Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
mfk

gwinn , Michigan
LP frig

i just bought one and it seems to be working at least i thought. The freezer works awesome i just cant get the frig part to get anything cold. do any of u guys have any ideas on what may be causing this. thanks
mfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - we need more info... You bought a new fridge? What brand is it?

Is the fridge 2 way (elect/propane) or something different?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The freezer gets the coolant first, then the rest of the box. A weak cooling system will get the freezer cold but not do much otherwise. Make sure you have good air circulation around the coils and make sure that the boiler is not sooted up. There should be a piece of twisted metal with a ring on top hanging in the boiler. That must be there to get the heat transfer needed to cool the box. By pulling the twisted piece up and down, you can get rid of any accumulated soot which will improve cooling.

OTOH, did you give it enough time to cool. It takes hours to get the refrigerator part really cold. In the hot summer, it can take 12 hours or more to get down to the final temperature.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
By the way

If the refrigerator is standing out by itself (not installed in the trailer), there will not be enough air pulled across the coils to cool it well. There are ducting requirements in order to get the thermal air currents across the coils.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Frig cooling capacity

The original (and most lp replacement friges.) do not have that much cooling capacity. The warmer the outside weather, the poorer it gets. To be assured that I do not have alot of food go bad, I fire up the unit a day before I am going to have to use the frig. If I do not have that time, I buy a 7 pound bag of ice and put it in the frig. then I buy the groceries and fire the unit up. The ice partially melts and give the unit a head start on getting cold. I also installed a 12 volt brushless computer fan in the vent space directed up the coils. Switch is by the side of the frig as is the indoor outdoor thermometer to keep tabs on the frig. temp. I turn the fan on if the frig gets over 36 F.

These fans are cheap fairly quiet units you can salvage out of an old computer power supply or buy for low cost.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Clean the flue with compressed air and tap it a bit to get the soot out, also try to take the flue apart it has a "twist thing" in side I clean mine every year and my problems go away
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Very good advice on cleaning the boiler or flue. I have found that when you tap or blow out the boiler, rust or soot can fall down into the horizontal gas tube. I take a needle tip for my air compressor and blow out the slits in the gas tube.

You need to remove the wind shield to really get to the area.

PM'd mine today since it was 70+ degrees. It took 9 hours to get the frig to 25 degrees on gas.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
hot frige

You did not say how old your unit was . I had one in a 73 and had the same problem. A friend told me to put a light layer of vaseline on the door seal all the way around.It worked . Before the vaseline I could not get the unit below 58 in the bottom and after I had to turn the temp up to keep it from freezing in the frige. Good luck
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
mfk

gwinn , Michigan
its 2 years old....the blower motor went out....
mfk is offline   Reply With Quote