Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

1964 24' Tradewind
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Dometic RM66F Not Cooling

Hi,
This is my first post. I just bought a 1964 24' Tradewind and had it moved home last week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2905.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	111513
I am currently checking out the mechanical systems. The refrigerator was not working, so after picking the locks on the access doors (no keys), I discovered that it was not plugged in. I plugged it into a heavy duty extension cord from the house but the unit didn't heat up (bad 120V heater element). The trailer is not wired for 12V operation of the refrigerator, so I ran wiring directly from the converter to the unit and the tubing is now warm/hot to the touch, but still no cooling. I have read here that these refrigerators may become vapor locked and that turning them upside down and righting them again may cure this condition. Has anyone had any luck in doing this? The unit is level. Is there anything else that I should check/do before concluding that the cooling unit is bad?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim1964TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where did you connect the 12v wiring to the refer? As far as I know it only works on 120 volt and propane. When you say it gets warm/hot. Where? It takes a long time 24 hours to cool the refer in electric mode. Can you operate it on propane? If so it will cool somewhat faster but it still takes 16 to24 hours to bring the temp down, especially in a warm environment. I have an RM66 refer, it does not have a 12volt system.
Check out my previous post, there are a number of them that I've posted after working on mine and getting it to function both on propane and electric. I have attached a photo of the controls on my unit. I'm not sure yours is like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	111534  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #3

1964 24' Tradewind
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
My RM66 does have a 12 volt option on the second knob from the right. The reefer is not OE. It was purchased in 1979. That is why the trailer was not wired for 12v. Perhaps that is what the "F" suffix on the model number designates. Anyway, the reefer has started cooling (YAY!). I had not replaced the access doors because the only thing that holds them on is the lock. I have no keys and I didn't want to have to pick the locks again. I removed the locks, duct taped the doors in place and cleaned the bottom vent. After that the reefer started cooling fairly rapidly. I have ordered a 120V heater element replacement. I haven't done anything with the propane yet.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim1964TW is offline   Reply With Quote