Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you really plan on using the Airstream, I would get 'er done by finding a good RV fridge replacement. In addition, resale. IMHO, folks looking to buy, unless it's a restoration, don't want to deal with things like replacing an electric fridge.

Besides all this, when traveling for hours you most likely can't run a generator, so I'd just bite the bullet and get a new or refurb RV fridge (two or three way-- your call).

Looking further down the thread, I see some folks have suggested repair. This is possible and can be done. I have heard both good and bad and my dad had his unit repaired in the manner suggested. It has worked well now for 3 years since done. If you can do this and it will solve it, this would be a far better choice then to go with a simple electric fridge IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
The other thing for consideration is a modern home electric fridge will not have the adaquate insulation that the RV units do.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Couldn't U put that silver insulation around an AC fridge?
Kani
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiemon View Post
The other thing for consideration is a modern home electric fridge will not have the adaquate insulation that the RV units do.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

glen cove , New York
Help! I'm buying a 92 Classic excella 29' and the refrigerator is missing! Anybody know what size fits in the opening and are there any good used or refurbished ones available? Would really like to put a original type refrigerator back in!
bussafetyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
I wonder why my repair guy did not suggest a rebuilt cooling unit? How hard are these things to remove? Is there any kind of manual on how to correctly remove them?
He makes $50 clear for replacing a rebuilt cooling unit, vs about $350 for installing a new refrigerator.

Sad but true. Shortsighted too, because you won't trust his word again.

Paula
Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I've always have a problem with the 3way fridge set up or the 2way propane/electric.The propane side can leak gas. If the boiler is not working,the electric won,t either. My solution may be considered bottom shelf but an all electric fridge is what I want if I plan to stay the season in one spot.Ice is always available,so I bring a cooler too.Life is simple,and sometimes it is a shear joy to pull a cold one from an ice chest.I believe someone mentioned money was an issue.Ice is free from home or about .79 a bag.Granted the Purist in me rejects the whole electric fridge idea and resale could be an issue.Weighing out the pros of simplicity and the cons of mechanical and gas problems,I stay pat with the electric fridge/ice chest combo.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
A footnote.A 1980 13' Scotty purchased before the Airstream fascination had a ice cooler on the wall which looked just like a fridge.I asked the seller"how does this fridge work?" The owner looked at me a bit annoyed and said "you put ice in it and when it melts it drips down that hose to the outside son".
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've got an electric only unit in my coach. Has never been a problem yet. Mine is very quiet, only draws 1.8 amps @ 120 volts. Newer ones are around $375 for the size I have at Lowes.

Or like richie rich says go with an ice chest. I think I might do that if my fridge ever goes out. A $40 Coleman Extreme does one heck of a job keeping stuff cold for days. I keep one in the back of my pickup year round.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #29

1981 22' International
Cornelius , Oregon
How did you switch your old unit out and replace it with an just electric one ? like to do that with mine, since I camp out at hook ip sites only.
PREP POTATO SALAD , THEN ADD MAYO WHEN I GET THERE

Thanks
DW
darr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We are new at this but wanted to pass on that our little elctric frig did great on our recent 5 day trip. We plug it in a day before our trip and then put in freezer bags while traveling and everything is cold when we get to the destination. These bags came with fish we had sent from a trip to Alsaka aand we just refreeze them. We also keep a cooler with frozen food and change out the ice and things stayed frozen. A simple but econimical approach.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

I installed a $150 3.7 cubic-foot apartment-type compressor refrigerator in my 1967 International when I first bought it 20 years ago to replace the rotted-out original unit. It has operated very well.

When driving on the road, I power it from the tow-vehicle battery. To do this, I ran four 10-gauge wires (two positive, two negative, equivalent to 7 gauge) from the tow-vehicle batteries to the trailer battery. I have a connection plug between the tow vehicle and the trailer for this dedicated circuit, which is fused at the tow vehicle battery with a 30-amp dc fuse in each of the positive lines.

In the trailer, I have a $75 600 watt (1200 peak) inverter connected to the trailer battery. The refrigerator is plugged into this inverter, thus allowing it to run on 120v ac.

I installed an ammeter and an on/off switch in the tow vehicle to monitor and control the circuit while powering the refrigerator when towing. I have observed that the refrigerator takes about 12 amps when the compressor is running, and it cycles on and off like a normal refrigerator.

Even though I don't boondock, if I did I would get another battery or two to run the refrigerator with the inverter while parked, and recharge the battery(s) with my quite, little 1000-watt Honda generator during the day as needed.

The refrigerator is rated at 1.05 amps ac, which equates to about 10.5 amps dc.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. A Boy Scout can do them all.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
My fridge just went out on my Sovereign, and replacement is $1500!! What are the pros and cons for simply getting an electric one from Home Depot, I have a generator so boon docking is not a problem with electricity.
I don't know if it would be a consideration in your case, but having a regular fridge installed instead of an rv fridge might detract from the saleability of the trailer somewhat as most potential buyers would want an RV fridge and would therefor have to take into account cost and inconvenience of refitting the trailer were they to buy it.

Just a thought - I know that it would affect me that way.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have a setup similar to Airstream67...I have described mine in detail in another thread...We were on the road for 3 weeks straight last year and never had regrets with our fridge/inverter set up...Cooling without pilot lights while on the road has advatages...Many new fridges draw only160 watts after start up and only run 20-30 percent of the time...it works! You might try searching for the old threads.Kevin
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
danalee brought to mind my ultimate cost-free ,frost-free repair answer for a broken fridge. Don't fix it. Use ice packs or ice in a cooler IN the fridge! A modern fridge is an ice chest which uses freon or ammonia heated by propane to produce cold.Bypass the broken technology.Keep the broken unit right where it is.This may also answer the originality/resale quagmire.Sometimes its better to just pull the plug,quieter too.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
They are saying on resale (if you decided to sell) she won't bring you as much money with the electric fridge but I haven't read how much less it would be worth with an electric fridge. $500?...a $1000?....if that''s the case why bother spending the money. Times are hard right now...

We just installed an electric fridge in our AS today. Spent $319 on it and it is so quiet AND IT COOLS and it is so quiet!

The way I look at it, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It may to way to high or low thats the way it is man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I don't know if it would be a consideration in your case, but having a regular fridge installed instead of an rv fridge might detract from the saleability of the trailer somewhat as most potential buyers would want an RV fridge and would therefor have to take into account cost and inconvenience of refitting the trailer were they to buy it.

Just a thought - I know that it would affect me that way.

Brian.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Could this dilemma be solved with a Norcold AC/DC fridge/freezer? I use one and it draws less than 3 amps running on 12V. I am planning on installing a 7 CF model (
DE-0061/EV-0061) in my Argosy this Summer. This will run when driving, makes ice, runs when you are boondocking, and wrks on 110 hookups. My Dometic is getting tired and has never operated well when driving.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Could this dilemma be solved with a Norcold AC/DC fridge/freezer? I use one and it draws less than 3 amps running on 12V. I am planning on installing a 7 CF model (
DE-0061/EV-0061) in my Argosy this Summer. This will run when driving, makes ice, runs when you are boondocking, and wrks on 110 hookups. My Dometic is getting tired and has never operated well when driving.

That is what we have on our 1954 Liner, but no cheaper than the gas/electric models.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote