Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Refer woes

Hi all,

Went to fire up the refer on propane this morning to pre chill it for our camping trip this week and couldn't get it running on propane. The check lamp comes on after about 30-45 seconds. I can smell propane when I poke my head in the refer access door on the side of the camper. I think it's geeting gas but no spark. It's a Dometic Americana Plus 2 way in a 2005 Safari SS. I hooked up to shore power and the refer is working fine on AC.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Remove the access panel at the bottom of the heater section and have someone else turn the refer to gas operation. See if the igniter is sparking. If not it could be dirty and if it is and still not igniting, you could have a clogged gas orifice. The LP buner section should be cleaned annually anyway.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks Lew. I'll check the ignitor. I'm pretty sure the orifice is OK because I can smell gas.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Similar happening

My former Classic 25 had a strange habit. If the trailer had been stored for more than a week, the fridge would not light and, like you, I could smell propane. I would remove the shielding, prop a lighted lighter in place, and go inside to push the button again. I had cut a little block of wood that would keep my stove lighter burning hands off.

Once lighted, we could go on a month-long trip and it would switch back to propane seamlessly each time we broke camp.

Store it for a week or so and it wouldn't light again!

The cooling unit finally died and the replacement worked OK every time. Apparntly, the electronics had to warm up for a time before it would spark.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Update

Thanks again guys.

I went back over to the storage lot this evening. The refer was chilled down and the outer working were warmed up. I pulled the burner shroud off and told my wife to hit the "gas" button. It fired right up.

John- sounds like this refer might be a distant cousin of the refer in your former Classic.