Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

'Fridge erratic on gas

My refrigerator (with electronic ignition) is behaving erratically on gas. From time to time it shuts down. I have not seen what happens when it does, so I don't know if it atttempts to relight or not, but turning the switch off and then on gets it to restart with no hesitation.

There is plenty of LP available.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
That could take a lot of time to nail down for you or a technician. It sounds to me like the gas was interrupted while the unit was trying to cool. As a safety feature, I do not think pilot-less systems usually try to relight themselves if the gas gets shut off. When you flip the switch off, and then on again, it resets itself.

The flame a refrigerator uses is more like a kicked-up pilot light than a cooktop flame. Pilot lights require very little gas. Regulators sometimes have trouble trying to regulate just enough gas for a pilot light. You might try swapping out the regulator (at the LPG cylinders).

My experience with pilot-less systems comes from my home's natural gas furnace as everything on my Airstream has a pilot light. I hesitate to offer more tips because I have not had the exact same problem. But I will if you get desperate

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
.....Any ideas?
Mark:

The original Dometic (3-way) in the '87 345 had some problems with the "circuit board" -- but I also had a personal learning curve figuring out that the 'fridge automaticly went from 120 to 12 volt to gas - in that order.

The smart "circuit board" needs the "house" 12 volts going to it at all times......

Could it be that your univolt, house battery, or tow vehicle "charge" connection is messing with you?

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
As a safety feature, I do not think pilot-less systems usually try to relight themselves if the gas gets shut off. When you flip the switch off, and then on again, it resets itself.
Tom the new units do go through a relight cycle. They normally will try three times to relight. After that they display a trouble light and do not attempt a relight unless you turn the unit off then back on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Tom the new units do go through a relight cycle. They normally will try three times to relight. After that they display a trouble light and do not attempt a relight unless you turn the unit off then back on.
Thanks Jack - that makes sense. I wonder if Mark has a trouble light; He did not say anything about it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

When it shuts off a red light with an "X" in the middle comes on.

The Marshall auto switch gas regulator would have to be considered, of course. It is only two years old, however.

I'm not on shore power, so it would not be the converter. I top off the batteries every day with a generator.

I'm going out now and will do some more trouble shooting, so will not be able to check back in until tomorrow.

Mark
Old 09-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Mark, assuming there wasn't an unusual amount of wind which would repeatedly extinguish the flame, I suggest:-
1. Service the burner tube by dismantling the burner assembly (manual cut-off for the gas), wire brushing to remove carbon, and adjusting the gap from the igniter thermocouple to the burner to the factory specification.
2. Cleaning the flue. On my Excella, the refer had to be pulled forward into the trailer for access to the flue.
3. Removing the wires from the connection at the circuit board, one at a time, cleaning each connector, and then replacing each wire.
4. Check the regulator with a manometer.
5. If the problem persists, buy a Dinosaur UIB board as a replacement. That's what I ended up doing.
Good luck. Nick.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
My refrigerator (with electronic ignition) is behaving erratically on gas. From time to time it shuts down. I have not seen what happens when it does, so I don't know if it atttempts to relight or not, but turning the switch off and then on gets it to restart with no hesitation.

There is plenty of LP available.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
There is a great RV refrigerator rebuilder in the Seattle area, who has a great website, www.rvmobile.com. It includes diagnostic processes. I am having a similar problem. Check the position of the thermocouple in the flame if you have not done so. Mine was not directly in the flame. When the flame was blown out by movement or traffic, the "cold" thermocouple prohbited relighting. Good luck.
jackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I was having problems when switching from ac to gas, sometimes it would light, sometimes fault. The thermocouple had a large carbon build up, I broke it off and have a reliable refrigerator again.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

I appreciate the suggestions.

It went out again sometime in the night. Again, switching off, then on got it to work normally.

The burner assembly is clean. We have had no wind, and I am parked so far back in the trees that wind is not likely to be an issue anyway. I will check the themocouple gap, and will have a go at the flue. The idea to clean the contacts is a good one, and I will do that this afternoon.

I probably ought to just order a Dinosaur board just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 09-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

It appears my problem was caused by a low voltage problem. I had been charging batteries from a generator and could not get the batteries up to a full charge. Why? I don't know exactly. Could be the 15 amp plug adaptor allowed too little current. Could be the time available to me for charging was too limited.

Anyway, once I got a full charge on the batteries (from line voltage), the problem seems to have disappeared.

Mark