Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Fridge Pilot Won't Light

Any recommendations? Have tried turning off and on per the manual recommendation. I think I can hear the piezo clicking so likely has power.

Can this be safely lit manually?
AirDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Try purging your gas lines first. I always do when AS is sitting in storage. Just light the oven and leave on for a couple of minutes. Then try again with the Fridge.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Crack the flared fitting at the frig gas valve till you smell gas. This proves you have gas at the frig. Then try to light. It is safe to light with a match. If match will light it does it stay on? If not the proof of flame probe may not be in the flame or bad. loosen the connection at the gas valve and retighten to make a good connection. Try again.

Sometimes spider nests or stink bugs will get in the burner tube and cause no flame or poor flame.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Don't know if this will help but, I have the same problem from time to time. It seems that if the pilot blows out on my last leg before going into storage, I have a problem relighting when coming out of storage. Burner jet can get clogged and is worth checking.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I have had same problem, and ends up just being hard to light sometimes. Do run gas on the stove first and let it burn for a minute. Then turn on and off the fridge every 1 to 2 minutes. That worked for me - after about the 10th time. let us know how it works out.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
After storage it is a common occurrence. I pull the plug on shore power (electric). I ignite all the "larger" propane items first. 1. the stove - using a long handle lighter - all burners - and keep them lit. (Turn on your stove fan for venting) 2. Oven 3. Water heater - (if water is in system) make sure on gas setting - not electric. This option is on most newer models 4. Interior Heater (using thermostat) 5. After all of these have run for several minutes, now turn on your refrigerator (on gas setting - I pull the plug for shore power.) To check it - go outside and open the trap door that's for your fridge. There should be a clicking sound (the ignitor). Next you should hear a poof and the flame should come on. You can see it behind the metal shield. 6. Now turn off all your other propane fixtures, but keep the fridge on for a while.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
IIRC the fridge doesn't have a pilot per se. It has a variable flame that burns big when the fridge needs to cool and low when it is cold enough.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The flame distributor may be plugged with debris from the chimney. It is a small plate with slots to spread the gas into a flame. You may also need to adjust the spark to be in the middle of the flame. If it is a bad spark you should be able to light the flame with a BBQ lighter. See also Howie E's remarks...right on! You need to remove the shroud around the flame and try blowing the distributor off with air or a soft brush. If that helps then you probably should disassemble the gas tube and clean it all out. Then blow out the chimney to get rid of the accumulated rust.
My older fridges always had this problem after a long winter's storage.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote