Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #1
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
DOMETIC RM2510 in 1971 Safari

I have a 1971 23ft Safari that had the interior rebuilt circa 2004 with a new or remanufactured Dometic RM2510 installed in the original refrigerator location. It has worked well for the past 17 years I've owned it but it appears the cooling unit has now failed, as it will no longer works on electric or propane and we got a faint whiff of ammonia when trying to start it up and also heard a gurgling noise in the coils. It appears Dometic no longer makes this unit and, from what I can tell, does not another more modern unit that is the same size. I've seen remanufactured units for sale on rvpartscountry.com and am also aware that rebuilt cooling units can be had from the Amish company in Indiana. However, I'm also wondering if anyone else has had to replace their 2510 and found another current replacement option that is the same size or very close that would allow it to fit into the existing space.

In addition, it appears the manner in which the previous owner rebuilt the cabinet space the refrigerator mounts in may present a challenge regarding removal. So, I may need to hand this project off to someone who has experience with vintage trailers as many RV Repair outfits do not want to work on old trailers. If anyone has any leads on resources who specialize in vintage trailer repair in the Pacific Northwest (Washington or Oregon) as I'm located in Portland, it would be appreciated. I also need to have an issue with the city water hook up addressed.
Thanks
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
I have the same model and year airstream and am also looking for a replacement fridge. Did you ever find one that fit?
yacht_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:12 PM   #3
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
I have the same model and year airstream and am also looking for a replacement fridge. Did you ever find one that fit?
I ended up having a Norcold 4150 3 way. The existing cabinet put limits on the width & depth of the replacement unit. This was the only one I could find that fit those dimensions. However, it was maybe 6 or more inches taller. I had to hire someone to reconfigure the cabinet to fit this taller unit. It was all done successfully and the frig works great. While it is a 3 way frig, I only use it as a 2 way.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote