Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Waco , Texas
Refer not cooling on the road

Hi,
We’re experienced RVers and have just purchased our first AS, a 1988 Excella. We took it out for the first time last weekend and noticed that the refrigerator (Dometic model RM2812) doesn’t cool while driving--ice cold on shore power, but warm by the end of a day on the road. The gas is on, the check light is not. There are no apparent problems, just not working. I’ve seen some discussion of this problem and read about the possibility of the LP system being extinguished by wind, but the solutions aren’t clear enough for my dull brain. Can anyone offer some advice? Pictures would be great. Thanks!
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We too had the same issue despite a large aluminum baffle being installed around the flame under warranty by the local dealer. For 5 seasons we found the fridge was at 48-54 whenever we stopped. It would of course cool down to 36 overnight.

Finally on our last trip I purchased a thin white $4 return air vent filter at Home Depot, cut it to size, and attached it to the inside of the exterior fridge access door. My thinking was there was still too much wind blowing out the flame while traveling. Problem solved and for the next 2 weeks the temperature never went above 38 while traveling.

This is similar to what I installed:
True Blue 10 in. x 30 in. Cold Air Return Filter Pad - CAR1030.1 at The Home Depot
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Similar filter, except for window air conditioners (in dark gray foam) is available at WalMart for about the same price. We just put it over the access door opening and closed the door on it. The excess hanging out over the edges is a reminder to remove the filter when parked, although it's not a very technical or neat installation method. Also, the foam probably isn't as good at filtering the air as the one above because of the size of the open cells, but it does restrict airflow enough to keep the flame from blowing out.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Waco , Texas
Thanks for both of these replies. My technical abilities might lead to me towards the door-pinching method. SilverCottage, how did you adhere the filter to the door? Tape? Velcro?
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Since the check light is not on it might be that the flame is not going out. I know that Tim (Buttercup) has the same issue with the fridge in his trailer and to my knowledge it has yet to be solved.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by crios View Post
Thanks for both of these replies. My technical abilities might lead to me towards the door-pinching method. SilverCottage, how did you adhere the filter to the door? Tape? Velcro?
The filter came with some Velcro stickers that worked fine. They are the hard plastic half of the Velcro fastener, the filter itself works as the soft part of the Velcro fastener.

If you need more Velcro to hold it better, I believe you can purchase the strips or dots at any sewing store.

I never thought about removing the filter when stopped since the cells are so large and open. We didn't have any issues boondocking for 12 days last month.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
A great solution.....thanks, SilverCottage.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote