Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2024, 05:59 AM   #1

Fort McClellan , 36205
Angry Freezer @ 46 degrees and Holding...

Any recommendations on resolving the ice cream soup issue we are having with a freezer that will not go below 46 degrees? Lots of refrigerator posts, but the bottom half seems to work fine. It's the Freezer that's unfreezed! Tired of slurping my ice cream, although honestly is makes great milkshakes...
12characters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
What model Airstream? 12v compressor type or absorption fridge?
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:44 AM   #3

Fort McClellan , 36205
2018 International FB - 12v -
Old 05-15-2024, 08:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Unless your fridge was replaced, it should have 120v/LP. Airstream didn't start across the board putting in 12v compressor fridges until around 2022 model year.

If accurate in your case, are you running it on 120v or LP? If you truly do have a 12v compressor type fridge that has no LP, I'm at a loss, but if you have an absorption type fridge, I would see if it behaves any differently in LP vs 120v mode. Make sure that airflow is good and those would be the initial steps I'd take.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:42 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Never heard of one having the freezer not work but the bottom staying cool. This is really unusual. I'm following this one out of curiosity.

On edit: you say the bottom "seems" to be working just fine... Get a thermometer and make sure its staying below 40. Above that temp, food goes bad. It would be awful for you and your family to get sick because you assumed the temps were good.
I had trouble with mine last year and on a lark put my weather station remote sensor in the fridge box (can't believe that worked!) and it gives me a great deal of comfort to be able to glance up and see the refer temp without having to open the door.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:02 PM   #6

Fort McClellan , 36205
It is 12V / LP, we will switch it over and give that a shot.

It is truly odd that the bottom is working in fact it is likely colder than the top!

I will update after the LP test.

Thank you all!
Old 05-19-2024, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you place you hand one the bottom of the freezer, does it feel cold?
Yes to getting a thermometer to see what actual measured temps are.
Yes to propane as we find it to work better.
How is your rig oriented? Is the hot afternoon sun on the refrigerator side? How hot is it outside? Do you have a cabinet that is above your refrigerator? If so you should prop it open to help heat escape and to help your fridge/freezer work better. Same comment for your wardrobe it it's right next to your fridge. Popping that door open to let the AC air next to the fridge helps it cool off.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12characters View Post
It is 12V / LP, we will switch it over and give that a shot.

It is truly odd that the bottom is working in fact it is likely colder than the top!

I will update after the LP test.

Thank you all!
If that's true, it must either be a non-factory fridge or a rare bird. AFAIK, in 2018 Airstream was supplying trailers with 2-way absorption refrigerators that worked either on 120V shore power or LP gas. That's what we had in our Classic that year. A 12V connection was required to operate but it was used only for control functions and lighting the propane burner when appropriate.

In 2020, Airstream switched to a 3-way absorption fridge like I have in my current GT. In addition to 120V and propane operation my fridge will also work on 12V alone.

A short time later (2022 I think) the factory switched back to 2-way (12V and 120V), but now they are all-electric compressor refrigerators. Although there are times on really hot days where it struggles a bit to maintain temps, in general it will keep the main compartment in the mid to high 30's and the freezer will easily freeze ice and keep other stuff frozen.

I agree with the suggestions to put a thermometer in the main part of the refrigerator to see if it's really getting cold enough. Since your freezer isn't freezing, I'm guessing that it's not. Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You need to clean your burner and check the gas pressure with a manometer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
If that's true, it must either be a non-factory fridge or a rare bird. AFAIK, in 2018 Airstream was supplying trailers with 2-way absorption refrigerators that worked either on 120V shore power or LP gas. That's what we had in our Classic that year. A 12V connection was required to operate but it was used only for control functions and lighting the propane burner when appropriate.

In 2020, Airstream switched to a 3-way absorption fridge like I have in my current GT. In addition to 120V and propane operation my fridge will also work on 12V alone.

A short time later (2022 I think) the factory switched back to 2-way (12V and 120V), but now they are all-electric compressor refrigerators. Although there are times on really hot days where it struggles a bit to maintain temps, in general it will keep the main compartment in the mid to high 30's and the freezer will easily freeze ice and keep other stuff frozen.

I agree with the suggestions to put a thermometer in the main part of the refrigerator to see if it's really getting cold enough. Since your freezer isn't freezing, I'm guessing that it's not. Good luck.
Just happened to re-read this and realized I cut and pasted badly. The bold part refers to my 3-way fridge in the previous paragraph, not the new compressor style fridges which are quite good at holding temps.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
You need to clean your burner and check the gas pressure with a manometer.
^This...plus, tap on the chimney to knock out the rust and soot.

I built my own manometer but you can buy them too. Do the cleaning and the knock first. If you have adequate propane pressure elsewhere you are likely (but not assured) of having adequate propane pressure at the fridge.

Here is a thermostat: AcuRite Digital Wireless Fridge and Freezer Thermometer. There are others.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote