Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #21

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Fridge does not need to be on for fan to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I have a twist on the OP's original question. Is it normal for the refrigerator fan to run even when the refrigerator is turned off?

I read somewhere that the fan circuit is powered independently from the refrigerator which might explain why it can be on even with the fridge turned off but like I said, I never noticed it doing this before. I'd like to verify that I haven't inadvertently screwed something up or that the thermistor hasn't just coincidentally failed. Any insight would be appreciated.
No you did not screw anything up. The other day when the temps were 100+ I went into the trailer and turned on the battery power I heard the fridge fan come on even through the fridge was turned off. Today when I was in the trailer again in 80 degree weather the fan did not come on. 15 minutes after turning the fridge on to get ready for my trip tomorrow it came on.
What is the temp the switch is set at to come on?

Thanks,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
No you did not screw anything up. The other day when the temps were 100+ I went into the trailer and turned on the battery power I heard the fridge fan come on even through the fridge was turned off. Today when I was in the trailer again in 80 degree weather the fan did not come on. 15 minutes after turning the fridge on to get ready for my trip tomorrow it came on.
What is the temp the switch is set at to come on?

Thanks,

Matti

I can't speak for all AS models, but in our 20, the fan switch (by the door) is a separate circuit from the refer buttons. I think one of richw46 threads mention it. Seems 105, maybe 110 is the on and 85 is the off.

Here ya go...post 32

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...-134012-3.html

thresholds probably varies somewhat by mf'r

bob

seems richw46 also posted a how to test the stat (with a fry pan and a thermo???) . Thought I'd saved it but can't locate it.

Maybe he'll see this or you could PM him.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2015 23D has the the upper and lower side vents for the refrigerator space. The solitary fan installed by Airstream in the middle the top vent was totally useless in keeping the refrigerator cold. We completely blocked off the top vent and put in three fans in a metal plate. Now all the cooling air has to come in the bottom vent and pass by the cooling coils enroute to the top exit. The fridge never had a cooling issue after this modification.

The fans were wired to come on via a lighted manual switch when the Dometic fridge was in place. Now that we have a freon based compressor, whenever it comes on, a relay pulses and starts the fans until the compressor turns off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Fridge Cooling fan new outside view-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	289884  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
Switz that is a real nice clean install! If external cooling is significantly improved the refrigerator should not have to work not nearly as hard.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote