Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Fridge Fell Out; Advice Needed

Hello,

I need help. I am desperate for ideas and just devastated.

I eagerly awaited my 2021 27 FB Twin Globetrotter and took it out to some well maintained BLM campsites in the Carrizo Plains.

The refrigerator completely fell out of its enclosing damaging many things along the way.

Orange County Airstream has had it for 4 weeks and is STILL waiting for Airstream to authorize warranty work.

I even submitted to the video to demonstrate I wasn't off-roading with the thing. I was running my GoPro to later make a home video because I was so excited about the first trip out.

LONG REAL-TIME VERSION

8X-SPEED UP VERSION

You may notice in this version when we arrive at the campground, we find refrigerator door had come open. I chalked that up to vibrations and couldn't have predicted that it was a sign of tipping. That should of been my first sign something was off. However, we are new Airstream owners (maybe soon to be ex-owners -so we didn't know any better.)

It was only 3 days later on the way out of the campground that it actually tipped over.

What can I do? It can't take this long for Airstream to authorize warranty work? What options do I have, here? Who can I call to get some help? The dealer says their hands are tied.

I have lost so much faith in Airstream right now. I went to such great lengths to acquire my trailer. Like so many of you, I was sold on it's durability and the "Wally" promise. I drank that kool-aid.

When I say the refrigerator fell out, I mean ... it fell out and over and broke the oven door and everything. Literally, tipped over.

I wish I had a good picture, just this video when I took when I dropped it off back at the dealer.

It's hard to see the devastation because I put it back in its cubby to get home instead of leaving it leaned over, but you can clearly see the dent in the refrigerator where it hit the oven door.

Sincerly,

A devestated new Airstream owner
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Man, I feel for you!

Call Airstream directly and escalate... and they will help your dealer prioritize the repair.

This is highly unusual - there are two significant lag bolts (at least in the 3-way units) on the back side of the fridge that bolt it to the floor. My only hypothesis is that these were not installed, which would be a crazy but probably oversight. If these new 2-way units don’t have lag bolts securing them than that is troublesome (if you have a 2-way unit)

As to the delay in repair that is likely on your dealer.

I have no doubt airstream will authorize all the repairs to include a new fridge, oven, cabinets, etc. will take some to more for them to ship all the components. But I’m sure they will make it right.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , California
Why am I not surprised

Man I feel for you, seriously. I’ve been reading so many stories, almost daily, of brand new airstreams having left the factory missing parts, not being assembled correctly, or at all. It’s insane! I was dead set on buying one, but it’s obvious a major purchase so I was doing my research. What I’ve read so far has me, and I’m sure many others to decide against it. This reputation will eventually catch up to them. Right now they are resting on their laurels, which is the beginning of the end. I hope they work it out for you, it may take a lot of time and frustration on your end (which shouldn’t happen) and eventually you’ll probably enjoy it, but to start off this way sure is a major buzz kill.
Britbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Hitting them cattle guards like that don’t help anything...next your frame will break
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Hitting them cattle guards like that don’t help anything...next your frame will break
You think so? Didn't seem that fast to me, but what do I know.

I have the lift kit.

Here is a spot where I hit the guards at actual speed. Filmed with a Gopro with a super wide FOV so it's hard to judge the speed, but it's not fast?

https://youtu.be/GCQXa2hMgpA?t=380
Old 10-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Man, I feel for you!

Call Airstream directly and escalate... and they will help your dealer prioritize the repair.
The dealer doesn't seem to be the problem. It's in the repair bay. They are saying Airstream hasn't authorized the warranty repair.

I did call Airstream and left a long, firm, but a polite message.

If they won't get back to the dealer (who owns Los Angeles, Orange County, and Las Vegas Airstream dealers) what chance do I have?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
[QUOTE=AirParkOnly;2422568]You think so? Didn't seem that fast to me, but what do I know.

I have the lift kit...that does nothing , except raise the trailer..I have one also..I drive very slow off the highway...I don’t like rock dents....or loose rivets..

Here is a spot where I hit the guards at actual speed. Filmed with a Gopro with a super wide FOV so it's hard to judge the speed, but it's not fast?

[url]https://youtu.be/GCQXa2hMgpA?t=380[/url
Old 10-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Lift kit doesn’t strengthen the trailer..it just raises it...I have one also...and I drive slow off the highway..I don’t like loose rivets, or rock dents...or things falling apart.......your trailer....just my opinion..
Old 10-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Man, I feel for you!

If these new 2-way units don’t have lag bolts securing them than that is troublesome (if you have a 2-way unit)
It's the 2-way. We found the bolts on the floor. I couldn't be sure. It looked like one was ripped out.

The back panel (behind the fridge) was split.

EVERYONE at the dealer was surprised when I brought it back 4 days after delivery.

I'm pretty convinced mine was either not assembled correctly or the design for the refrigerator mount is bad, or both.

Regardless, 4 weeks with no answer either way is unacceptable. Tell me no, so I can get on with whatever the next step is. Don't just not answer. That's a real **** move.

I don't know how hard the dealer is trying to get it resolved. I'm not super happy with their lack of communication, but I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
I understand your preferences and respect them.

I justed want to be absolute sure that I understand that it is your opinion is that I hit the Cattle Guards at to high of a speed for the tolerances of the trailer, thus causing this damage.

That's different than say, you don't like the way I tow in a general sense. That is also fine, I'm not bothered and am thankful for the input, perspective and you would bother at all to share your experience. Cheers.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Refrigerator fell out; Airstream giving me the run around

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
I understand your preferences and respect them.

I justed want to be absolute sure that I understand that it is your opinion is that I hit the Cattle Guards at to high of a speed for the tolerances of the trailer, thus causing this damage.

That's different than say, you don't like the way I tow (which is also fine, I'm not bothered and am thankful for the inputs.)

Don’t sweat that cattle guard. I watched your video - that was nothing. I’ve pulled my 2 airstreams 30k+ miles and have pounded them much, much worse than that.

There are plenty of airstreams that get pulled 1,400 miles along the washboard Alaska highway and back and survive just fine.

PS - sent you a PM with some contact info at airstream for what it is worth. Hope this turns out well.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Poulsbo , Washington
Question Wow!

When I read stories like this my anxiety level goes into overdrive. I just traded in my 2017 Flying Cloud and ordered a 2021 25 GT. Sure, my older Airstream had some issues but I was able to fix most of them except for the furnace not working, but all of these new issues I am reading about with the newer models are really concerning.

Are these just exceptions and are most of the 2021's fairly defect free or is that just wishful thinking? Sometimes we only focus on the bad news and that skews our perception?
dford77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
Send email

Send a polite and detailed email to:

Rmcneeley@airstream.com

I believe you will get a reply.

Would suggest no nastiness.

Good luck.
Kentbrookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Shreveport , Louisiana
Have 2018 Classic 33fbt that I purchased used this year. Had few issues and called AS service direct and while not Johnny on the Spot they always called and emailed resolution. One on Proj Tv took approx. 30 days to resolve but it was resolved.
3 weeks at dealer with 0 reasonable response is not acceptable as they have first line contact with AS. Something is going on and I for one would go direct to owner of dealership
Best of luck, once issues are resolved AS are the best and one of a kind trailers
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentbrookin View Post
Send a polite and detailed email to:

Rmcneeley@airstream.com

I believe you will get a reply.

Would suggest no nastiness.

Good luck.
Can you provide some information as to who you are suggesting for contact? We are trying to cut through the red tape on who to contact as we are having some very significant issues with our 2020 Caravel.

Thanks!
douayha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You will never know. Some say that we only get posts from people having problems and the thousands of other trailers are all just fine. While I tend to agree that people having problems are inclined to post, I refuse to believe that the silent majority are trouble free. The kinds of things that people report these days are systemic QA/QC problems, not obligatory for a "handmade" product.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are saddened to hear of your refrigerator mishap. That should not have happened under any circumstances. We have been Airstreaming for a long time and have had a number of various things come loose over the years, but never the refrigerator. We have almost 200,000 miles of Airstream towing under our belt. We have been on some pretty rough roads. Many were rougher than shown in your video. We have had our printer fly out of an overhead cabinet and our toaster oven fly off of the counter onto the floor, but the factory installed stuff always made it through.

It greatly saddens me to hear how the dealer has treated you. He should have gotten right on it and and had it done in a day or two whether Airstream approved or not. This was not your fault, and should be made right by the dealer and/or Airstream in a very timely manner.

I am afraid that Airstream is being pressured to produce more and more trailers, and that quality control is deteriorating.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbox View Post
Man I feel for you, seriously. I’ve been reading so many stories, almost daily, of brand new airstreams having left the factory missing parts, not being assembled correctly, or at all. It’s insane! I was dead set on buying one, but it’s obvious a major purchase so I was doing my research. What I’ve read so far has me, and I’m sure many others to decide against it. This reputation will eventually catch up to them. Right now they are resting on their laurels, which is the beginning of the end. I hope they work it out for you, it may take a lot of time and frustration on your end (which shouldn’t happen) and eventually you’ll probably enjoy it, but to start off this way sure is a major buzz kill.
It's worse than you read! Lots of us do not write the ongoing nightmares.
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Man, I really feel for you! That just plain sucks.

I had my 2020 25RB in for over a month to get the dead bolt to lock from the inside and replace the propane tanks cover, installed the stainless steel hood exterior vent (which I ordered myself when ours failed on a long trip) and a few other little issues. I was told the same thing. Once Airstream finally approved it they were finished in one day. They said the main problem is getting OEM parts on a timely schedule. It took 2 months for the cover to arrive and that Airstream ships the new trailers out and expect the dealers to fix the issues they screwed up during production. I am so glad my trailer was manufactured in 2019 before this pandemic hit us.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Warranty Work Too

AirPark - I too had warranty work that needed done. It did not take 4 weeks! More like 1. My issue was much bigger than yours and nobody at the Airstream repair shop, nor Johnson Center, could believe the problem I had until my repair shop shared pics around to the mothership. One thing I learned about JC, they do not answer emails. You have to call direct to the warranty repair people. You need to be able to tell them where your AS is at, who the POC is and their telephone number. Then, turn around and call the repair shop, tell them who you talked to at JC and share the same info in reverse. Get those two to talk to each other!!! One thing I suspect. Because of the enormous sales currently occurring, there is probably a back log of work to be done at your repair center. You're just stuck in line behind everyone else. Good luck with your repairs! Oh, and a little hint. Before trips check EVERYTHING to make sure they're secure. Takes about 10 minutes to wiggle and push at items everywhere in and outside the camper. I even add in testing screw heads. It's all basic preventative maintenance checks and services.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote