Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Old Dometic - dare I plug this in?

I have an old rm760 that I'm trying to reuse in my vintage AS. The back components are pretty rusty (picture attached). I want to plug in the ac to see if that at least works. Would that be dangerous to do with the fridge components in this rusty state? Nothing seems rusted through but I'm weary that turning it in my cause a leak or maybe worse?
zen_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	378944
Old 09-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
That doesn't look too bad, where rust is concerned. I would say your bigger concern is that rats have built a nice flammable nest in the chimney of the cooling unit, and when you put juice to the electric heating element, things may get warm, nasty, smelly, and possibly fiery. So blow some compressed air down the chimney, and inspect the area around the heating element to make sure that there isn't anything flammable accumulated around it.

Note that it may take up to 24 hrs for you to notice cooling inside, and you want it to be sitting as level as possible. Also, check your rubber seals around the door. Last time I looked, replacements were pretty hard to come by for vintage fridges, so if yours are hard, compressed, cracked, or just generally unusable, then I wouldn't advise spending money on any other aspect of the fridge until you know what parts are available.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it doesn't get cold, it probably has lost it's ammonia. There used to be a company that could fix any tiny leaks & recharge the ammonia out in California. We had them fix our '64 about twenty years ago. I seem to recall their name was 'Cool Fun' or something like that...but I'm not sure they are still around.

The Vintage Airstream Website also has a list of RV Fridge guys that may be able to help if you need it. I don't know how updated that list is...but, there's even one in Oregon!

Good luck~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
That doesn't look too bad, where rust is concerned. I would say your bigger concern is that rats have built a nice flammable nest in the chimney of the cooling unit, and when you put juice to the electric heating element, things may get warm, nasty, smelly, and possibly fiery. So blow some compressed air down the chimney, and inspect the area around the heating element to make sure that there isn't anything flammable accumulated around it.

Note that it may take up to 24 hrs for you to notice cooling inside, and you want it to be sitting as level as possible. Also, check your rubber seals around the door. Last time I looked, replacements were pretty hard to come by for vintage fridges, so if yours are hard, compressed, cracked, or just generally unusable, then I wouldn't advise spending money on any other aspect of the fridge until you know what parts are available.

good luck!

Pardon my ignorance but could you tell me what part of this assembly is the chimney? Is it the tall skinny box to the right?
Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may find this helpful...it's a link to the 1968 Owner's Manual. It talks about the fridge starting on page 68.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_stream View Post
Pardon my ignorance but could you tell me what part of this assembly is the chimney? Is it the tall skinny box to the right?
Yep, and follow the wires you see at about midpoint in the photo, because those go to the heating element.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you call Wick at RV Cool, rvcool.com, 1-800-515-6823. He can give you good advice or repair your unit. He has been in the Dometic refrigerator rejuvenation business for close to 25 years. He replaces all the plumbing with improved swirl tubing. No patch work all new. He did my unit 5 years ago and it is still working fine. He will do it at his shop or receive, repair and return yours to you by UPS.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote