Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Nova Kool RFU9000

I replaced the original Dometic RM100 with a NovaKool RFU9000 AC/DC unit and am happy with the results so far. Had to build a platform to raise the unit a couple inches off the floor and the unit fits nicely. Ran the unit on DC from Wednesday thru Sunday before the auto shutoff kicked in due to low voltage.

My 2 batteries are Lifeline AGM.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4994.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	416126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4995.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	416127Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4996.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	416128
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looks nice. Any problem adjusting to a bottom freezer? Any changes needed to the exterior of the AIrstream?
I just replaced the cooling unit on my conventional ammonia coolant reefer. I considered going to one of the newer electric only type but my tech said they were back ordered 18 months.
Wonder - could you run this on a small generator like a Honda 1000? (Obviously I could recharge batteries with a 1000)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
It will take some getting used to having the freezer on the bottom but I think it will work out good. The 70s Airstreams have the fridges on the floor and that makes getting food out of the bottom drawers difficult. With the Nova Kool the fridge is on the top and that will make accessing food easy.

We made no modification to the outside of the trailer. We kept the exhaust vent. The Nova Kool isn’t as deep as the original Dometic so there are a few extra inches in behind the louvred exterior door. I should have good ventilation.

The unit defaults to AC and will auto change over to DC when there is no AC power. Using a generator should be no problem.

I’m looking forward to no longer using propane while traveling and the associated fire risk.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
I had a chance to use the fridge on a camping trip and can report that it works very well. The fridge was on continuously for 3 weeks in temperatures from 60-105 degrees. I set the temp dial on 4 with 7 being max cool. The fridge temp was never higher than 40 in the heat of the day and was closer to 30 in the evening and morning. The bottom freezer kept ice cubes, ice cream and popsicles plenty cold and hard. The ice and ice cream were stored inside the metal box and the popsicles outside the metal box. All meat and frozen vegetables also stayed plenty cold for the duration of the trip. There was very little frost build up. Nowhere near needing to defrost. I put 10 top sirloin steaks in the freezer the day before driving 500 miles home in 105 degree temperatures and the steaks were frozen solid.

As for ventilation, I noticed that lots of hot air was entering the trailer through the louvred exterior access door, which the absorption fridge used to block. (I could see right through to the interior of the trailer) I cut a piece of hard foam insulation to cover the louvres. I kept the existing roof vent open. There is also a small hole in the plywood in the fridge compartment with a screen over it that I did not cover. There was no increase in temperatures as a result. The compressor ran about 70% of the time I would say.

The unit appeared to run fine on both 12v and AC and auto switched. I was connected to 30 amp for the duration of the trip except for driving.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #5

Lakeland , Florida
OK, so my wife and I just picked up our basecamp and took it out for a couple days. Upon bringing her home, I parked in the driveway, which has a steepish angle. I started reading about it and everyone is saying don't run the refrigerator if it's not completely level... is that true?
scoutobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutobs View Post
OK, so my wife and I just picked up our basecamp and took it out for a couple days. Upon bringing her home, I parked in the driveway, which has a steepish angle. I started reading about it and everyone is saying don't run the refrigerator if it's not completely level... is that true?
Absorption refrigerators need to be somewhat level. Not absolutely level. As long as it doesn't seem weird when you're in the camper, it's level enough.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Oh
We have a 2018 23FB with the factory installed Dometic absorption refrigerator. Have replaced the two wet cell batteries with two Battle Born 100 amp hours each lithium batteries for better service when boondocking.

Over the years we have tried all the tricks to keep the refrigerator cold. It is usually 40 or so during the day and drops down to 30s overnight.

Thinking about having Jackson Center switch the refrigerator to the 12v Nova Kool RFU6800 which is what they install now.

Any body have experience with the Nova Kool RFU 6800? Keep in mind we now have two 100 amp hours each lithium batteries.
earthdog is offline   Reply With Quote