Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Unhappy Dometic RM3862 GFI Tripping

Hi Folks

My Dometic 3862 works great on gas but trips the GFI when on 110V. The reefer starts ok on 110 but after a few minutes swithes to gas. I have replaced the 110V calrod and similar results. I checked the case of the calrod with a meter and 110V applied and it seems that once the heater gets hot, the 110V shorts out to the case. This would explain why the GFI trips. The reefer worked ok previously on 110 but after winter storage the problem manifested. Any suggestions?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Replace the calrod again. This is a common problem with them and you probably just got a bad one.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I have replaced the calrod 3 times and still same prob. My son the electrician says that the GFIs are a problem as well? In anycase as part of my troubleshooting, the 110 v was supplied thru a different GFI protected source with the same results. At this stage I am loath to replace the circuit board, but it may be the answer, don't know. Anybody out there that has had a similar situation?

Steve
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
While I do not have a solution to your problem, I would like to say that generally when a GFI breaker trips it is because it is doing it job. They can be very irritating but in fact they may be saving your or a loved ones life. Their job is to monitor the current traveling up and down the neutral and hot wires looking for a differential between them. They will trip on as little as 5 milliamps and must trip on 10 milliamps difference by code. While 5 thousandths of an amp is not much, it is leaking out somewhere in the circuit. This is the kind of short that can cause you to be unable to turn loose of the device in certain circumstances and will cause death. Not trying to scare, but want all to be aware of this type of tripping.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks afneill for the GFI dissertation. Altho I am quite familiar with the operation of GFI others may benefit from your information.

I did contact Dometic for some technical help and recall info. The best they could do is suggest a Dometic certified technician and no other info available. Oh and BTW, if contacting Dometic re the recall, have your VIN handy as well as the Model and serial number of the refer. Makes me wonder how they certify their techs without any literature available.

Steve
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dometic RM 3862 Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
Hi Folks

My Dometic 3862 works great on gas but trips the GFI when on 110V. The reefer starts ok on 110 but after a few minutes swithes to gas. ......The reefer worked ok previously on 110 but after winter storage the problem manifested.

Steve
My refrigerator is having the same problem after an extended period of storage. Did you ever determine the cause of your problem?
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I have replaced the calrod twice with same results. I had connected the carlrod freestanding from the reefer and measured a voltage between the case of calrod and ground and believe that this caused the GFI to trip. So I can't wrap my mind around that 3 calrods would be faulty. So have ordered a replacement circuit board and will install that when it arrives and will update the results on this post.
Steve
Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dometic RM 3862 Assistance Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
My refrigerator is having the same problem after an extended period of storage. Did you ever determine the cause of your problem?
I discussed my problem with a local RV service technician and he indicated that my problem was not uncommon for TT's that had been in storage for an extended period of time. He said that moisture builds up on the electronics and causes the GFIC to trip. I live in NW Florida, and we are routinely subject to periods of high humidity.

He suggested that I run the refrigerator on gas for a while to dry out the electronics, then try switching to 120 vac. I did this and the refrigerator worked on the first try on 120 vac.

He also said that drying the electronics with a hair dryer is often an effective way to solve this problem.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Well, I put in the new circuit board and 5 minutes later the reefer switched to gas as the gfi had tripped. Back to the drawing board. Will change the gfi (once again) as well as another calrod.

Steve
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
OK, bit the bullet and put in a new heater (calrod) again and lo and behold it worked!!

Reefer is now happy on 110V.

A point to consider, after explaining the problem to CW parts and asking "what if it (the new calrod doesn't work" Answer was if you opened the bag/box it came in, it is yours, no return.

Steve