Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Fridge help

We bought a 2009 27FB International last Nov., all seems to be great. We left Calif. the last week of May for North Carolina, the fridge worked fine when the unit is parked on gas or electric--when on the road and set on auto, the gas light comes on but the fridge does not maintain the cold temp--goes from 37 the start of the day to 50 by the time we park it for the day. Any ideas as to what I should do??
Thanks
Chuck
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Chuck, and welcome to the forums!

Did you park your Airstream in a nice, level spot? We've found that the newer refrigerator in our vintage rig is much more sensitive to level than our old, dearly-departed one.

Lynn
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Visalia , California
It works fine when parked, it was on the road driving in 100 degree weather that it would not keep cold, as soon as we parked it worked fine on gas and electric
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Open the freezer door, there should be two switches inside the top edge right side, make sure they are both off.

A small battery powered circulation fan inside the fridge section helps too. Inspect seals both doors.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ah, ok! Are you sure that it was actually running while underway? Sometimes those fridges need a baffle of sorts to prevent winds from blowing out the little flame. I'm sure some of the others will jump in with more details on this.

Lynn
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Visalia , California
The seals all look good, I can not find two switches, only the controls switch on/off -- control auto, gas -- and temp.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingers View Post
The seals all look good, I can not find two switches, only the controls switch on/off -- control auto, gas -- and temp.
On our 03 Classic they are inside, on the left upper edge of the freezer door opening, one will keep the light on when the door is closed to raise fridge temp when camping in cold weather. The other, I haven't figured out yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
On our 03 Classic they are inside, on the left upper edge of the freezer door opening, one will keep the light on when the door is closed to raise fridge temp when camping in cold weather. The other, I haven't figured out yet.
The other one heats up the area between the freezer door and the fridge door to reduce condensation from forming in that area during high humidity times.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Visalia , California
This fridge/freezer does not have a door switch or light in the freezer
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingers View Post
This fridge/freezer does not have a door switch or light in the freezer
Must be a different model....our light in main compartment stayed on all the time when we took delivery, took awhile to figure out what that one switch did, dealer didn't know either...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Open the refrigerator door and look up at the frame, just below the freezer door. Mine is mounted horizontally and points down. It is a black toggle switch that helps mediate frosting by heating the back side of the compartment. I seldom use it and never turn it on when I am boondocking.

I would be surprised if your original unit does not have this switch. Keep looking, lay on the floor if necessary and look up. It is sort of a stealth switch not meant to been seen by the regular crowd. Must be Airstream's version of the secret handshake.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Visalia , California
I looked again, our frig is a Dometic frig/freezer and is two years old, no other switches in view other than the three that controls the unit;
Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Ah, ok! Are you sure that it was actually running while underway? Sometimes those fridges need a baffle of sorts to prevent winds from blowing out the little flame. I'm sure some of the others will jump in with more details on this.

Lynn
+1. If the flame blows out more than a couple of times the controls won't try to restart it for an extended period (an hour or so, I think). Sometimes it's because of high crosswinds and there's nothing you can do about it. In some cases, it's possible to fashion a baffle or windscreen of some kind to protect the burner from wind while still allowing combustion air to enter.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Visalia , California
Thanks for your reply, I ran the unit all day yesterday (we are parked) on gas and it worked perfect. Any ideas on a baffle?? I was thinking some heavy duty foil on the bottom half of the air intake vents on the cover door.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
On our '63 I used a cut down screen door guard, (one with the medium size holes), that I could put over the opening while on the road. Allowed air in but broke up the draft enough to keep the burner going.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
I installed a computer fan on the fridge exterior hatch and pointed it up so that it would send fresh air over the heat exchanger and out the vent. I ran wire to a switch inside the trailer I have a couple pictures on my thread. "1956 bubble restoration start to finish". It's maybe on page 12 or so? I can't remember. But maybe something that helps your fridge? I haven't used it in hot weather yet as the maiden voyage is next week. I'm also using a baffle. Cheers Ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Here it is. In my case I have to use a baffle so I can cool using just one vent. Its a retrofit of what i hsd to work with The fan pulls air from the lower section and passes out the top. It's remarkable how much air a simple fan moves. I'll find out in august how it works in warmer conditions. It's only in the 70s in Oregon now in early summer. Cheers. Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3092555027.png
Views:	120
Size:	762.5 KB
ID:	131484  
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chuck,

Our fridge has with one exception maintained a temperature of 39-41˚. The exception was when the temp was above 100˚ (106˚ at one place) for a couple of hours while we were driving. Then it went up to the upper 40's. We have a small battery powered fan in the fridge, but not elsewhere.

It was at the end of July in Utah. We stopped for the night in Green River, put out the awning to shade the trailer, turned on the A/C and waited for hours for the interior and the fridge to cool down.

This sounds similar to your experience. There is a setting to lower the temp in the fridge and you may use that to start the day at a lower temp.

We also bring some gel packs and keep them frozen in the freezer. If the fridge fails, we can use those to keep food cold for a while. We have a cooler with us and can cool it with the gel packs (those hard blue plastic things) if we pick up cold or frozen items at a store and it will be a while before we get back to the trailer.

We try to stay away from 90˚ temps as Airstreams aren't really that good in very hot conditions—insulation is thin, windows are single pane, A/C can't keep up.

And, your profile needs amending for a different trailer (or an extra one).

Lynn, I've read the newer fridges are less sensitive to being off level than older ones. I'm surprised to see you say the opposite.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, you could park our rig on a mountain side, and the old fridge would work. Not so with the new one.

Lynn
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Oh, you could park our rig on a mountain side, and the old fridge would work. Not so with the new one.

Lynn
Lynn, how strange. But you could bring both and be sure one would always work.

After reading all too many refrigerator stories, I've come to believe QC isn't all that good—some last for decades without problems and some always seem to be cranky. This somehow reminds me I have a taillight out (turn/brake works) and have to go test it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote