Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have a similar stove in our Sovereign. The pilot WILL still feed raw propane to the pilot, whether it is lit or not, unless you turn the main feed to "off". The main feed is that funny looking round lever located between the burner control valves, with the line running to the pilot. It looks like it is slightly turned "on" inthe picture on the right. Try lighting the pilot, and if it lights, turn the valve until the pilot goes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Here is a picture of the stove top. The close up I believe is the pilot valve. If it works like a stop cock, then I believe it is in the off position. (as in.. no gas to pilot light!) It is a little bit sideways in the picture so it will show up. Straight up and down is what I believe to be off....What do you think? Pam
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
No regulator on your propane system? Good grief! DON'T operate it until you get one. You need the regulator to prevent the possiblity of serious over-pressure in your appliances which can be very dangerous!

If your stove has the '70.s pilot valve, there will be a position marked "pilot off" on the oven knob.
Thanks for your reply... I think I might not have my terminolgy correct. My small propane tanks came equipted with the upgrade requirements that came about a few years back... is that the regulator. There is also an indicator that is supposed to tell me when the tanks are empty, but it doesn't seem to work. I have never seen the green... Here are some pictures..

Do I have a 'regulator'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane tanks 003.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	39218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane tanks 005.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	39219  

pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Your regulator, which you DO have, is in the first picture. When your arrow is pointed at a tank, that little window should display "green". Red if your have turned the know of your tank off, or if you are out of gas.

If your pilot valve is open, you will get gas coming out of that pilot light,whether lit or not. Ours actually has a valve that turns on gas to the whole stove. I turn that on, and gas comes out of the pilot light. I then open another valve to supply gas to the oven pilot, which does NOT spit out gas unless the thermocouple is hot. Go figure. I suspect that your stove may have been spewing gas your first time around.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
We have a similar stove in our Sovereign. The pilot WILL still feed raw propane to the pilot, whether it is lit or not, unless you turn the main feed to "off". The main feed is that funny looking round lever located between the burner control valves, with the line running to the pilot. It looks like it is slightly turned "on" inthe picture on the right. Try lighting the pilot, and if it lights, turn the valve until the pilot goes out.
In the picture in post #14 is the funny round thing in the far right corner or in the middle of the picture? The round dial looking thing is a mystery to me... It doesn't appear to turn... and I can't read what is on it. Thanks, Pam
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Pam,
Let me bring you up to speed. What you have is a two-stage gas pressure regulator with an automatic change-over feature.It is supposed to work as follows: The knob with the arrow is a slector valve and allows you to choose which tank is supplying gas. Just point the arrow at the tank you wish to use by twisting the knob. The round glass covered window with the slot is the gas out or gas off indicator. When you select a tank (with the selector knob) that has gas in it and open the tank valve A liitle red flag in the indicator slot window should move up and out of sight indicating that you have gas available. When you shut the tank valve off while you are using gas in the trailer the window will return to red when the pressure drops indicating again no gas if you have only one tank with gas or only one tank valve open. The purose of this system is to help you manage your gas supply. Starting with two full tanks, you select either one with the selector knob and open BOTH tank valves. The red flag will disappear indicating the tank you have selected has fuel. When that tank is empty the red flag will reappear to tell you that the first tank is empty and the change-over valve will automatically have switched to the other tank(the one to which the selector arrow IS NOT pointing). The changeover also shuts of the line to the first(empty) tank so that you can remove it to refill without gas escaping or interrupting your service. At that point , turn the selector toward the other tank which is now the supply tank.. When you put the refilled tank back on, just open the tank valve and the sytem will switch again when the second tank is empty. Etc.. Although your Fisher regulator is no longer manufactured, many other brands are available from various RV supplies. If you shut off both tank valves and open a gas valve in the trailer, the red flag should appear. If it does not, then the changeover is defective and must be replaced. It's a good system, but not intuitive. Hope this helps

P.S. Theoretically you could use this system to test for leaks by shutting off all your gas appliances and then turning the tank valves off. Since the indicator is looking for a pressure drop the red flag will appear soon if you have a leak. There are special purpose gages that you can buy to check your system. They are available from marine and rv suppliers and cost @$ 40.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Here is your picture with some labels. The pressure regulator requires no attention. The pilot shut-off lets you use propane without the stove pilots on.
The oven control should have a position for pilot off to do the same for the oven pilot. For example, if you're boondocking and trying to be parsimonius with propane, you would shut the stove pilots off when not using the stove, and then the fridge would be the only consumer of fuel. Ditto with the water heater.
The furnace has an electric ignitor and doesn't use a pilot.
Attached Images

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 06-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Excella CM! I am getting it all figured out thanks to your great help! See my PM to you.... Pam
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Here is your picture with some labels.
Bill, thanks for posting the labels. I was busy working on our trailer toiday, and didn't get to reply to Pam's question.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
The furnace has an electric ignitor and doesn't use a pilot.
How can you tell that from the picture??

The furnace in my trailer, (one year older than the one listed in Pam's profile), which has the original furnace, does indeed have a pilot.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
The furnace in my trailer, (one year older than the one listed in Pam's profile), which has the original furnace, does indeed have a pilot.
The furnace in my trailer, (one year newer than the one listed in Pam's profile), which has the original furnace, does indeed have a pilot.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It was just a gas/guess. Oops!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
The stove/oven in my trailer is not original... it is of unknown origin or year! I purchased it when I couldn't restore my old one to its original glory. This one looks like new and is a four burner, so I assume that dates to at least when Magic Chef was still making four burners... Pam