Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Refridgerator Woes

Hi All,

My wife is struggling with the refer in our 2016 Serenity. The thing ices up in the drip tray routinely. Also, and possibly related, water collects in the bottom of the fridge which must be swabbed out with a towel. Very irritating.

I thought at first it was due to the humid climate but it seems not to change whether we are in dry or humid climates. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

Gary
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Gary,

Check the drip tray hose to see if it's clogged or open. I'm betting its visible if you open the fridge exterior door. At least that will allow you to see its location.

Then how about doing the dollar bill test on the door seals?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Gary,

Check the drip tray hose to see if it's clogged or open. I'm betting its visible if you open the fridge exterior door. At least that will allow you to see its location.

Then how about doing the dollar bill test on the door seals?

Gary

I’m also not having a good experience with the refrigerator in our 2016. Camped 14 days first few days it cooled good once down to 34 degrees .It was hot here in Michigan and the fridge was busy being opened and closed. But it wouldn’t recover at night, by morning it was usually around 45/48 degrees Freezer worked good. I’m suspicious that to much opening and closing but thought it would recover at night.
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Dadams,

Trailer info could be helpful for community to comment. Are you running it on AC or propane?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 07-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
For the icing problem first off the temperature is too low. Either the setting is too low, the thermoresistor has fallen off the cooling fin or is not working. You do not want ice to form on the fins so turn up the temperature setting. If that makes no difference, check to make sure it is in contact with the fin. if that does not help you can test the thermoresistor and control board.

For not cooling in high temperatures, anything over 85 or so especially with humidity and lots of use is going to be a problem. Over 98-100 and it is game over for propane refrigerators. It will take more than overnight to catch up. Consider getting a small block of dry ice to help it catch up.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Simple resolution

Sorry, I meant to get back here and let you know the resolution. At JC, the tech looked at the fridge and immediately noticed a sensor with a cable sitting in the bottom. it is supposed to lodge behind the end fin in the upper area of the fridge but has somehow come loose. He also made a gasket out of Plummer’s putty to prevent the drain hose from slipping out. Everything has been fine in there since. I should have looked more closely in the beginning, Mayo would have figured out the sensor...
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Dadams,

Trailer info could be helpful for community to comment. Are you running it on AC or propane?

Gary

2016 RB twin International still not happy with temp on either gas or AC also while holding upper refrigerator vent outside. I couldn’t hold on it cause of feeling slight electric current? I was bare foot while doing this also. Trailer was plug in to household AC. I disconnected everything and put batteries in store mode. What kind of test can I do to see if it’s a short?
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
2016 RB twin International still not happy with temp on either gas or AC also while holding upper refrigerator vent outside. I couldn’t hold on it cause of feeling slight electric current? I was bare foot while doing this also. Trailer was plug in to household AC. I disconnected everything and put batteries in store mode. What kind of test can I do to see if it’s a short?

Uh time to watch this:

Fridge comes later.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
I’m also not having a good experience with the refrigerator in our 2016. Camped 14 days first few days it cooled good once down to 34 degrees .It was hot here in Michigan and the fridge was busy being opened and closed. But it wouldn’t recover at night, by morning it was usually around 45/48 degrees Freezer worked good. I’m suspicious that to much opening and closing but thought it would recover at night.
I have found it is important to keep my refrigerator full.

It doesn’t like dead air and doesn’t want to cool it.

I keep yogurt, juices, fruit cups, etc., in there, when I just need to keep the space filled.

It just seems happier that way.

Maggiw
Old 07-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1burke View Post
Sorry, I meant to get back here and let you know the resolution. At JC, the tech looked at the fridge and immediately noticed a sensor with a cable sitting in the bottom. it is supposed to lodge behind the end fin in the upper area of the fridge but has somehow come loose. He also made a gasket out of Plummer’s putty to prevent the drain hose from slipping out. Everything has been fine in there since. I should have looked more closely in the beginning, Mayo would have figured out the sensor...
Glad you're back to good, I guess when I mentioned this as a possible issue I was somehow unclear.....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote