Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Fridge Defend for the Globetrotter fridge

I continue to be underwhelmed by the performance of our Globetrotter fridge. After 14 days on the road I logged about 4 degrees in the freezer (a record low) but around 40-43 in the fridge (top, middle, bottom). Same readings on gas and electric.

Taking the trailer in for some warranty work next week and I mentioned the fridge. Not sure they can do much, but it just seems weird to have a 5 position temperature select but you always have to have it on 5. And the ice cream is still too soft.

I ran across a website talking about the Fridge Defend. I'm wondering if putting in that system, with a blower behind the fridge and blowers inside the fridge compartment, might be a solution. Our 23FB fridge worked much better once I fixed the faulty fan controller and air circulated behind the fridge. I know the 27 has a "chimney" and should draw air up and out of the flue, but perhaps a helper fan would get the fridge cooler. That fact we live in Texas and have many 90+ degree days probably does not help the fridge, so again wondering about moving more air behind the unit.

Anyone installed a Fridge Defend, or something similar, to move air behind the fridge as well as inside?
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I have not but am haveing similar problems. Mine does get colder on 120 and a short test it stayed colder when switched to propane. I’m thinking I might cover the thermistor with something if the problem persists.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I would just try a cheap computer fan in the flu first.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Dometic actually makes a fan kit with a thermostat controlled switch (AR-VKIT). I think it is basically what was installed on our 23FB fridge. But I can't find it anywhere in the US, all searches turn up dealers in Europe.

So I might end up with a simple fan, just might not need it to run all the time so I was looking for a thermostat to control it.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
Dometic actually makes a fan kit with a thermostat controlled switch (AR-VKIT). I think it is basically what was installed on our 23FB fridge. But I can't find it anywhere in the US, all searches turn up dealers in Europe.

So I might end up with a simple fan, just might not need it to run all the time so I was looking for a thermostat to control it.
Just get a cheap 12 volt fan, wire it direct to the battery, stick it in the flue and see if the temp goes down.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:58 AM   #6
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
There is a computer fan mounted by the flue pipe behind the fridge in our 2020 GT 25. We bought used, so it may have been installed by the PO. The fridge works fine though. We had ice on the fins in the freezer and fridge areas while in FL for a month. Running mostly on elec. I will be back at the trailer on Wednesday if you want a pic. I’m thinking it may have been added later, because I can’t hear it running. The fan that AS installed on our 2011 23FB was so loud it had to get swapped out.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you checked the roof end of the flue for insect/spider nests, etc.?

An in-flue fan should not be necessary IMO.

Have you called your dealer and/or Airstream, for a possible recall etc.?

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
I looked around and there is a fan similar to our 23FB installed at the bar of the couple, and it was running when I checked.

Dropped it off for warranty work yesterday, lots of condensation around the seals to show the tech as well as frozen condensation at bottom of freezer. So he thinks seals might need replacing. He said a bad thermistor could cause the fridge not getting below 40. So at least I now have someone at the dealer that thinks it is not "normal".
Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
I looked around and there is a fan similar to our 23FB installed at the bar of the couple, and it was running when I checked.

Dropped it off for warranty work yesterday, lots of condensation around the seals to show the tech as well as frozen condensation at bottom of freezer. So he thinks seals might need replacing. He said a bad thermistor could cause the fridge not getting below 40. So at least I now have someone at the dealer that thinks it is not "normal".
Any updates on your refrigerator problem? Ours is functioning the same and it is becoming a bit of a nuisance while on the road. Thanks
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #10
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
It's been sitting at the dealer for over a week, don't even know if they have looked at it yet. My appointment was on Monday the 22nd. I asked for status this week, mentioning a concern about running out of propane and getting mildew inside. The one line response was "it's still running fine" with no other update. Glad I had not planned a camping trip for the 4th.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I mentioned earlier that I’d post a pic of the computer fan that’s mounted in the fridge compartment. Here are the pics. This looks like it was done at the factory, but I’m not sure as I’m the second owner of this 2020 25 GT. Our fridge worked in FL during Feb & March (some days in the 80s) all with elec hookups in State Parks. Will be testing it next week on propane, but in WY, so it should be fine.
Attached Images

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
As OP, dst, said we too are not very happy with the refrigerator performance in our 2019 27' GT. I inspected the flue area with a light and mirror. Part way up the flue a fan is mounted. We bought the trailer new so the fan is from the factory. How do you turn it on ?? Or is it automatic ??

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
As OP, dst, said we too are not very happy with the refrigerator performance in our 2019 27' GT. I inspected the flue area with a light and mirror. Part way up the flue a fan is mounted. We bought the trailer new so the fan is from the factory. How do you turn it on ?? Or is it automatic ??

Dan
Hi

Fan should come on when the propane is fired. It may also come on with electric. It depends a bit on exactly which board they put in.

One thing not mentioned in the tread above is moving around the temperature sensor. Since there is only one control point, it's how you "adjust" the temperature. Move it one way and things all seem to get colder. Move it the other way and they all seem to warm up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
The therrmistor mount is fixed unfortunately. My fan leads to switch and I’ve never heard it come on. I can put a fuse in the wires and it comes on though. Maybe switch is bad but I don’t know. I solved my problem by moving the thermistor below the drip tray. I now can adjust the fridge temp with the factory buttons. I know it’s wrong but it works. So whatever. Freezer could still be colder though.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #15
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Our 23FB had a little button style temp relay that was supposed to turn the fan on. But it never worked. So I made a little jumper wire and bypassed the relay to turn the fan on. That helped, and the new relay they sent me was on all the time, so I think it was bad as well, or just overly sensitive to the TX heat. Anyway, rather have it run than not on the 23FB since it was side vented. But the ice cream was firm!

They ended up replacing the fridge and freezer doors on our 27 GT. They failed the "dollar bill test" so the dealer said the seals were not tight. We noticed condensation between the doors so I could see there point. The new doors helped; I can actually run it on 4 in the cooler months and it will maintain "normal" fridge temps, and we actually had firm ice cream on a trip in the spring. Still need a 5 in the summer months, and ice cream is hit or miss. But it will make ice cubes for mixed drinks, so we survive.