Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #101
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If they switched to a 12-v-only fridge based on a danfoss compressor, it would be a huge improvement over the Demonic fridges in use up to now. Agree, however, that the one caveat is that even though danfoss-based fridges are very energy efficient compared to any other compressor-based fridge, they still will draw down a pair of cheap group 24 twelve-volt batteries faster than most would appreciate. Given our battery upgrade, we wait with anticipation for the day our Demonic fridge finally dies so we have a good excuse to replace it with a danfoss-based unit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #102
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had problems with my Dometic fridge, but they were fairly cheap repairs. The fridge was one item I didn't try to fix myself. There were several reasons we sold the Airstream, but failing appliances were one of them. After ten years, US made appliances die or already have or will soon, so after ten years of use, the Airstream had to go. We got a very good price for it.

The Norcold in our Nash works better in some ways—it cools faster. But the freezer is only really cold in the back and lower part. Anything in the door or upper front, seems to be close to freezing. It has a bigger freezer, smaller fridge box, but seems to have about the same total volume. But the Dometic was rated at 7 cubic feet, the Norcold, at 6.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
The "12-v only" refrigerator in the new Globetrotter 30 may indeed be a Danfoss compressor style. I have not yet seen a description of it, including the manufacturer.

AS simply says it is a "12-v" refrigerator.

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If they switched to a 12-v-only fridge based on a danfoss compressor, it would be a huge improvement over the Demonic fridges in use up to now. Agree, however, that the one caveat is that even though danfoss-based fridges are very energy efficient compared to any other compressor-based fridge, they still will draw down a pair of cheap group 24 twelve-volt batteries faster than most would appreciate. Given our battery upgrade, we wait with anticipation for the day our Demonic fridge finally dies so we have a good excuse to replace it with a danfoss-based unit.
Mine is still healthy, but I'm thinking about converting from our Dometic 8505 to a Nova Kool 4500. We gain more storage, and I've got plenty of lithium and solar to support it. On our last trip, the door storage in our Dometic was "luke cool".

I'd also like to rely less on propane where possible.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #105
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There's an Italian brand of danfoss-based fridge from Vitrifrigo that you might also want to look at. Here's a thread on that topic where the first post talks about that brand of fridge: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ge-111925.html

Overall, our Dometic fridge works fine, which is why we can't see replacing it until / unless it dies someday in the future. It does require that you regularly defrost it and in warmer weather it is always happier when the curb side (where our fridge is installed) is in the shade. If there's no shade, we put out the street-side awning and that also helps a good deal. Those adaptations and the fact that it still works fine overall has discouraged us from spending the money on a replacement until it's really needed.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
There's an Italian brand of danfoss-based fridge from Vitrifrigo that you might also want to look at.
Those look nice! Unfortunately, none of the sizes are ideal. There is one that fits in my cutout but it's significantly shallower and therefore has a smaller capacity than what I already have. The very nice thing about the Nova Kool 4500 is that it's almost identically sized to the existing fridge, so there is no cabinet work needed. I wouldn't mind something taller; it would be easy enough to lift that shelf a bit for more capacity, but messing with the width is not something I care to do.

Thanks for the tip, though.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I guess when deciding what kind of ridge to install, the company decides who may never go boondocking and who will always have electricity. I would guess the most expensive trailers are more likely to stay where there is electricity. When will the trailers be all electric? Perhaps when a windmill is installed on the roof.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I guess when deciding what kind of ridge to install, the company decides who may never go boondocking and who will always have electricity. I would guess the most expensive trailers are more likely to stay where there is electricity. When will the trailers be all electric? Perhaps when a windmill is installed on the roof.

We mostly stay in forest service campgrounds, but I currently have 260W of solar (about to be 560W in a few weeks) and 240Ah of lithium. Most of these danfoss compressor refrigerators use under 5A, and have a duty cycle of 1/6 to 1/3 depending on the ambient conditions. At the absolute worst, that seems to be in the vicinity of 40Ah/day, which is offset by 100W of solar for 5 hours, or 166W for 3 hours. It’s not an insignificant consumption, but with enough storage and solar, it doesn’t have to be a limitation on boondocking.

Caveat here being that we generally only camp between the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and west of the Rockies. I understand that winter boondocking in inclement weather is a different calculus. But for me, I’ll run out of grey or black space well before I run out of refrigerator power (assuming I do trade “up”).
Old 07-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #109
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Not everyone has so much solar and lithium batteries. The windmill would be especially useful when driving. And in part of the country, less sun, more clouds and rain plus trees. Not for everyone I think. Offsetting those things, more and more federal and state campgrounds have electricity (and much higher prices).

Now that we have aged, we pretty much go to only a few places closer to home and they all have electricity, so it wouldn't make much difference to me. But when I was young (in my middle 60's), it would have mattered unless I wanted to install more solar than the 200 watts I had and buy the lithium ion batteries (neither was easily or cheaply available back then). I did spend a bundle on LED's when they were very expensive and very good batteries (Lifeline) to boondock. The grey tank was always the limiting factor. The hardest time was in Yosemite in November--no electricity, cloudy and short days, lots of trees, and high canyon walls blocking direct sun. One of the few times I had to use a generator to charge the batteries.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Not everyone has so much solar and lithium batteries. The windmill would be especially useful when driving.
Yes, understood. Prices are dropping, but everything's expensive so I agree. I merely disagreed with the idea that if you have an electric fridge (or camper) that you don't boondock. Boondocking is definitely my preferred method of camping, but fossil fuels are my least preferred method of energy, so I try to balance the two where feasible. I doubt I'll make it to the level my friend has with his Alto Safari Condo camper, which has 1030W of solar and 600Ah of lithium, but my setup will suffice for our style of camping.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #111
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Curious...just un-plugged to check.

Our 17yr old Dometic 3662 2 way LP/AC. SFSG

Bob
🇺🇸

Running on LP, detector on. 🤔
We have never had a problem with reefer caused battery drain. The only time it's on AC is on the pad.👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71548F12-E83A-44B0-82A5-9241F7DE75D2_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	372908