Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dometic Refrigerator Extened Warranty

I need some advise. I have a 2004 Airstream with a Dometic Refrigerator. The factory warranty is 3 years for everything and the last year covers parts only. I can extent the warrany for an additional 3 years, which includes parts and labor for $189.30. Does this sound like a good deal. Has anyone had problems with their ref.?

Thanks!
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's a judgement call just like car extended warranties.

The fridge is a major RV component, however they all eventually need repair as any piece of equipment will. Odds are that the fridge will die in it's teens. My family has a 1982 SOB. Bought it new and it has a Dometic. The coils finally gave out last year...21 years old. It cost them about $450 I believe to get it redone in the UP of Michigan.

On a car my gut says sure...too many systems and issues that could go wrong in 6 years. But to insure just one item, it's something I thought about and decided not to do. I do have a 2004 with a Dometic and that's what I did.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I may be a bit biased...........

I do not EVER buy extended warranties on major appliances, or electronics.

Long answer:

The maintenance guidelines that are required to be performed, at the owners expense, MUST be done or the whole thing in null and void.

Take a look at the fine print on the 3 year warranty. It states that the refer has to be tested, the coils cleaned and inspected once a year by a Dometic authorized tech. Miss the first year, warranty goes poof! At least on an auto, if you can prove you did the maint. you are still covered.

My nightmare scenario is that they will want to remove the refer to get to the coils to inspect and clean, I have a more severe curve to the inner wall than the newer coaches. You cannot see the coils from the door. This would require 7-10 hours to remove and replace all the interior components to visually inspect the coils. I don't trust many dealers to do it and not damage something. Nothing in my coach interior is available as a replacement part, so when they bust something I am SOL. I won't even get into the local dealer and their service department nightmare stories.

Short answer:

Don't buy it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty. Companies sell extended warranties because they make money on them. If they're making money, odds are you're not going to make a claim. Sure some people will make a claim, but I figure that the money I save in not buying extended warranties pays for the few times that something happens within the claim period. If you have a lot of trouble with a new item during the regular warranty period then it might be a good idea to get the extended warranty since the item is probably a lemon, otherwise save your money.

Our trailer is a week away from it's 41st birthday and the dometic fridge still works.

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I agree with DavidsonOverlander, I never buy extended warranties period. Dometic will hound you about as they did on my replacement. I am on my 3rd year after replacement and I have been solicited by them once or twice a year since I got it installed. It is a money thing--either they make it or you save it.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Tis true

As 'DavidsonOverlander' stated:
Quote:
Our trailer is a week away from it's 41st birthday and the dometic fridge still works.
It's the same with my 64GT..
Still churns out "ice cold" beers`!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote