Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Thank you all for the input and good info!!
Okay, so on the old fridge the vent tube and baffle deal is seriously in need of an over-haul. It is pretty rusted and the baffle wouldn't push back down. The tube surrounding the baffle/wire has lost part of its bottom AND there seems to have been something else into that tube that has desintagrated.
Without doing something about this can I even plug it in to determine if it will run - or is that dangerous (or just a waste of time)?

Anyone near Northern California want to take it FREE????
If I can't get rid of it, I might be able to part it out, though I must admit I'd rather get it out of my garage all together.

On to the new one I'm about to order... the venting (plastic channel riveted to the wall) looks to have been modified to fit the fridge. From what I can tell the fridge is original but the plastic channel is roughly cut and seems to have extra rivets on the wall where maybe the rest of it used to be. The fridge had attatched to it a strip of metal (like a 'V')that went into the plastic. Anyway, the set up previously didn't strike me as real "safe". The gases were encouraged to go up this channel, but still could seep through the counter top and cabinetry. No? It seems there should be an impregnable "exhaust" directly vented to the outside (like the furnace).

Was mine lacking or is everyones like that - Or is is an old and inadequate design. OR am I just paranoid??
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Paranoid? Who's Paranoid?

Are people watching us? Reading our thoughts posted here? Do you see people others don't? Can you hear the voices in your head? Who's paranoid? Not me... Not since the shock treatments and the injections....Where are my pills!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Do I have spiderwebs on my face? OOOH NOOO! I think someone is following us ..... Quick pretend we're invisible! Yeah that's it ... invisible. Whoa!!! That was scary! Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
It seems there should be an impregnable "exhaust" directly vented to the outside (like the furnace). Was mine lacking or is everyones like that - Or is is an old and inadequate design. OR am I just paranoid??
Sequoiacoast, where Carbon monoxide is concerned, I consider a little paranoia to be justified. I once walked into a room where a mother and daughter were sitting watching TV on Christmas Eve, and both were dead, poisoned by carbon monoxide from a defective chimney. You need either an exhaust directly to the outside, or an exhaust into a sealed compartment which is itself vented directly to the outside. The latter is a common solution, with a low vent for fresh air intake, and a roof vent for exhaust. The front face of the refer is a tight fit in the front of the compartment. A 12 volt fan can be fitted to improve the flow through the compartment. Take care.
Nick.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Quincy , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to Derk Send a message via Yahoo to Derk
RM 2301 Replacement

After my last trip, our fridge has a mind of it's own. It just works when it wants and not when I want. It is an old Dometic RM 2301, 2.9 cubic footer. I saw a conversion chart on the Dometic web site but it did not show a conversion for a 2301. And my second plea for help would be some recommendations of dealers on the net that sell NEW refrigerators and AC units. I am leaning to a Duo Therm AC unit. Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I ordered my new Dometic from Palomino (800)297-5830. I read somewhere on the forum about them, search Palomino for more details. I think they have quite a bit of stuff. Their price was by far cheaper than any of the sale prices I have found. My fridge will be 5 cu. ft. I called with the part # that I got off the Dometic site. It will be a little bigger than my old one but I have everything out so I can re-do the cabinet easily.
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote