Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
refrigerating on the road

maybe there is a better subforum for this... I am just learning my way around... the forums, and the Airstream!

On my first trip at the moment... it's pouring rain and blowing it horizontal and heading toward freezing temperatures... wow, an Airstream is an awful lot more comfortable than a tent!

My question: while on the road, towing... do folks leave the refrigerator running? Do you leave your propane turned on? I have the unit set to "auto" so I thought I could turn off the propane and the fridge would switch to 12v, but it was beeping. I didn't shut off the battery power to the trailer... I feel like I am missing some key detail somewhere!

Thanks in advance!
kukula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Which refrigerator do you have? 2 way (propane and 120 volt), 3 way (propane, 120 volt or 12 volt) or electric only.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Which refrigerator do you have?

That's a great question! I wonder how I would find out? I guess I should turn off the propane and turn on the inverter, and if that stops the beeping, there's the answer!

Do folks commonly leave the inverter running while traveling down the road?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
The manual the dealer gave me covers more than a dozen models with all sorts of power options, so that isn't much of a clue.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
2021 25’ flying cloud runs off propane & shore power. Yes, I run with my propane and fridge running. I suggest pre-cooling the fridge by plugging into shore power prior to your departure, then switching to gas. While the fridge maintains temperature well on propane, it struggles to get down to temp on gas. Make sure your propane is open. Turn the fridge off, then back on. Then manually select gas. My Dometic on my 2020 was temperamental and required this.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
From the symptoms, i would guess that you have Propane and 120 volt AC. Until recently, this was the standard for almost all Airstreams. If you have this type and it is in auto (not gas) and you turn off the propane it will try and relight the flame. You will hear a series or two of clicking as the igniter attempts to light the flame. It will fail and you will have an error code or a check light (model dependent).

If your fridge is this type, you can either leave the propane on like most of the traveling public do or shut off the refrigerator and keep the door shut till you get it running again.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
thanks folks! yeah I have a 2021 FC 25... someplace I read to turn off the propane while moving, but I know a lot of the instructions are more to avoid liability claims than to be practical!

I got the freezer to make ice, so it sure does work!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I travel with fridge in LP mode

Just to provide some data on your earlier question, I am one of those that does travel with propane valves open, and run the fridge in auto while towing (meaning it runs on LP while towing). I have an older FC (2015) so I can't run mine on 12VDC only. Before a trip, I do always connect to shore power and turn on the fridge a day early, so it cools down before I run it on LP, to try and save some LP.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We travel with the Propane/Fridge on. One trick to cool down quickly is to buy a bag of ice when pulling the coach out of storage, put half in the freezer and half in the fridge and turn it on. When traveling, avoid loading the fridge with a pile of warm items all at once. (Load a can of tasty beverage one at a time after removing a can of tasty beverage) etc. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
We travel with the Propane/Fridge on. One trick to cool down quickly is to buy a bag of ice when pulling the coach out of storage, put half in the freezer and half in the fridge and turn it on. When traveling, avoid loading the fridge with a pile of warm items all at once. (Load a can of tasty beverage one at a time after removing a can of tasty beverage) etc. - Brad
Brad, good call! I always plug in the day before, though never really thought about stacking the fridge with warmer items all at once. I usually just pull from the house fridge and add to the AS’s. It would be easy to add add a case of warm la Croix etc without even thinking about it... now I will!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukula View Post
Do folks commonly leave the inverter running while traveling down the road?
No. Only turn on the inverter while you are using something plugged into a marked inverter outlet.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Propane driving or not ?

For 6.5 years never ran with propane on. Only precooled, preloaded and after many hours of keeping the fridge door shut.... started driving. Mostly So Cal / Sierra trips up to the 80’s drove up to 5hours without temps climbing to a concern. Freezer rose to mid 20’s and Fridge to mid 40’s typically. (We have a multi zone wireless temp sensor kit to monitor freezer, fridge, separate 12v cooler under dinette without having to open and check em). Pic was a trip test using propane on a 7 hour drive home from Yosemite.

Last year we started all the same but driving while on propane to keep all super chill.

Lesson learned is depending the ambient temps, travel time and stuff in fridge you may be able to choose NO power for many hundreds of miles or many hours before plugging in or firing back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F5F6C6A-1AD8-45D0-9C44-EB6FE053E373.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	394933  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Refer Power Source

I understand some states have regulations regarding “open flame” at gas stations and other potentially dangerous sites. Makes sense. So, as you leave roadway for gas fill-up, you’re going to have to secure LPG tanks AND confirm a possible lingering refrigerator flame is out before approaching fuel pumps.

Roberta and I have driven our first 8,000 miles with LPG off, but we may change our habits. I was judging status of refer by confirming ice existed in ice trays. That’s really only saying you’re at 32 degrees at the top of your box, and maybe not even that if cubes started out colder. Now we have a large, easy-to-read thermometer at the BOTTOM of the box. I’ve discovered Ice on top and temperature at bottom barely under 41 degrees. (With nothing in the refer, we’ve been able to get the bottom of the box down to 34 degrees running on LPG.)

These new AC/LPG/DC boxes are beginning to sound good. Run DC on the road, AC where shore power is available and LPG when boondocking.

I think a movable thermometer is a must.

As for our next outing, we’ll keep the refer going with LPG but secure prior hitting fuel pumps. I’ve seen that refer flame, and it’s a torch.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
(Load a can of tasty beverage one at a time after removing a can of tasty beverage) etc. - Brad
There are 2 other options for this.
1 Buy them pre-chilled.
2 Put them in a cooler with some ice.(added benefit put cooler next to chair outside and use cooler as table)
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Just to provide some data on your earlier question, I am one of those that does travel with propane valves open, and run the fridge in auto while towing (meaning it runs on LP while towing). I have an older FC (2015) so I can't run mine on 12VDC only. Before a trip, I do always connect to shore power and turn on the fridge a day early, so it cools down before I run it on LP, to try and save some LP.
Same here, with a 2016.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 26' Land Yacht
Wickes , Arkansas
Good advice by all. I have run our refrig on gas while on the road for over twenty years and have had no issues with it. Remember to cool it down for a day before going on the road. Another hint is to load the freezer before you leave. The frozen items will remain frozen and help to keep the freezer cold. Have fun on the road!!
Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club
Squairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
All the above are good ideas for using your fridge.

If you use propane for your fridge its a good idea to turn on the propane then light the stove burner temporarily to get propane into the lines and make sure you don't put the power in the store position when traveling. The fridge should then switch from electric to propane and vise versa when on auto. make sure your fridge door is closed well when traveling

Good Luck
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There have been many threads on this topic. Do a search to find all types of answers/solutions. Do NOT use your inverter. This only powers the marked outlets. With a gas/electric fridge the power will run through your converter I believe.

I have been towing a trailer with a fridge since about 2004 and have over 50K miles on my Airstream. I run with it on and have only been asked once to turn off the gas pumps before fueling. I do turn off the tanks while on ferries and have yet to venture far enough east to have to be concerned about those tunnels I have read about. All the hints about pre cooling are good ones. It does help especially when outside temps start getting high.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have always ran with propane on...18 years now; 4th AS...no issues. Start on AC day before with shore power. Make sure the "Auto" switch actually makes the switch when you turn on the propane; if not, turn off and manually select. As was mentioned, sometimes it can be stubborn, but most of the time works fine. We have used the inverter once or twice...it does suck up battery, and really, we don't need any electric that bad...if we do, we will connect the generator as needed. Enjoy!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukula View Post
thanks folks! yeah I have a 2021 FC 25... someplace I read to turn off the propane while moving, but I know a lot of the instructions are more to avoid liability claims than to be practical!

I got the freezer to make ice, so it sure does work!
Hi

You can indeed turn off the propane while in motion. Drive 8 hours down the road in mid summer and you will be much safer ( from LP issues). Indeed all the food in the fridge and freezer will have been exposed to unsafe temperatures. You may die of food poisoning, but you *will* be safe from LP issues.

Keep in mind that "chunk of ice over there" in the freezer section does not in any way prove that things stayed safe .... Also, even if it does not poison you, it's spoiled and will soon taste bad.

So, options:

1) Don't use the fridge when in motion and be very safe. Only stock it once you get to the camp site and it's had at least 12 hours to cool down. Empty it again before you go back on the road.

2) Only carry bottled water in the fridge or other "refrigeration optional" items. Let them warm up in the disabled fridge while on the road.

3) Run the LP on the road except when going through tunnels that are marked with a "turn it off" requirement. That way the fridge does what you need it to do.

Your choice.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote