Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Level Refrigerator During Storage

I have a 2015 Flying Cloud (Dometic fridge), if it will be stored for a while and the refrigerator is off along with the battery disconnect switch "engaged" (batteries are disconnected) ... does anyone know if it okay for the Airstream to be out of level?

In other words, is the danger of killing the fridge when the trailer is not level limited only to when the refrigerator is running (on)? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!
2015 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4, 5.7 V8
MichaelSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
It only needs to be level when running while parked. The manual also says level is not as critical when moving.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
It only needs to be level when running while parked. The manual also says level is not as critical when moving.

Al
Right on, I agree..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I always like to store my trailer level.

My theory (which is probably not accurate but makes me feel better) is if the fridge was running and the trailer is stored way off level and you power down the fridge the cooling process is still taking place for a while until the burner area cools down. I would think over the times this occurs the cooling unit's life may be shortened.

Also if the trailer is off level sideways with fridge side high, the door, which I leave ajar, when in storage wants to swing open into the aisle.

If your fridge has been off prior to storage and the burner area is cold then I guess it doesn't matter about being level.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I always like to store my trailer level.

My theory (which is probably not accurate but makes me feel better) is if the fridge was running and the trailer is stored way off level and you power down the fridge the cooling process is still taking place for a while until the burner area cools down. I would think over the times this occurs the cooling unit's life may be shortened.

Also if the trailer is off level sideways with fridge side high, the door, which I leave ajar, when in storage wants to swing open into the aisle.

If your fridge has been off prior to storage and the burner area is cold then I guess it doesn't matter about being level.
When my trailer was stored outside for the winter I tried to store it level, but not for the reason as talked about here. We go through many freeze thaw cycles here in the midwest and I always wanted water to run off the trailer naturally based on the design of the trailer. I always felt that if the trailer was sitting in a less than level situation, water may collect in an area rather than run off. Im not thinking of vast amounts of water, but water that may collect against roof hatches, the air conditioner, skylights, etc. With pooling and freezing I didn't want to provide any possibility of the freeze expansion cycle to work it's way into the trailer via water not flowing off the trailer.

Maybe it's anal in thinking but I always was more comfortable in keeping the trailer in its normal level storage position than some position that might encourage water infiltration.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Great! Thank you all for the answers & excellent points of consideration. My trailer is in short-term storage for some repair and when I went to retrieve some hiking gear from it this weekend, I found it WAY off level in the shop yard & freaked out at the thought of my frig going south early. Whew! Thank you everyone! I am a bit obsessive about keeping it level and do store it that way.
2015 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4, 5.7 V8
MichaelSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I always level the trailer when parked for longer than 20 minutes. Here's why:
*The reefer is nearly always on and cooling when we park it.
*The wife wants to keep it cooling until she unloads it which may be a few days
*The wife always wants to restart it a couple of days before we take off again to give it time to cool and to give her time to load it.
*During holidays it is sometimes used to store extra food if we have company.
*It doesn't cost much to level the trailer
*Another poster noted that water run-off is different when not level. I don't know if this will cause a leak but no need to chance it.
*Un-level just looks bad
*We must be doing something right as our rig and the original reefer in it are 50 years old and still working (knock wood)

If I had a new rig, I would still do things this way. I've heard the newer reefers are not as sensitive to out of level condition but why chance it?
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The OP specified that the fridge would be off. Agree with earlier posts -- out-of-level is fine (within reason of course).

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
its liquid ammonia. NO moving parts, must be at a terrible angle while running before you might have it get warmer due to un level liquid situiaion. It will crap out due to pre design before an un level situation hurts it.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We store our Airstream level so there is no side loading on the tires or suspension, and so the tires and suspension are more/less evenly loaded front to rear. We store it at home, and occasionally use it when our grandchildren visit (not for them but for us) so it's good to have it ready to use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
all good advices. but just curious why it won't be level in the first place?
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
For example many of us cannot store at home. Not all outside facilities provide level spots.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
You may already be doing this when storing your AS with the fridge off. Prop the fridge doors open to avoid mildew buildup inside the fridge.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
all good advices. but just curious why it won't be level in the first place?
In Post #6 -- 5 posts earlier than yours -- the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSTR View Post
. . .
My trailer is in short-term storage for some repair and when I went to retrieve some hiking gear from it this weekend, I found it WAY off level in the shop yard & freaked out at the thought of my frig going south early.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Reading this thread it occurred to me that we live on a thin crust over a molten core of a ball spinning madly through space around a minor star. And we still have to level our trailers.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Reading this thread it occurred to me that we live on a thin crust over a molten core of a ball spinning madly through space around a minor star. And we still have to level our trailers.

Mike
if you don't, it would rip a tear in space and time. leveling a trailer keeps in check.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
We had a 12 year old Dometic fridge in our Class C Motorhome. It was parked within a couple of degrees of level for the vast majority of time that we owned it. But there were times when level was not an option. Never had a hint of a problem with its operation.

Our good friends bought a Fun Finder travel trailer with a newer (2014) Dometic fridge. They poured a level pad on their property and always set it up level. The first fridge lasted 3 months and the second went nearly a year before it crapped out.

RV fridges are, by nature, not exactly robust. While being level has pretty much a mantra like status for these fridges, newer models are described as being less susceptible to leaning than older versions (like ours was).

My sense is that the rolling 4.8 quake that RVs experience while underway is much more likely to bring a newer fridge to an early demise than being a few degrees off kilter.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Level Refrigerator During Storage

We had to replace the cooling unit in the small Dometic in our prior TT (Oliver 22). The reason was leaving the fridge on while not level. A real pain although Dometic covered the part through warranty.

After buying our AS International I had a level pad poured. Serendipity sits perfectly level now.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote