Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Myakka City , Florida
Dometic refrigerator drain hose. 2017 Classic 30

Is there any danger of replacing the black drain hose with a clear, flexible tubing? The drain hose disconnected from the refrigerator drain plug, and it is impossible to reconnect without pulling the refrigerator out. We can slide a flexible tube into the drain hole inside the refrigerator and down the back. Would there be any reason for concern?
thebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
May not be water tight and drain properly. If it does though then you should be okay.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
No direct experience with your model trailer or fridge, but I would be more concerned about a water tight attachment of the new hose to the fridge than the function of the hose itself. The original black hose on mine got really brittle over the years, so they aren’t perfect. Just keep an eye on it.

My concern is raised by your phrase “…slide a flexible tube INTO the drain hole….” I can’t visualize exactly what you have there, but it sounds like water might be able to leak at that point.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
P.S. good idea to screen the output end so bugs don’t get in and block the flow.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I replaced my hose - no problem. I highly recommend that while the fridge is out that you install several thermostat-controlled fans in the back of the fridge.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #6
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
I replaced my hose - no problem. I highly recommend that while the fridge is out that you install several thermostat-controlled fans in the back of the fridge.
I'm going to have to replace our drain hose, don't see any way to accomplish it without pulling the fridge. What type of hose did you end of using? Don't care for the factory installed black corrugated, always looked fragile to me. I need to research the installation of fans, so any and all advice/recommendations are appreciated.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I used a ribbed black hose - no particular reason - a non-black hose that won't kink will work well.

I actually installed two fan systems during the period my fridge was out:

1) outside on the back of the fridge - the a three fan set (low amp draw) with a thermostat that auto kicks on around 85 degrees. The fans are positioned below the condenser fins. To ensure maximum airflow thru the condenser fins, I rigged up a baffle out of a thin aluminum sheet. The idea is to push more hot air out thru the roof vent. The fan wiring dropped down the back of the fridge and I attached to the DC power source under the fridge accessible via the outside louvered hatch door. You can get an installation kit on-line from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse.

2) inside the refrigerator - a 3 fan unit that connects directly onto the fridge's evaporator fins. Improves the unit's efficiency and moves the air through the fridge on a constant basis. No dead spots. I ran this fan unit's wiring through the fridge's drain tube out the back of the fridge. Again, low amp draw. Unit is readily available via Amazon.

Finally, I installed an on/off with for each fan unit. Switch placement: inside the rig thru the side wall if the fridge enclosure.

Works very well. A relatively easy job for this non-engineer - particularly with the fridge out of its enclosure.

Other questions? Please send a private message so that I know there is a pending info request.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I'm not sure what your setup is but this is my fix post #3386 2 lower photos. Note the left pic is sideways

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...27845-170.html

Mine was originally the white ribbed tube that simply deteriorated. I used a clear poly and put a slight belly in it that always holds water and keeps warm air from entering the refer via the tube. I tacked the bottom down so it drains (like OEM) into the track for the ext cover. Not a whole lot of water to account for IMO. I also added a clamp to hold it on. Terrible location, as the down tube makes the clamp a bit difficult. I saved and used the caulking as it seemed pliable and workable. Like F&S suggested, reinstall the bug screen.

FWIW the flea collars are my solution to spiders and daubers in and around the burn tube. Never seen evidence of any spiders etc.

Also some other discussion as native143 had the same model and thought I'd follow her lead.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...se-236672.html
Old 04-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Myakka City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
That was what we were doing. We also installed fans inside the frig. So far no ice on the fins. [emoji1696][emoji1696]
thebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
Just a not about the extra fans and I have 2. They are controlled by the fridge.
When I get in really cold weather my fridge freezes. I have to put a heat lamp in the door to get it running again. I think my extra fans should be turned off in freezing weather.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote