Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Help refrig failed

On my way to Bryce Canyon Utah my refrigerator failed. It will light and a strong steady flame, but it's not cooling. Items on freezer started to defrost was first big clue.
I have a 2006 Safari SE/LS 23 foot. Forgot to get model number prior to getting this wifi connection. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix? I'm heading to the North rim of the Grand Canyon in 3 days. Right now all food in a large cooler with ice.
Wifi in this park is hard to connect to and it's slow.

Thank in advance for your assistance...
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you have an ammonia odor or can see any yellow staining in the rear of the unit, the cooling unit has failed (leaks). The only repair would be a new cooling unit or a new refrigerator.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Update

Sorry for not getting back to let everyone know the outcome. Stopped at Wally World, purchased the largest cooler they had. Packed it with ice and my goodies from the frig. Called Dometic and explained situation and wanted to make sure that they had a claim in their computer because I didn't want to try and find an authorized Dometic dealer in the middle of Utah or on my way to the North Rim of Grand canyon. The cooler worked great for the rest of the trip. Once I got home, went to the local RV dealer, explained situation to him, provide info from Dometic. Next day he called Dometic, they denied knowing anything about my claim and would NOT assist in covering anything. Seems the refrig went out of warranty about 6 days prior to it crapping out. They wouldn't show any love at all. So now I call Airstream, explain situation and the next thing I know, Dometic has shipped new cooling unit to local dealer. It cost me over $200.00 to have it installed and I think it works better now than it did when it was new.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance, tip and quick response.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote