Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
Larger Fridge/Freezer installation on 19CB Floorplan

I'm new to the forum, so hello everyone!

My wife and I will be ready to pull the trigger on our first RV after November, and we're seriously considering getting a new or used 2020+ Caravel 19CB. We're open to other options in that floorplan & size range, like the older 19CB Flying Cloud, but as I'm researching the specs and looking at ways we can personalize this RV for our needs, I'm thinking we'd personally like a larger freezer. The NovaCool 4500 installed in the current 19CB looks to me like it would be small for our style of camping. It's good as a fridge, but it's the freezer that seems too small.

Part of what we like in the newer Caravel 19CB Floorplan are the cabinets above and below the fridge. The shelf with the TV isn't our preference, but depending on what we find on the market we may have to work with it

OK, enough prelude, here's what I'm wondering and I'd love to hear from someone who tried this or knows more than I know:

Looking at replacing the 4500 unit, I'm thinking the NovaCool 6400D would be a good choice because the freezer on the bottom is a drawer. It's all one unit, so it would keep me from buying a separate 12v freezer to stick in the back of the truck or use under the dinette in the trailer. Also, it fits in the same cutout as the 4500 with being the same width and a little less deep. It's 47 inches tall, whereas the 4500 is 28 & 3/8 inches. It's also a compressor fridge like the newer ones in the 2020+ Caravels, so I'm pretty sure I could plug the replacement unit into the same "plugs" or whatever as the old unit, which would be super convenient for my skill level. An electrician I am not.

If I install this 6400D unit, I'll be sacrificing the upper or the lower cabinet. It would mean increased battery consumption, but I'm also planning on putting lithium & solar if I need to and getting a generator to cover that when/if needed. This appeals to me also because it would have the fridge and freezer in one unit, as opposed to a separate freezer I would have to keep track of and find a space for.

On an older 19CB floorplan with the TV shelf instead of the above cabinet, I'm thinking I'm going to want to sacrifice the lower cabinet to the freezer compartment as well as maybe some rudimentary cabinet work for any leftover space on the bottom. I'm confident in my woodworking abilities enough to create something pretty there. How tall is the bottom of that shelf? While I don't like that there's a TV there instead of a cabinet, I could suck it up and make it work.

So, does anyone have experience doing this? Am I missing something? Is this a terrible idea even though it sounds good in my head? I'd love to learn from your experience! I'm hoping that, if I get ahead on preparing for this customization, I'll be able to get it done quickly once we get the trailer. Like I said, we're not ready to pull the trigger to order or buy used until November, so hopefully this extra lead time will come in handy. Thanks everyone!
Roseberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Don’t know the particulars here but my 25’ Globetrotter has the Nova Kool RFU6800 which I believe is the next size up from the one you are thinking about. The spot you are looking to install this fridge in needs to provide the proper ventilation for the condenser fan to operate properly. Look through this thread below and there are some photos of where I pulled my fridge out to try to diagnose poor cooling issues. You can see how it fits in the opening and the ventilation required.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...er-226095.html

Also, my fridge operates off a single 12VDC circuit fused for 15 Amps. As long as you have a similar 12 V line in your current fridge you’ll probably be ok.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Spend some time in multiple models. If you are looking at 19', I'd go up to at least 25' in length in terms of what to look at. Sit for a while in each one. Understand the storage and compromises associated with each one. It may be a bit exciting to find examples of a range of Airstreams. Anything from the last couple of years should be close enough to give you an idea of what's what.

The idea is *not* to say that the 19' is in any way a bad choice. It's only to make very sure that you are OK with the size. There are a lot of folks who trade up within the first year or two. That's normally an expensive proposition. You want to buy your "forever AS" right up front if at all possible.

Why do folks start out small and move up? Some try to match the trailer to an existing tow vehicle. They then find that trade TV's far more often than trailers. There's also some who feel that a smaller trailer is the only way to go to here or there ( and then find that's not the full story). None of this may apply to you in any way.

If you are targeting a November buy, you have lots of time. Look at what's out there. Maybe even look at an Interstate GT .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
Hey jondrew55, I looked through that thread you sent, but didn't see any pictures of your reinstallation. It looked like someone else's thread (TowMater) about a similar subject. I'd love to see what you're talking about, what you're saying makes sense and might help. Can you check the link and re-send? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseberries View Post
Hey jondrew55, I looked through that thread you sent, but didn't see any pictures of your reinstallation. It looked like someone else's thread (TowMater) about a similar subject. I'd love to see what you're talking about, what you're saying makes sense and might help. Can you check the link and re-send? Thanks!
My posts are on the 3rd page of the thread They show the fridge removed and space the fridge fits in. Unfortunately this site does not handle portrait photos very well so everything looks sideways. I'll probably do my own thread once I finish working with Nova Kool. If you want to dm me an email address I'll be glad to send you the photos I have directly.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Spend some time in multiple models. If you are looking at 19', I'd go up to at least 25' in length in terms of what to look at. Sit for a while in each one. Understand the storage and compromises associated with each one. It may be a bit exciting to find examples of a range of Airstreams. Anything from the last couple of years should be close enough to give you an idea of what's what.

The idea is *not* to say that the 19' is in any way a bad choice. It's only to make very sure that you are OK with the size. There are a lot of folks who trade up within the first year or two. That's normally an expensive proposition. You want to buy your "forever AS" right up front if at all possible.

Why do folks start out small and move up? Some try to match the trailer to an existing tow vehicle. They then find that trade TV's far more often than trailers. There's also some who feel that a smaller trailer is the only way to go to here or there ( and then find that's not the full story). None of this may apply to you in any way.

If you are targeting a November buy, you have lots of time. Look at what's out there. Maybe even look at an Interstate GT .....

Bob
I appreciate the advice, and we've already done most of what you're talking about. We went to a few dealers a couple of weekends ago and were able to step in a lot of floorplans from a lot of different brands of trailers as well as a few Class B vans. We're still planning on shopping and getting a feel for the size factor, but were really impressed with how the 19CB floorplan felt. We walked into a Bambi 19CB on the lot and were thinking it would feel cramped, but were pleasantly surprised! It was the smallest on the lot, so we went down the line to 20, 22, 25, 27 feet, and on up, even though at maximum I'll only be able to tow the 23ft Flying Cloud comfortably in my truck.

We're also still looking at some vans to get an idea of the floorplans, but it's mainly to rule them out at this point. I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay that price per square foot, even though I can see some definite advantages to the mobility. I can also see some mobility advantages in a 19CB vs the 23CB Flying Cloud. Plus driving it in my truck would be more comfortable, and I don't want to upgrade to a 150/1500 truck at this stage in my life. It's just me, the wife, and a 60 lb dog, so we're pretty set on size, and I'd rather have a smaller truck as my daily driver. We'll probably use the trailer to camp ourselves, or go see family in Alabama or other parts of Florida, with longer occasional trips in the SE for now. We've got nieces and nephews galore, so this will give us a good way to see them and camp together.

Thanks for the concern, and we both loved the Interstate GT floorplan, but were only able to step inside a 24X, which we were really impressed with. However, the pricetag is still a huge hill to climb for me.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
Thanks! I have to get used to this site design I guess. I totally missed the small page numbers at the bottom of the conversation!
Old 09-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob
We have both a Interstate and a 19cb and are searching for the same information on refrigerators for the 19cb. Wondering how the question went from if a fridge will fit to what size trailer the op should buy? I’ve followed the forums for quite a while as someone who likes to fix or upgrade their own projects instead of farming them out. It would be nice to see threads stay on point a bit more, and hope this comments fits in our rules and falls in the nicest of ways. When I am searching for a specific answer, I really don’t want to fish through tons of “here’s my thoughts on why you are doing the wrong thing.” We all have our reasons for buying what we are buying. Does it have to be analyzed in every post and subject? Isn’t this watering down the point of asking questions for fixes?

I appreciate the question, as we are looking for the same answer. I hope someone who has been behind the fridge in the 19cb will give some input as to if the taller fridge will work or not. If not, I’ll be investigating the same thing, so if I get behind the bottom drawer, I’ll be happy to report back, at least what my thoughts are on it.

If you want my two cents on what the feed turned into, buy what you want to! All models have pros and cons. No matter what you buy, they all provide the same overall experience in the end. There are tons of pretty major trade-offs and major differences between a 19cb and a Interstate. We are enjoying the fact we can step side to side without asking permission like in the Interstate, but still love some of the benefits of the Interstate that I won’t go into here. Good luck in deciding what you want to replace your fridge with, and enjoy your experience when you get your trailer!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post

I appreciate the question, as we are looking for the same answer. I hope someone who has been behind the fridge in the 19cb will give some input as to if the taller fridge will work or not. If not, I’ll be investigating the same thing, so if I get behind the bottom drawer, I’ll be happy to report back, at least what my thoughts are on it.

If you want my two cents on what the feed turned into, buy what you want to! All models have pros and cons. No matter what you buy, they all provide the same overall experience in the end. There are tons of pretty major trade-offs and major differences between a 19cb and a Interstate. We are enjoying the fact we can step side to side without asking permission like in the Interstate, but still love some of the benefits of the Interstate that I won’t go into here. Good luck in deciding what you want to replace your fridge with, and enjoy your experience when you get your trailer!

Thanks Hawk-ination, and yes the thread got off topic from the original question I asked, but I did get some help from Jondrew on seeing his pics from a similar renovation. On the purchase side of things, I did indicate I was trying to figure out some of the differences between buying a used 19CB floorplan I could renovate like an older Flying Cloud, or just jumping into the newer Caravel models that might be wired already for the electric fridges. Maybe answering that question is what got things off topic a bit.

Basically, I know what I want to renovate in the 19CB floorplan, which is the floorplan the wife and I feel the best about. In the current RV market I might just get what I can get, and I can see some advantages in just building an entirely new cabinet where the fridge would go (or, more likely having my father in law build it). If I would have to build or severely renovate that fridge cabinet, maybe it would be better to get a used 19CB unit and I wouldn't feel so bad about spending the $$ in gutting a piece of it.

If I ended up getting an older unit, I'm also interested to know from people how difficult it is to move from the older style (absorption?) fridges to the newer ones that are electric. How much new wiring would be involved? Do I need to seal that outside vent that was there for the older fridge? How do I do that? Those are the kind of nitpicky questions I'm wondering about all before I get the trailer. And like I said, the market might just decide what I can get my hands on, and then I go from there. Right now we're watching RV reviews just to get a feel for what other RV manufacturers are doing out there, and when we're ready to purchase we'll probably go back to the Tampa dealer and see what the ordering timeline is, then see what there is used around us.

I'm glad you're thinking the same thought I am, and I'd love to keep in touch and see what your renovation looks like. If I start before you I'll also keep people posted along the way.

Hopefully the track has been restored. I'm just happy to be a forum newbie and a part of the community now. It's great to see the devotion people have for their Airstreams!
Old 10-22-2021, 01:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
You’re right, sorry I hijacked your Q/A. I’ve just seen a lot of posts get off base lately and you’d see a lot of them if you were on the Interstate side of it. Probably getting touchy to the drifting if you know what I mean.

We have a compressor fridge in the Interstate and discovering the pros and cons of both the compressor and the absorption fridge. I see positives and negatives both ways after having spent a few days in the trailer now.

I peeked behind the drawer under out fridge in the International and it looks to me like there’s some ducting or something running behind it. It might be related to the fridge, but I’m wondering if whatever is behind there along with the curve of the trailer might make finding one that will work in that space a challenge. If you can make a new cabinet, I’d say you are quite a few steps ahead to solving the problems to replace your unit with a bigger fridge and/or compressor style. Hopefully someone has been in that space and can tell you what is behind it, so you could make a better decision to replace it or not.

Until we upgrade the batteries which might be soon, I’m thinking I’ll stick with the absorption fridge as running on propane does give some advantage to lessen battery usage when off grid.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
We have a fc19cb with absorption fridge. Maybe get it first & work with it before changing it out. You'd be surprised what you can put into that tiny freezer! We live full time in ours, & at the height of covid I was only grocery shopping once every 2 weeks & could make it all work (though keeping a luxury like ice cream was tough!) If you went compressor fridge you wouldn't need to worry about venting. You could go up easy enough. Underneath, I believe the wheel well is there as well as some ducting I have yet to figure out. For its' size, the 19 has great storage!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Keep working on the idea of the Airstream length works for you.

How much food do you expect to keep in the Refer when going from Place A to B? Maybe C and a D.

How many Ice Cubes do you need to be content?

Grocery Stores are common place. We Off the Grid Boondock in a TENT. Did not die or find our can of Dinty Moore Stew went bad, either. Stale Apple Fritters are really... good. No kidding.

The 25 foot has the FIRST Human Bean sized Refer and Freezer. Anything shorter than 25 feet... make do with the space available.

Dry Ice in a good cooler in the back of the bed of a pickup is good. Within a SUV, not good. I hear Dry Ice is CO2 and a green house gas. Your world is silver... so who cares.

If you can keep the Refer Food Supply to FIT... you will survive at least a week. We tent camp a week and I gain weight, not from eating, but from digging around looking for my Rock Hammer and getting muscles in the process. Digging into the Refer your muscles are actual fat cells progressing but makes sitting easier, not needing a pillow for comfort.

Can goods need no cooling. Skip the lettuce, cabbage and cheese dogs. Keep more Eggs and count the number of Ice Cubes you may need in three days.

Or... to make the Math of Food Consumption work... spend another $60,000 for a 25 foot late model International. Make sure it has a Propane Refer.

You can be at a Truck Stop and eat all the ice cubes you like and have plenty of ice cubes left over. Save this ice cube tray space for something you may like to eat... like chicken wings with cottage cheese? Not my favorite, but good at giving others good... ideas?

We traveled 8 years with a small Refer in our 23 foot Safari.

What did I learn in the process?

If you like Ice Cubes... step up to a 25 foot. It is awesome.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
haha, you are right Human Bean, I never use ice! But we do keep a yeti for overflowing beverages when family comes around
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If we're getting creative .....

Various outfits make 12V powered chest coolers / freezers. They will fit in the back of a typical truck or SUV. The better ones pull <= 1.5 AH on average in fridge mode at rational temperatures. That's a massive improvement from what they made "long ago". Dometic makes some of the better ones:

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/lp/cfx3

If your truck / SUV has power to the back while rolling down the road, the gizmo stays happy while you are in motion. At 36 AH a day, a 100AH lithium battery will keep one going for almost 3 days. Yes, portable solar panels and other gizmos also will work with it.

If a couple of days more fridge capacity is a big deal, this is one way to get there. On the trips you don't need it, leave it at home. If the local Costco is a couple hour drive, they are great for an ice cream run in August ... I have data on this ...

Boy do I wish they had these back when we just used tents .....

Bob
Old 10-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Uncle Bob: August north of DuBois, Wyoming you can have all the Ice Cubes you want. If it is too warm, wait around... the Climate changes daily. Just gather them up before sunrise as they will melt.

Going to Glacial Park in NW Montana? Shovel snow out of the culverts. It is going to melt anyways and will keep well in a cooler until you get out of the area.

South of Lander, West of Atlantic City, Wyoming in July. Snow drifts the size of Airstreams among the trees. Our Blue Heelers never get hot, nor thirsty.

Medicine Bow Mountains west of Laramie. Snowy Range... get it? Snowy Range Ski Area? Spring skiing. Snowy... get there too early in the Spring and the parking lots are still snow drifts. Shaped by Glaciers. Lots of lakes. Mosquitos the size of small... birds?

Want to warm up? Badlands of South Dakota. Get Free Ice Water at Wall, South Dakota if you can find a Parking Spot.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Uncle Bob: August north of DuBois, Wyoming you can have all the Ice Cubes you want. If it is too warm, wait around... the Climate changes daily. Just gather them up before sunrise as they will melt.

Going to Glacial Park in NW Montana? Shovel snow out of the culverts. It is going to melt anyways and will keep well in a cooler until you get out of the area.

South of Lander, West of Atlantic City, Wyoming in July. Snow drifts the size of Airstreams among the trees. Our Blue Heelers never get hot, nor thirsty.

Medicine Bow Mountains west of Laramie. Snowy Range... get it? Snowy Range Ski Area? Spring skiing. Snowy... get there too early in the Spring and the parking lots are still snow drifts. Shaped by Glaciers. Lots of lakes. Mosquitos the size of small... birds?

Want to warm up? Badlands of South Dakota. Get Free Ice Water at Wall, South Dakota if you can find a Parking Spot.
Hi

Once it gets to the "shovel snow at the campsite" stage, the need for a fridge kinda goes away. Put the stuff in a (metal) box and toss the box in the snow pile. Lots less work .... Indeed even after it's not shovel snow time in the spring, that same box may do pretty well back in the shade by those remaining patches.

Note: you *do* want a metal box, if nothing else, the mice are still out looking to be fed ....

Bob
Old 11-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #17
Roseberries

2021 19' Caravel
Dade City , Florida
multiple response post

Wow, not sure how to respond to all the new posts! Thanks for your interest, I wish I could multiple quote and address all your questions. I've read them, and even started typing but either got logged out of the site or ran out of time personally to type...and what's a human bean? This newbie doesn't know the lingo yet, I guess...

So I'll do my best to get to most of them:

First, I'm not able or willing to go up to a 25' to get a bigger fridge/freezer setup. My truck won't pull it, and I don't want a bigger truck for my daily driver, which is what I'll be towing with. Also, when we looked at the 19CB Caravel at a dealer, the floorplan seemed like it would be plenty big for us and the 50 lb Goldendoodle we'll be traveling with.

Second, as much as I'd love to see your part of the country, Ray Eklund, I'm not going to be going to snow country anytime soon with my future Airstream. My work will be keeping me in Florida, we have family in Florida as well as Alabama, and don't have the ability to take off for long trips to Wyoming or the Dakotas for the foreseeable future. Would love to one day, and I'll make sure I put snow in my cooler when I do This trailer will be in warmer weather for the next ten years or so, and so I'll need to keep things cool when the temps are in the mid-90s and the sun will bake you quicker than a slice of bacon.

Third, I've looked at the Dometic route, Uncle Bob, and that's still an option. I don't have power in my truck bed, but I do have a solar generator I could use. However, some drawbacks I see is that those units are pretty costly, if I remember right more so than the replacement upright unit I was looking at. Also, it's another piece of equipment I have to remember to grab, and takes up storage space where I could store other things. You're right, though, sometimes creativity is needed.

fossil5775, thank you for letting my know how much you love your 19CB, and I might end up living with the absorption fridge for a while after I get my unit - whenever that ends up being. Since I'm in Florida I think I'd like the 12v system because it's safer to run going down the road, and I imagine I'll need to run it going down the road in all this heat. For now I'm pretty convinced I need a larger freezer for things like veggies, meat, and yes, maybe the aforementioned "Ice Cubes." I like to BBQ and often am feeding groups of people, even though they won't be in my Airstream. It would be good to fit a Boston Butt, Turkey breasts, a large pack of burgers, or a rib rack in the freezer until I need to thaw it out to cook.

So I hope I got to everyone. I am mainly interested in the technical aspects of the renovation, not on whether I need a bigger trailer. How does switching from absorption to the 12v fridge affect the wiring, as in do I need to run a new connection? Someone said it doesn't need to be vented, which is good, because it's one less place for Florida critters to get in.

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thank y'all again.