Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Dometic RM2451 Refrigerator problem

We recently went on a weekend trip with our 2007 20' Safari SE and had the refrigerator spring a leak in the refrigerant line. It appears that a stress fracture started where a support brace was welded to the line. This is very disapointing because this trailer has only been towed about 5000 miles and used around 35 nights. And of course, it is now out of warranty. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem with this model? I know there were recalls on some of the double door Dometics for a similar situation. Any suggestions on how to avoid this happening again after we replace the entire cooling system?
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Just guessing, based on the date of manufacture of your trailer, your fridge might have been one of 900,000+ that were in the Dometic recall. To be sure, go here with your model # and serial #.

Unfortunately, the recall was only to install a device that prevents a secondary fire from occurring when the cooling unit springs a leak. The recall does not do anything to prevent the leak from happening.

If it is any consolation, you are not alone in your disappointment.

Be sure to replace your refrigerator with one made after September 2006. This gets you out of the affected range of "recall refrigerators".

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
RM2551 for 2006 23' Safari leak at a weld

I had a weld break where there is a weld to the piping of the ammonia system on a gravel road in central Wyoming in 2007. The smell of ammonia was the first clue that there was a problem and then the cooling diminished. You could see the white froth of ammonia where the weld cracked.

This was not one of the recall units, but the component was under warranty and I received a replacement ammonia cooling system. The labor was at my expense. After considering the cost of labor and replacement of the entire unit, I opted to get a complete new refrigerator. I kept all usable parts from my old RM2551 for parts and the new ammonia cooling system as a backup for a future problem.

As of today, no problems. When you have spare parts, nothing seems to break down. Not have a part... it will break!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Most Dometic units are covered by their own 3 YEAR WARRANTY. I would call them to see if your unit is still covered. It starts with the date of retail purchase of the unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote