Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Globetrotter Refer problem

We have a 2018 Globetrotter with the Dometic RMD 8555 refrigerator. It previously worked well for 2 years, but now is out of warranty. Today it will not respond to the keypad, no lights, buzzers, nothing. I have verified 12 volt power ( measured 13.4 volts on terminal strip at outside rear via access door).
Can anyone provide a link to the service manual for this unit? On line I have found only manuals for older versions of the 8555. There is surely a way to test the control board without throwing a $300 new part into the beast, only to find this is not the problem.
Dometic customer support has not been helpful, they will not transfer me to dealer tech support without a dealer access code.
Any thoughts or hints will be helpful.
Stormalong
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I was not able to find any service manuals either but there is the wiring diagram on the back of my unit showing two fuses on the printed circuit board under the black plastic splash panel just above the 12 and 120 V lead wires. Those would be the first to check. The controller connects to the board as does all the wires for the buttons and displays. Can you read wiring diagrams? As far as why one might have blown, did battery voltage drop while the unit was on?
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Two ideas, both are in the maybe category.

1st https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/upl...ice-Manual.pdf this manual might cover the RMD 8555 page 4 shows model breakdown. https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/upl...structions.pdf service instructions.

2nd Are you near the Kitsap and Olympic penninsula area? Darren at My RV Works provided the links above is a mobile tech covering that area.

https://myrvworks.com/

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Nice Gary,

I looked at the service flow charts and it shows to check that there is power to the terminals then check the fuses I mentioned earlier and if they are okay, do a system reset (reboot) by cycling 12V DC power off and back on.

So you might try to reboot it first. then check the fuses. If its not those, then replace the electronics controller board.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Thanks for the link

Gary, the link to myrvworks.com/manuals is a great resource. The RMD8555 in his manuals is for an older model, different electronics and control board.
I have learned that the refer in my Globetrotter is discontinued. Anyone know what refer model is in new 27 Globetrotters?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Don't give up, yet.

I've watched many of Darren's videos hence the link etc. On his website due to virus he added a phone call tech service for a handy DIY'er. Yes it is a charged service but you can investigate. Might give you a chance to also ask Darren if he has a service manual for your newer model.

https://myrvworks.com/submit-service-request/

Are you on the road in camp right now or stored and fixing problem? There is a work around for TEMPORARY powering of AC heater to make fridge work. I'll find that video if you're interested.

I haven't looked at schematic but might be interesting to confirm that control eyebrow board is getting assumed 12VDC?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 06-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Were at home, not on the road, so I have time to deal with this. Please send me the workaround for running on AC anyway. I will continue searching for service/troubleshooting info. The eyebrow board only has a ribbon cable connection, so I need the actual schematic for this 2018 refer. Thank you for staying in touch.
Stormalong
Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Pm sent. You’re up early.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Any update?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Update on refer

Well not really an update, but here is where I'm at. Dometic customer support has supplied an owners manual and parts manual. Thanks, but I need technical troubleshooting info. Dometic said must be power supply or control board problem but cannot provide tech help. I tried Dometic Dealer site but got stopped by needing dealer login.
The unit is on the floor in my garage, today I pick up a Nova Kool AC/DC unit that fits the opening. Low correct draw and our solar panels will supply plenty of juice.
I will eventually gain access to necessary tech info, troubleshoot, and perhaps repair; but for now its time to get on with life.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Park City , Utah
Which Nova Kool model did you get that fits the opening? How do you like it? Does it work well in high outdoor temps?
DNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #12
DDR
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Pebble Beach , California
Was this issue ever resolved? I have a 2019 Globetrotter with the RMD 8555 with same issue. Mine progressed from having to push the on/off button multiple times to finally no response. Local Airstream deal said it needs a new display panel @$842.00. Not sure if the investment is worth it. Love the three mode options, but would consider going to the 12V now that I have converted to lithium batteries. Thoughts?
DDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
In our 2019 27' GT we had the junky RMD 8555. As others have experienced, ours stopped working after warranty expired. I gave up on repairing when Dinosaur Boards told me they didn't make a replacement board !! My service shop found me a 3-way that fits the original opening. It's the Dometic 10.5 EXT. I installed it and the service shop wired it for me. It's working great after over 9 weeks of travel. It has a unique feature of both doors opening from left or right !!! We did have to have Dometic find out how to reset the propane function. They did this at Rock Springs and we are very satisfied with it.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Solon , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
In our 2019 27' GT we had the junky RMD 8555. As others have experienced, ours stopped working after warranty expired. I gave up on repairing when Dinosaur Boards told me they didn't make a replacement board !! My service shop found me a 3-way that fits the original opening. It's the Dometic 10.5 EXT. I installed it and the service shop wired it for me. It's working great after over 9 weeks of travel. It has a unique feature of both doors opening from left or right !!! We did have to have Dometic find out how to reset the propane function. They did this at Rock Springs and we are very satisfied with it.

Dan
Dan - My RMD 8555 on my 2019 27 Globetrotter just gave up. What was the model number of your replacement? Any way you could take a pic?

Thx!

Tom
tgoedken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I have the 10.5XT that I had installed to replace my 8555. I do like the fridge and the door opening from both sides is really nice. However, I had to order mine from England because they were never widely available in the US, and appear to not be available anywhere now. Bummer. I ordered a replacement igniter after mine failed a few months ago and had to get it from Italy. Bought two just in case…

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoedken View Post
Dan - My RMD 8555 on my 2019 27 Globetrotter just gave up. What was the model number of your replacement? Any way you could take a pic?

Thx!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	439927  
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Tom, my new fridge is the Dometic 10.5 EXT. Shelves are stainless steel. Crisper drawer is better and larger than the 8555. I'm a snowbird so can't get you a pic. After Matt's comment about availability I'm not so confident !!!
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:18 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Solon , Iowa
Moving On to Nova Kool RFU 6800

OK - I pulled the Doemtic RMD 8555 and took that to the appliance recycle - good riddance. Boaght a $200 refirgerator from Lowes to get us by as we snowbird. Works fine and fit the space.

I went to the local AS dealer down in AZ - not impressed at all with parts/service and support - another story maybe later. JC said they couldn't help - but did send along schematics for the fridge cabinet as well and the wardrobe next to it if I need to modify the space. I'd prefer not - but that could be an option.

A Nova Kool RFU 6800 fits the space. I'm selecting the AC/DC option. Will miss the propane option - but you can't have it all sometimes.

Question - is there anything I should consider before placing the order? Size of inverter (mine is 1000)? Swap out to Lithium Ion batteries? Vent issues?

I currently use generator when off grid - but will probably bite it and get the solar (and keep the generator for cloudy days)

Any help appreciated

Thx much to all on this thread.

Tom
2019 GT 27FQ
Ford 250
tgoedken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:38 PM   #18
DDR
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Pebble Beach , California
Display Panel

I have been searching far and wide for a new or used eyebrow display panel. Price and wait times for any US suppliers not to be found. Found supplier in Australia with the best price and actual part number match. Not ready to switch and give up the propane option yet. Hope all arrives as listed. Would be interested in used eyebrow if anyone is saying goodbye to their RMD 8555.
DDR is offline   Reply With Quote