Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Atlanta , Georgia
Dometic Thermocouple

Can anyone direct me to a previous thread for replacement of the thermocouple on my Dometic refrigerator from a '72 Safari? I was able to find a replacement thermocouple (correct part number and such) for what I believe is an old and nonfunctioning thermocouple, but the new part did not solve the problem of maintaining the pilot light once the manual valve is released. Worried that without the gas operation my boondocking days may be doomed
Maybe there is some trick to installling thermocouples that I am not aware of...the one for the water heater seemed straightforward enough last year....
drcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
From my 75 service manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	151221   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	151222  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Make sure the part below part "a" is pushed firmly down into the valve and then tighten the nut. Do Not over tighten.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
the part A must be tight, but not too tight. And clean when you install it.

Also, must be in the flame enough to keep it hot.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I thought of another reason you may not have flame after the button is let up.

The older units, like yours, had a 2 level flame. The high level is the one which does cooling when the thermostat calls for it, otherwise the flame falls back to the lower level. There is no pilot light on those refrigerators, only high flame and low flame.

So, high is controlled by the thermostat, low is fed by the "bypass" screw opening. If the thermostat is at it's lowest position and not calling for high flame, and the bypass opening is plugged the flame will go out when you let go of the reset button.

Try this: Be sure the cold control is turned up as high as it will go, then try lighting the unit. If it lights, but then goes out when things cool down, you need to clean the bypass opening. It has been a very long time since I have done that, but as I recall it is a little brass head nut like thing on the side of the gas valve the thermocouple goes into. Or, if you have instructions, they may identify it.

So, the gas for low flame goes through the bypass opening, and for high flame it goes through the thermostatically controlled passageway. If the thermostat says it is cold enough or is in the off position, and the bypass opening is plugged you will not be able to keep the flame on.

I hope that helps if the thermocouple ideas do not.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Atlanta , Georgia
Thank you all for your insights and I will try these things when I get down to my home away from home.
TC
drcamo is offline   Reply With Quote