Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
AirPark - I too had warranty work that needed done. It did not take 4 weeks! More like 1. My issue was much bigger than yours and nobody at the Airstream repair shop, nor Johnson Center, could believe the problem I had until my repair shop shared pics around to the mothership. One thing I learned about JC, they do not answer emails. You have to call direct to the warranty repair people. You need to be able to tell them where your AS is at, who the POC is and their telephone number. Then, turn around and call the repair shop, tell them who you talked to at JC and share the same info in reverse. Get those two to talk to each other!!! One thing I suspect. Because of the enormous sales currently occurring, there is probably a back log of work to be done at your repair center. You're just stuck in line behind everyone else. Good luck with your repairs! Oh, and a little hint. Before trips check EVERYTHING to make sure they're secure. Takes about 10 minutes to wiggle and push at items everywhere in and outside the camper. I even add in testing screw heads. It's all basic preventative maintenance checks and services.
DAVSCH, what sort of issues did you run into with your Sport that JC couldn't believe?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #22
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
Hello,

I need help. I am desperate for ideas and just devastated.

I eagerly awaited my 2021 27 FB Twin Globetrotter and took it out to some well maintained BLM campsites in the Carrizo Plains.

The refrigerator completely fell out of its enclosing damaging many things along the way.

Orange County Airstream has had it for 4 weeks and is STILL waiting for Airstream to authorize warranty work.

I even submitted to the video to demonstrate I wasn't off-roading with the thing. I was running my GoPro to later make a home video because I was so excited about the first trip out.

LONG REAL-TIME VERSION

8X-SPEED UP VERSION

You may notice in this version when we arrive at the campground, we find refrigerator door had come open. I chalked that up to vibrations and couldn't have predicted that it was a sign of tipping. That should of been my first sign something was off. However, we are new Airstream owners (maybe soon to be ex-owners -so we didn't know any better.)

It was only 3 days later on the way out of the campground that it actually tipped over.

What can I do? It can't take this long for Airstream to authorize warranty work? What options do I have, here? Who can I call to get some help? The dealer says their hands are tied.

I have lost so much faith in Airstream right now. I went to such great lengths to acquire my trailer. Like so many of you, I was sold on it's durability and the "Wally" promise. I drank that kool-aid.

When I say the refrigerator fell out, I mean ... it fell out and over and broke the oven door and everything. Literally, tipped over.

I wish I had a good picture, just this video when I took when I dropped it off back at the dealer.

It's hard to see the devastation because I put it back in its cubby to get home instead of leaving it leaned over, but you can clearly see the dent in the refrigerator where it hit the oven door.

Sincerly,

A devestated new Airstream owner
You are lucky that’s all that happened as fast as you were towing. An expensive lesson created by your actions. Hope Airstream forgives you.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #23
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
California has a Lemon Law that may apply to you: https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/au.../lemon-law.php

As it appears your trailer has been out of service for more than 30 days, I would start the process, and write directly to Airstream HQ threatening legal action.

Good luck!
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Huntington Beach , California
We had similar service issues with OC Airstream- delayed authorization as the supposed reason for non service & they’d cannibalized it by removing a switch from the wall of our brand new Airstream. If you haven’t already, you will probably hear directly from Airstream at Jackson Center, Ohio. They monitor airforums & reached out to us. We now have service done only in Portland, Oregon & it has been perfect- so much better than the dealers in So. Cal.
KatherineHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
We've camped at the KCL campground several times over the past 30 years. The washboard Soda Lake Road can be very rough.

I've taken our 2005 Interstate Sprinter twice and lots of stuff fell off the walls. We drove it in a light rain one Spring and found the alkaline-clay road very slick and difficult to navigate.

I would never take our Airstream trailers on Soda Lake Road. Friends of ours drove the road north from Highway 58, past KCL south to Highway 166. The refrigerator in their 25 Flying Cloud became dislodged and the overhead bathroom cabinet fell off.

The OP's GoPro (most likely a wonderful stabilized version) video really doesn't convey the roughness.

We still enjoy KCL but in our RAM 2500, which is still a teeth rattler.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a nightmare.

I would get on the phone to JC and not rest until you have spoken with someone with enough authority to address your issues with your brand new trailer.

Four weeks is ridiculous.

There used to be an Airstream, Inc., member here, who seemed to be in place to troubleshoot issues posted about here, but haven’t seen him in awhile.

If you financed your trailer, may have a conversation with your lender and see if they have any suggestions or can be of assistance.

Perhaps also your insurance company.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 10-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #27
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
no way that road on a new trailer should be beyond what they are suppose to be built for!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
We've camped at the KCL campground several times over the past 30 years. The washboard Soda Lake Road can be very rough.

I've taken our 2005 Interstate Sprinter twice and lots of stuff fell off the walls. We drove it in a light rain one Spring and found the alkaline-clay road very slick and difficult to navigate.

I would never take our Airstream trailers on Soda Lake Road. Friends of ours drove the road north from Highway 58, past KCL south to Highway 166. The refrigerator in their 25 Flying Cloud became dislodged and the overhead bathroom cabinet fell off.

The OP's GoPro (most likely a wonderful stabilized version) video really doesn't convey the roughness.

We still enjoy KCL but in our RAM 2500, which is still a teeth rattler.
To expand on my previous post. We drove on a lot of washboard on the Alaska Highway in 2016 in our 2014 23D. We traveled with the same friends with the FC25 that I mentioned earlier. Our microwave came dislodged but thankfully only fell halfway out. It was not screwed in to the inner frame so was just floating. We also lost a few rivets and experienced loose cabinets. Our friend's FC25 as well as others on the trip experienced lots of loosening of cabinets, dislodged shower doors etc.

All of the Alaska Highway washboard was fresh and was the result of annual road maintenance to repair permafrost damage. Most was wet, soft and muddy. In contrast, the Soda Lake washboard is old and gnarly and much more jarring so unfortunately was the ultimate test for the OP.

After the first washboard day, most of us (7 trailers) decided to test and tighten all of the interior screws that we could and actually added a few screws to overhead cabinets.

Airstream apparently doesn't anticipate anything but smooth asphalt. Falling fridges, microwaves and overhead bathroom cabinets are nothing new in Airstreams. Wally's world caravan trailers might have been built tougher or were reinforced for rough road conditions.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:44 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Adams Run , South Carolina
Just worked on mine

I just had to slide my fridge out to replace the drain line. From the interior there were 2 screws at the top and 2 screws at the bottom. From the exterior there was 2 screws holding it down at the bottom a total of 6 screws altogether. Somehow I do not believe this was the case with your airstream.
Markhambryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Call Airstream customer service everyday. Maybe even twice a day.

You have had a QC failure, so it is your legal right to solicit help from the manufacturer. Keep a log of every call (and I mean every call) that was answered or unanswered. If they put you on hold and never get back, log it. You are building a case for breech of contract to support the warranty and documenting their dis-interest in addressing the issue. Lawyers love good documentation.

It is about time a class action be formed to get Airstream's attention. The same lousy workmanship on the same parts has gone on for years and has been documented by an uncountable number of customer posts herein.

If the coach is financed, get the lender involved as their collateral's value is tanking.

We had major issues as I watched the Classic being built every day and seeing the 23D with no name on the back, but I was aware of both of the two dealerships involved and factory's incompetence and took both the 2014 Classic and the 2015 23D International Serenity to an independent vintage Airstream restorer.

We spent over 50% of the two purchase prices to make the units usable to our standards. It was my expense, but the mods were made and the best parts for the job were used to the extent that we are extremely happy with the two units now. Cabinets and appliances stay put, cabinet doors and drawers stay closed, the wiring has all commercial grade 20 amp GFI Hubbell outlets and all are powered by the inverter so all are hot even when on the substantial lithium battery systems. We have had replacement with Marmoleum of both poorly installed and failed factory flooring materials in the first months.

So welcome to the long line of extremely disgusted customers of recent builds.

Our 2013 25FB International Serenity was built in June of 2012 when production was 26 units per week. No issues. Our 2014 Classic was built in January 2014 when the rate was 41 units per week. I saw the stop watch chap outside as three trades were working in the dinette area of the coach. The 23D was built in September 2014 when the build rate was 51 units per week. As avarice pushed to ever faster building, the quality has tanked.

Our restorer will not work on the new Airstreams to fix the factory issues. It took three days to sort the pile of wires in the back of a 2019 33' Classic to try to find the source of a problem. Dometic changed the design of the furnace so it can not be serviced from outside of the trailer. The cabinet covering the new furnace has to be removed to access the furnace for repairs now.

The list goes on.

Wear out your phone calling.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We have a 2019 international. I've been to JC a couple times for warranty work. Never an issue.

I know several of the mechanics, a couple service managers, and they've always been excellent to work with.

One mechanic even stopped by the terraport after hours to chat with my wife and I.

I rarely air dirty laundry in public.

Methinks one may catch more bees with honey than vinegar in rural Ohio.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , California
This is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Call Airstream customer service everyday. Maybe even twice a day.

You have had a QC failure, so it is your legal right to solicit help from the manufacturer. Keep a log of every call (and I mean every call) that was answered or unanswered. If they put you on hold and never get back, log it. You are building a case for breech of contract to support the warranty and documenting their dis-interest in addressing the issue. Lawyers love good documentation.

It is about time a class action be formed to get Airstream's attention. The same lousy workmanship on the same parts has gone on for years and has been documented by an uncountable number of customer posts herein.

If the coach is financed, get the lender involved as their collateral's value is tanking.

We had major issues as I watched the Classic being built every day and seeing the 23D with no name on the back, but I was aware of both of the two dealerships involved and factory's incompetence and took both the 2014 Classic and the 2015 23D International Serenity to an independent vintage Airstream restorer.

We spent over 50% of the two purchase prices to make the units usable to our standards. It was my expense, but the mods were made and the best parts for the job were used to the extent that we are extremely happy with the two units now. Cabinets and appliances stay put, cabinet doors and drawers stay closed, the wiring has all commercial grade 20 amp GFI Hubbell outlets and all are powered by the inverter so all are hot even when on the substantial lithium battery systems. We have had replacement with Marmoleum of both poorly installed and failed factory flooring materials in the first months.

So welcome to the long line of extremely disgusted customers of recent builds.

Our 2013 25FB International Serenity was built in June of 2012 when production was 26 units per week. No issues. Our 2014 Classic was built in January 2014 when the rate was 41 units per week. I saw the stop watch chap outside as three trades were working in the dinette area of the coach. The 23D was built in September 2014 when the build rate was 51 units per week. As avarice pushed to ever faster building, the quality has tanked.

Our restorer will not work on the new Airstreams to fix the factory issues. It took three days to sort the pile of wires in the back of a 2019 33' Classic to try to find the source of a problem. Dometic changed the design of the furnace so it can not be serviced from outside of the trailer. The cabinet covering the new furnace has to be removed to access the furnace for repairs now.

The list goes on.

Wear out your phone calling.
Thank you. I’ve read so many stories of new trailers costing $70-$100k with a massive list of failures resulting in the first few months it’s beyond astounding! I actually don’t know how there isn’t a class action already! It’s almost as if there’s this brand loyalty cult like mentality where everyone has drank the kool-aid and acts like this is just a part of the “experience” and is “normal” and thus acceptable. It’s fascinating really.
A fool and his money are soon parted......
Britbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
?#1...have you TALKED to anyone directly at JC? Forget leaving messeges.
That absolutely needs to be done. Keep a log of all correspondence.
Is the dealer the one doing the repair or is it being contracted out?

POI...I learned 30yrs ago that anything over 25mph on the back roads of the Adirondack SP was asking for trouble. (not quite to your extreme though)

Good Luck

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #34
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
Hello,

I need help. I am desperate for ideas and just devastated.

I eagerly awaited my 2021 27 FB Twin Globetrotter and took it out to some well maintained BLM campsites in the Carrizo Plains.

The refrigerator completely fell out of its enclosing damaging many things along the way.

Orange County Airstream has had it for 4 weeks and is STILL waiting for Airstream to authorize warranty work.

I even submitted to the video to demonstrate I wasn't off-roading with the thing. I was running my GoPro to later make a home video because I was so excited about the first trip out.

LONG REAL-TIME VERSION

8X-SPEED UP VERSION

You may notice in this version when we arrive at the campground, we find refrigerator door had come open. I chalked that up to vibrations and couldn't have predicted that it was a sign of tipping. That should of been my first sign something was off. However, we are new Airstream owners (maybe soon to be ex-owners -so we didn't know any better.)

It was only 3 days later on the way out of the campground that it actually tipped over.

What can I do? It can't take this long for Airstream to authorize warranty work? What options do I have, here? Who can I call to get some help? The dealer says their hands are tied.

I have lost so much faith in Airstream right now. I went to such great lengths to acquire my trailer. Like so many of you, I was sold on it's durability and the "Wally" promise. I drank that kool-aid.

When I say the refrigerator fell out, I mean ... it fell out and over and broke the oven door and everything. Literally, tipped over.

I wish I had a good picture, just this video when I took when I dropped it off back at the dealer.

It's hard to see the devastation because I put it back in its cubby to get home instead of leaving it leaned over, but you can clearly see the dent in the refrigerator where it hit the oven door.

Sincerly,

A devestated new Airstream owner
Hi AirParkOnly,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and escalate it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I lower tire pressure on all rough roads and washboards to around 45 psi. Highway I run at 65 which is 15 lbs below max recommended which is 80 psi. It seems to helps keep things together.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Unless I'm missing something, I find it hard to fathom that a cattle guard traversed at 30 or so MPH would shear the mounting bolts allowing the fridge to fall out, let alone break a frame (unless that was a joke).

If that were the case, some of the potholes I've hit would have my Airstream split in half.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Response to PB_NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
DAVSCH, what sort of issues did you run into with your Sport that JC couldn't believe?

My driver's side wheel well (molded Plastic) had warped inwards so far the tire had rubbed a half-moon hole through it. According to the warranty people at Airstream, that had never happened before. My service people had to lift the shell ever so slightly to take pressure off the old piece and insert the new one. Problem is solved now. It took about 3 weeks all-told. The longest part was waiting for the new part from Ohio. I suspect the original got warped while they lowered the shell onto it. I just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and everything looks good.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
AirParkOnly,

Airstream Corp. has heard your issue and has offered to help. Reference their post above. Get in touch with them ASAP.

From my many years of Airstream ownership experience I have no doubt the folks at Jackson Center/Airstream will get your issues resolved to your satisfaction.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
AirParkOnly,

Airstream Corp. has heard your issue and has offered to help. Reference their post above. Get in touch with them ASAP.

From my many years of Airstream ownership experience I have no doubt the folks at Jackson Center/Airstream will get your issues resolved to your satisfaction.
All due respect, that is a boiler plate response from the official Airstream forum account. Many have done as suggested and either took several weeks to get a response or got nothing at all. I think a phone call would yield better results than following the standard forum response Aistream throws out here on the forum.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree.

Respond to Airstream, Inc., but get someone on the phone at JC.

And please keep this thread updated as to how this resolves.

Maggie