Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #1
INA
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Wa
Dometic Refrigerator Will Not Start

We have a brand new 2020 Flying Cloud and are on the start of a trip. Unfortunately I did not check the refrigerator before we started. The night before, when we were still plugged into shore power, I simply followed the instructions in the manual, turned on the gas, set the unit to automatic and assumed everything would work. In the morning There was no evidence of cooling whatsoever. Others in these forums had noted that it was best to do initial cool down using gas mode only so I tried that. Nada. Others recommended that I needed to make sure that there is no air in the lines so I lit the stove etc. still nothing. In the gas mode I can hear a click when I try to turn it on but nothing else (I.e. no whoosh). As some have suggested in this forum, I have tried starting the unit by clicking through numerous times. In automatic mode while plugged in to shore power I do not hear or see any evidence that the unit is powering on.

So what am I doing wrong? The trailer is level. The fridge just doesn’t seem to want to start in either automatic or LP mode. No error message displayed just the number 60 (as I understand it a previous temperature reading).
INA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Have you plugged the trailer in to shore power and started the refrigerator on AC power?
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the fridge plugged in to 120v?
Did the fridge work the last time you used it?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Since you hear the click click, click we can say the controller is at least partially working, and we can assume it either does not get sufficient gas or does not detect ignition.

As others have suggested, on shore power, confirm it has voltage on the refrigerator socket in the outside refrigerator access panel. If it does, switch it manually to electric mode and see if the temperature starts to drop.

Meanwhile confirm gas pressure again by lighting the stove and letting it burn for 15-30 seconds. Test the water heater on gas also while you're at it. Since the frig is on the other side of the trailer, the gas line run is separate, so, let's see if the furnace will light and run. The furnace will help purge more of the air out of the street side gas lines.

As soon as you confirm the refrigerator works on electricity (this will confirm all the shared components of the refrig are working), and the other gas appliances work, switch the refrigerator to LP and listen for the clicks again. It will try to light three times then give up for a while and then try again.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
To support what Brian said, I always have to run my furnace first, if the gas has been off at the bottles. Otherwise, it goes through its cycle and shuts down because no gas gets to the refrig. If I have run the furnace first, 2 clicks and the flame lights.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
There will be no "whoosh"as the propane lights as the flame is not much bigger than a pilot light. The freezer cools first, so check to see if it is cold first. Our fridge often takes 24 hours to get cool, and I usually start it 3 days before a trip. These asorption fridges do not operate the same as your house fridge!! Outside temperature and the temperature inside the trailer will also have an effect of the cooling of the fridge. In electric mode you will not hear a compressor start, like your home fridge, as it is a heating element instead of propane running.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Another idea to speed up the gas check process would be to turn off shore power, set 12V to store and purge the gas line at the brass flare fitting in the outside cover. No need to remove it fully just loosen it a couple turns, spray some soap solution on it and wiggle the line till you get a good amount of bubbles and a flow of gas. When you can smell the odorant, let it flow for a few more seconds then tighten it and inspect for leaks with more soap solution.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Mine always requires me to turn it on. Wait 10 or 15 minutes to see if temperature goes down and then cycle it on and off again and then wait another 10 or 15 minutes (and then repeat). I do start mine so far always on electricity and actually can't hear it (and thus wiatign the 10 or 15 minutes). I have come to expect this (although on a rare occurrence it does start on the 1st time). Once i have it going, I NEVER turn it off - even when driving. Good luck.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
INA
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Wa
Yes it was plugged in when I posted.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
INA
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Wa
Totally understand and appreciate the suggestions. The dealer suggested that I move the wire which is attached to a plastic clip down the fin in the back of the fridge. Remarkably this seems like it may be working. The “60’ message is still displayed by it appears that the fridge is getting cooler. The unit has been on for 29 hours so it may be just very very slow to cool as others have suggested. I did access the back of the fridge from the exterior and the apparatus is warm to the touch so it is running.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
As a point of reference, I have a 2013 25FB with a 2-way Dometic fridge, probably the same model you have. Mine can cool down from seventy-something room temperature to where it shows under 40 on the fridge display in six hours, using 120 volt power.

29 hours is way too long.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You can check whether the flame is running by feeling the casing at the bottom of the stack.Open the refrigerator compartment and look for the cylinder that contains the stack and heating elements when on 120v. On shore power the electric heating elements make this stack hot enough that you won't want to touch it.

The flame can be seen if you get right inside with your head but it is awkward. If the flame is on, the area around the bottom of the stack will get quite hot; it takes 30 plus minutes to get warm. If you are handy the shroud at the bottom of the stack can be removed to see the flame and burner. Usually a few Philips screws. It does not come out easily and it needs some finagling to put it back.
You need to look for the spark wire that sends a spark down onto the burner. You should be able to see the spark, and certainly you can hear it from outside the compartment. Yours is too new to have debris from the chimney fallen onto it but that is a common problem with older systems. The flame is not much bigger than the tip of your baby finger.
Worth a try if everything else doesn't work, and if you get the cover(s) off leave them off if you have to take it in for service and tell them they are left off on purpose.
JCW

Edit: on review I see you found the stack is warm. My gues now would be something is blocking the burner to make a full flame. But does it cool better on 120 volts. if so then your flame is not delivering enough heat
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
The 60 degree readout maybe as high as it goes. On mine, I can turn the frig on with the trailer sitting in 95+ degree outside temp with sun directly on the frig side of the trailer and the temp display will read 60 until unit cools to 60 before readout begins to drop.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Same thing happened with our new 2019, but it ran on electric would not light on gas. I diagnosed all the electric looked for plugged pipes etc.

Embarrassing at the factory they did the same on electrical then hit the manifold with a hammer it lit. Stuck gas solenoid. They swapped in all new parts.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Move Up

[To cool the thermistor is slid up , warm is down the top of the thermistor should be flush with the white clip it can move around inside the clip some tape it to not move just do not cover the thermistor itself.

QUOTE=INA;2358790]Totally understand and appreciate the suggestions. The dealer suggested that I move the wire which is attached to a plastic clip down the fin in the back of the fridge. Remarkably this seems like it may be working. The “60’ message is still displayed by it appears that the fridge is getting cooler. The unit has been on for 29 hours so it may be just very very slow to cool as others have suggested. I did access the back of the fridge from the exterior and the apparatus is warm to the touch so it is running.[/QUOTE]
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Dometic Refrigerator

I have this problem often, my best success rate for getting the critter started is to refer to the owner's manual on troubleshootingwhere there is a step by step procedure that will pretty much guarantee a start. I have even copied the page, encased in plastic for reference each time I bring the AS out of storage.
So after all the tried and true methods listed above don't yield a flame, try the procedure outlined in the Dometic manual.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #17
INA
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Wa
I will try again but have followed that procedure a couple of times without success. I had hoped that we had it up and going but this morning it is still not working!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
It shouldn’t be that hard. If the trailer is plugged into shore power, and the use/store switch is on, it should work on either electric or propane. If it’s not call your dealer and have it corrected under warranty.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It remains unclear from your responses if you have had any luck cooling with 120V shore power. Is this a problem on LP only? I ask because the only real difference is how the boiler is heated. One with a modest LP flame, the other with an electric heat element. The rest of the components are the same.

Can you confirm the issue is the same in electric mode?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #20
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by INA View Post
We have a brand new 2020 Flying Cloud and are on the start of a trip. Unfortunately I did not check the refrigerator before we started. The night before, when we were still plugged into shore power, I simply followed the instructions in the manual, turned on the gas, set the unit to automatic and assumed everything would work. In the morning There was no evidence of cooling whatsoever. Others in these forums had noted that it was best to do initial cool down using gas mode only so I tried that. Nada. Others recommended that I needed to make sure that there is no air in the lines so I lit the stove etc. still nothing. In the gas mode I can hear a click when I try to turn it on but nothing else (I.e. no whoosh). As some have suggested in this forum, I have tried starting the unit by clicking through numerous times. In automatic mode while plugged in to shore power I do not hear or see any evidence that the unit is powering on.

So what am I doing wrong? The trailer is level. The fridge just doesn’t seem to want to start in either automatic or LP mode. No error message displayed just the number 60 (as I understand it a previous temperature reading).
Hi INA,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*