Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
The Coleman Xtreme coolers are almost as good as a Yeti, and much more affordable. I Have both. If you're in bear country, or otherwise need to lock your cooler down, the Yeti is the best bet. Yetis also can handle dry ice.

Don't be afraid of the Dometic or Engel compressor style refrigerators. If I ever have to replace the three way, it will be with a compressor refrigerator. They don't have leveling issues, are very effective and efficient, and take relatively little power. If you have enough solar, you can go for a long time dry camping. I have one on my little pop up truck camper, and really like it.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 40 quart Igloo 12 volt cooler that we have had for about 20 years. We use it regularly to carry overflow. It has always worked very well. It can be plugged into 12 volt in the tow vehicle or the Airstream during the day. We also have a converter to plug it into ac power when appropriate.

Ours is now pretty beat up. One of the handle broke off several years ago, but it still works great. We always keep cokes and other items that will not be spoiled in it just in case it craps out. It has been a great backup on long trips.

These coolers are still available for about $100. If our old one ever gives up the ghost, we will definitely buy a new one just like it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on a 12 volt cooler, particularly if you like lots of cold beverages during the day......or evening.

Use as little packaging as possible, i.e. transfer to plastic bags, when possible, and reduce the use of leftovers stored in hard glass or plastic containers. Ziploc bags work well for many leftovers, then pour into something else to reheat.

Look for some of the plastic tubes for condiments, that can be reduced in size as they empty. I believe they are available online.

We bought some at an outdoor/camping/backpacking store in Paris a couple of years ago.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have wanted a Yeti cooler for a long time, but wouldn't spend the money.

Last summer I noticed that I had over $500 in points on my Cabela's card, and started looking at Yeti again. The biggest one that would fit under my tonneau cover was $477 including freight, so I ordered it. I ordered it, even tho I have 8 or 10 coolers already, including Coleman's best.

That thing is AMAZING! It is heavy, especially when full of ice and drinks, but it stays cold forever. I had ice and watermelons in it for two weeks before we ate all of the watermelon. I was impressed, to say the least.

When we go camping, Yeti comes with us. If you want to borrow a cooler, I will loan you one of my other ones. I don't even care if you don't bring it back.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I often use the condiments in the indiv sizes that you can get at Smart & Final (think taco bell hot sauce packages) These keep forever and take up little space.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
REI sells the plastic tubes for condiments and peanut butter, etc.

The YETI is the bomb!!!! Best cooler ever, I also have about a dozen columns, I use them for storage now. Worth every penny...and fits between the bed and the wall in my 25FB.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you all for the suggestions and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
... If you want to borrow a cooler, I will loan you one of my other ones. I don't even care if you don't bring it back.
And terryV you made me laugh with your reply. From the sounds of things you could open an ice chest museum?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote