Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
New convection assist fans

Made this bracket, mounted fans, fused and running...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-54788900.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	194742
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
These fans are most efficient when pulling rather than pushing the air. The optimal place for the fans is at or on the fridge vent outlet; either at the roof vent or directly on the side vent. This way you are assured of pulling the heated air across the condenser and out of the vent without any possibility of it getting trapped due to inefficient plenum design.

Nice install, though.........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
These fans are most efficient when pulling rather than pushing the air. The optimal place for the fans is at or on the fridge vent outlet; either at the roof vent or directly on the side vent. This way you are assured of pulling the heated air across the condenser and out of the vent without any possibility of it getting trapped due to inefficient plenum design.

Thanks, Lewster! If this proves to improve cooling, I will move them as you suggest... This is just "proof of concept"...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

I just moved mine. We've been in the 90s this week (upper today) and I noticed a lot of turbulence (verified with cigar smoke) with the fans down low, pointed up. I had an actual downdraft at both sides of the compartment. I immediately thought of CO being pushed back down from chimney top. Not good.
Made an aluminum bracket similar to CWF and mounted below the roof vent. I used two 4" muffin fans, which each move 75 cubic feet per minute, but I am sure the vent cover restricts that somewhat. Now have a nice pull throughout the cabinet. Will monitor any performance difference.

Sorry, no pics.....too darned hot to play around.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Cool! Literally!

I did not have the smoky issue. However, am concerned about CO as well... Was it tough pulling roof vent or did you use another method?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Channing, as much as I hated to, I pulled the refer. four hour job, start to finish, including fabricating the mounting bracket. I mounted the fans to the aluminum using rubber faced washers and mounted rubber grommets between the bracket and ceiling. Pretty darned quiet. While I was in there, I re-taped some joints and checked my previous bubble foil insulation job.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
All fan installers:

I am curious. How much of an improvement in fridge temperature did you get after you installed your fans?

I am planning on installing three 120 more fans (45 cfm/fan) at the vent entrance which is located in the belly pan. This location is the easiest for me to access.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:

You mentioned at the roof or directly on the side vent. Are you referring to the access door in the side of the trailer that allows the inflow of air? This of course would be a lot easier to access than the roof vent.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
You mentioned at the roof or directly on the side vent. Are you referring to the access door in the side of the trailer that allows the inflow of air? This of course would be a lot easier to access than the roof vent.
If I may be so bold to answer for Lewster......I think he's talking about the units with both the inlet and outlet on the side of the trailer...not the top. So he's saying mount the fans on the hot air exit.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
You're probably right.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
How are you wiring the fans? Are they on a switch? Wired to the fridge? When do they run? Battery drain?
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaggard View Post
How are you wiring the fans? Are they on a switch? Wired to the fridge? When do they run? Battery drain?
I wired both fans in parallel with a pair of wires running down to the access panel area. I run a manual switch and a thermal switch ( mounted in the chimney), both in the positive line. The power and ground are in the "H block" where the 12Volt feed is for the fridge.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

I wired both fans in parallel with a pair of wires running down to the access panel area. I run a manual switch and a thermal switch ( mounted in the chimney), both in the positive line. The power and ground are in the "H block" where the 12Volt feed is for the fridge.
Please be kind and FUSE your power positive wire.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've read that many times....but, the H-block is already fused. Any short will pop the self-resetting breaker on the refer circuit.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

If I may be so bold to answer for Lewster......I think he's talking about the units with both the inlet and outlet on the side of the trailer...not the top. So he's saying mount the fans on the hot air exit.
Right !.......sort of.......... I always place these fans directly on the highest vent opening which is the hot air exhaust, whether that is on the upper side wall or under the fridge roof vent.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Get one of these kits...I got one & it works great...!

Snyders RV Refrigeration - Home
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
All fan installers:

I am curious. How much of an improvement in fridge temperature did you get after you installed your fans?

I am planning on installing three 120 more fans (45 cfm/fan) at the vent entrance which is located in the belly pan. This location is the easiest for me to access.

Dan
Dan,

Our 63 Safari had a floor vent also, one computer fan mounted inside on the screen made a 5-10* difference on hot days. It's really surprising how much cooler the air is under the trailer.

Bob
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have one of the Snyder's kits and it does work well. It consists of a PVC gutter which spans the cooling fins with a muffin fan mounted below it blowing up. It is thermally switched and fused. It is effective and has lowered my fridge temps considerably. On the highest cooling setting the fridge compartment has had temps as low as 29f this summer. That said, I am concerned that if the fan fails, all airflow will be blocked over the cooling fins. Because of this concern, I am going to remove it and place a larger fan just under the roof vent.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I have one of the Snyder's kits and it does work well. It consists of a PVC gutter which spans the cooling fins with a muffin fan mounted below it blowing up. It is thermally switched and fused. It is effective and has lowered my fridge temps considerably. On the highest cooling setting the fridge compartment has had temps as low as 29f this summer. That said, I am concerned that if the fan fails, all airflow will be blocked over the cooling fins. Because of this concern, I am going to remove it and place a larger fan just under the roof vent.
Good idea!

I stopped using Stu's kits due to the small size of the fan and it's limited airflow, and for the exact reason that you brought up. I also do a lot of larger RV fridges that require significantly more airflow that the kit provides....hence the multiple fan installations.