell about running refer on LPG.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

HENDERSON , Kentucky
Dometic Fridge Experiences

+1 to what everyone above has said.
Bought 2018 AS IS 23FB in June of 2018. Noticed immediately on our local trial runs, that the fridge seemed way too warm. Concerned, we added a remote temp sensors to accurately monitor the freezer & fridge temps. Was appalled to see temps over 50 degrees in the unit.

I started researching this Dometic fridge, & tried moving the thermocouple to no change. I even eventually took it to a big local RV dealer, who was a Dometic service center. Of course, while there it worked perfectly & cost me $150 for nothing.

At this point, totally frustrated I applied what I had learned from this forum to make the following changes:

1. I added 2 additional fans in a bracket beside the original exhaust cooling fan.

2. I jumped around the thermocouple that controlled the exhaust fan, to give me manual control of the fans. Using the red fan switch, I turn them on and leave them on whenever the fridge is on. You don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn them off, as the power to them is controlled by the main fridge power button.

3. I added the 3 fan in fridge cooling unit to the fins.

4. I feel that this Fridge works measurably better on propane, & run it exclusively on it.

After making these mods, it works much better in warm weather, with the fridge temps staying pretty much 40 or a little below.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1E23D24-EECF-400C-8ADF-5805A5211ED0.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	371487   Click image for larger version

Name:	050EA8B2-CD57-4E25-BB6F-EC464DE133B4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	371488  

stwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #34

2020 23' International
Round Rock , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
We ran the refrigerator on propane last night to see if things worked better. Woke up this morning with out side temp in the low 70's. We made 2 trays of ice cubes and the refrigerator temp was in the low 40's. Got back to Texas at around 11:00. Frig temp was in the 40's still and outside temp low 80's. When on electricity all week we made ice over night frig temp would be around 40. But in the afternoon temps got over 90 and frig temp 55-58.
There was a article in trailer life today about RV refrigerators so I understand what happens to the absorption refrigerators when outside temps are high, level of the refrigerator etc.
Hello, I am having a similar issue in Austin, TX with the fridge not cooling with outside temps above 95 on my new 23 International. Did you have any luck getting this taken care of under warranty?

It's been at the dealer for a few weeks and they are having the same issues after adding some additional baffles and rerouting the fan. From what they have said, Airstream responded back and said that was "normal" when it's 100F degrees out. Airstreams aren't made for Texas? Dealer states they have 2 different RVs with the same issue now.
DT_AYBABTU is offline   Reply With Quote