Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Fallbrook , Southern California
Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01
Pilot light won't stay lit

The Dometic in our '76 Argosy MH appears to work fine on AC, but I cannot get the pilot light to stay lit. As long as I hold the knob out in the lighting position, I can see the pilot is lit with a nice blue flame, but as soon as I release the know, the pilot light extinguishes.

The stove and oven work fine so I am confident the propane is fine. I removed and cleaned (a very rusty/dirty) baffle and did my best to clean the flu, but no change.

Any suggestions? Anything... please We are off out next week and a cold propane driven fridge is essential... see dear, I told them just like you said

Cheers,

Andrew

"Experience is something you never have... until just after you need it!"
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It may be the thermocouple. We had a guest here in a Casita with the same symtom. We got a new thermocouple, installed it (10 minute easy job), and all was great.

By the way, we also discovered that there were two differences between the residential and the RV termocouples:

1. The residential was longer. It could have been coiled and used in the RV.

2. The RV thermocouple was about twice as expensive and available only at the RV outfit; we could have bought the residential at the corner hardware store.

Lynn
Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had the same thing in my '76 Overlander. I changed the thermocouple and still had the same thing going on. Andy at Inland said to tighten it "really tight". After I did that, it stayed lit. I had to order the thermocouple from an RV store here because the end on the one from the local hardware store didn't fit the connection properly.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Andrew, It probably IS the thermocouple. This "tells" the gas valve to stay open because there is a fire where it needs to be. They do sometimes go bad. They also sometimes will have corrosion buildup where they are connected, and they sometimes get hit, and knocked out of the flame, preventing it from getting hot and giving the message to the valve. Look at it while holding the button, and ensure it is in the flame. If that isn't it, then remove it and clean anything that attaches to something else. If that doesn't do it, get the one at the hardware and see if it will fit. If all that fails, buy the high priced one!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Tighten it really tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
I had the same thing in my '76 Overlander. I changed the thermocouple and still had the same thing going on. Andy at Inland said to tighten it "really tight". After I did that, it stayed lit. I had to order the thermocouple from an RV store here because the end on the one from the local hardware store didn't fit the connection properly.
Make sure the connections are tight prior to buying another. Think of it as an electrical connection.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Fallbrook , Southern California
Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01
Thanks everyone, tightening the thermocouple, plus fifteen tear downs and reassemblies appear to have done the trick.

I cannot stress how good it feels to know that such sound advice and knowledge is so easy to hand, I thank you all.

Cheers,

Andrew

"Experience is something you never have... until just after you need it!"
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote