Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Fridge

Need some help on how the fridge actually works.I have been reading the instructions but really dont understand it to well.
I am wanting to know what the black cover with the red lighted switch does.push it down .(it says fan switch.)or push it up and it says refer and the switch lights up.
I dont really want to use gas and left the auto switch off to just use electricity and push the other button to turn it on.Is this the correct way to do this?I know this question is simple.but I am lost.We are about to leave for a trip and I want to get it cold before we leave.Any help is greatly apreciated.Thanks You.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Devoman,

If it's the red lighted switch next to the door, it operates the thermostatically controlled box fan that draws warm air away from the fridge to eliminate hot spots in the top reefer compartment. It only comes on when the compartment reaches a certain temperature, and cycles on and off as necessary. As I understand it, the fan isn't essential, but it does make your reefer run more efficiently during warm weather. While turned on, mine ran almost constantly during the summer, but now that it's cooler weather the fan isn't necessary. If you're headed to cooler climates, you probably won't need the fan at all. A common complaint is that the fan is noisy and some people have replaced theirs with a 12 volt computer fan that has a quieter decibel rating. I've been thinking about doing that myself. I saw one at Circuit City that had blue LED lights built in. I wonder how that would look.

Regarding the use of gas for the reefer: I leave mine on auto most of the time. That way it kicks over to gas whenever there is a power loss, which came in handy a couple of times this summer at home and in a campground. It's a personal choice, about which there is much debate. I have had my Bambi since June and have been on several short trips, have gone over 2,500 miles with the reefer on gas most of the time, and am still on the first tank. When pre-cooling the reefer, it helps to load it with some ice or frozen food to get it down to temperature faster.

I recall seeing some threads that discuss both the fan and driving with the reefer on gas issues. Have a safe trip.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
refer

Hey thanks.We have been on a few trips but had trouble trying to figure out this fridge thing.I turned it on last night and will have it on for the day also before we leave.We are going up to Virginia for the fall foliage before it is all gone.I know it is pretty much peak season but I was told that it is still doing really good.
We are staying at a place called Misty mountain campgrounds.Never been there but it looks nice.
Also we are making a nightly stop at Green Acres RV park in between the drive.After that we are going to ST.Augustine (stopping at Green Acres over night again.)again as we always do.(I can never get enough of this place.)Thanks for the info.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote