Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Important

You need to call Dometic like it was yesterday if you haven't already.

The waiting lists have already started and as of now, any kits ordered for you today will take at least a month to a month and a half if all goes well, from today!

Dometic's phone # is 1-888-446-5157

Have your fridge model number, serial number and the VIN of your trailer

They will take basic info, send you out a packet, give you and ID# that relates to your unit and help you find the nearest repair center, providing you an address and phone. After hanging up with Dometic, contact that dealer/repair center ASPCA!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
After having talked to a gal at the Dometic phone call center, and chosen a preferred service center, then a call to the service center, I am now on a call-back waiting list for the rework kit ...I received the recall notice in the mail today.. so now we'll wait and see how long it'll be before we can get the rework kit installed. I think the timing is bad, with traveling plans in the middle and end of April ..and the rally..hmm..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
After having talked to a gal at the Dometic phone call center, and chosen a preferred service center, then a call to the service center, I am now on a call-back waiting list for the rework kit ...I received the recall notice in the mail today.. so now we'll wait and see how long it'll be before we can get the rework kit installed. I think the timing is bad, with traveling plans in the middle and end of April ..and the rally..hmm..
Gonna be an interesting season!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
YEAH!......................

Guess I'll be doing a cross-country Recall campaign this summer!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
YEAH!......................

Guess I'll be doing a cross-country Recall campaign this summer!
Too bad you won't be round here...I'd much rather you work on my Airstream than some SOB place that nearly gasped when I said Airstream.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ya just never know where I might show up...................
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Ya just never know where I might show up...................
If yer ever in the area in the next 2 months and just happen to have the parts.....heck, if possible, I may even pay to have the element changed to the lower wattage while yer at it.....

Maybe you'll be near or at the Midwest Rally in central IL in early June!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
we all have to remember the legal system in this country and i'm sure dometic is doing a CYA with their recomendations. Our ref. is included in the recall, but my service tech said to make sure the gas valve is turned off and it would be safe to run on elec. I haven't had any problems so far and i keep a good eye on it.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
norcold has of their own volition been doing recalls on problem units for as long as i can remember 8310 comes to mind in that a 30plus year old unit is still eligible for rework,to my knowledge dom. has never issued a blanket recall such as this (they have had units that deserved it.)so it's taking a while to get it together. we have just recieved our first box of kits.2 of ea. per box order more as we use them.i currently have 16 customers waiting and am doing them on 1rst come basis,also limiting recals to 1 day per week as i have other clients with other probs as well. i think most shops will prob. adopt a similar policy. the cracks anticipated in the boiler pot if not covered by warr. are cust prob per. dom... this has been dom. policy in the past ie: when back in the mid 90s the control boxes lost ground internally they only covered those that failed during warr. period the rest were cust pay. hopefully the cust didn't get it fixed until new boxes were produced or might pay again.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
i'll look at kits i have recieved tomorrow and see what is in them theni will post a description of the repair and parts. please note at this time i can only do these recalls for my regular customers as i get them done i can take in others sorry
Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Interesting! Since this affects refigerators all the way back to 1997, or thereabouts, has anyone heard of any fires or failures. I've never read anything on Airforums with respect thereto??? Does this mean that it has taken 10 years for the problem to show up - or that Dometic has known about it for some time and was hoping that it would go away? Is this simply a problem that has a very low probabliity of happening or are there, indeed, reported incidents? Now that we've been "informed" has Dometic covered their liability for any incident that might occur if we continue using the refrigerator? Since I'm a 2nd Owner I probably would not have known about the recall if it had not been for Airforums. This is beginning to look like the exploding Ford Pintos from way back - or the self-igniting Fords of more recent vintage - with no intent to hammer Ford unfairly! The fact that Dometic is not even manning their phones on the weekend doesn't set well with me either. Apparently the Corporate heads haven't addressed the PR side of the issue yet - instead simply congratulating themselves for admitting they have a problem. (Houston - we have a problem!)

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
The fact that Dometic is not even manning their phones on the weekend doesn't set well with me either. Apparently the Corporate heads haven't addressed the PR side of the issue yet - instead simply congratulating themselves for admitting they have a problem. (Houston - we have a problem!)

Taken right from the GM (and Ford) textbook on how to deal with customers!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AFAIK, Dometic isn't even manning their own phones!! It seems that they have hired an outside company to administer the recall process for them!

Norcold has had many recalls, most recently on their big 1200LR 4-door series. The recall involves changing out the entire cooling unit, which means removing this 300 lb. beast, putting it on the floor of the coach and removing and replacing the whole back of the fridge.

Not really a fun job, and usually 3 hours at that!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
don't know what happened typed responce 1 and it went away.I checked out one of the kits today as i said i would=20+ prts in box new box goes around original and will make service more fun. kit includes formed sheet metal,disk type t-stat and heat sensitive fuse link. instructions are written as though owners were doing the job but i think it beyond most.rumor has it dom. is paying appx.1.0 hrs labour? don't think flat rate tecs will be happy looks like 2.o or more depending on install of refer
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
1rst major recall issued by this manufactorer to my knowledge,though not the first needed.dometic is famous in industry for phone prompts and hold time!. they do manufactor several very popular products.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
i have a local rebuilder who will jerk your refer out of trailer(so as not to leak the yellow stuff on carpet)and completely rebuild tour cooling unit + 1 year warr. for 550.00 but i am in crossville tn. also while unit is out of coach recall install is simple and just makes him a little extra $ 1/2 way back RV is name and is in sweetwater tn.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv
norcold has of their own volition been doing recalls on problem units for as long as i can remember 8310 comes to mind in that a 30plus year old unit is still eligible for rework,to my knowledge dom. has never issued a blanket recall such as this (they have had units that deserved it.)so it's taking a while to get it together. we have just recieved our first box of kits.2 of ea. per box order more as we use them.i currently have 16 customers waiting and am doing them on 1rst come basis,also limiting recals to 1 day per week as i have other clients with other probs as well. i think most shops will prob. adopt a similar policy. the cracks anticipated in the boiler pot if not covered by warr. are cust prob per. dom... this has been dom. policy in the past ie: when back in the mid 90s the control boxes lost ground internally they only covered those that failed during warr. period the rest were cust pay. hopefully the cust didn't get it fixed until new boxes were produced or might pay again.
My friend had an SOB with the Norcold and the refer wasn't working. He called them and was told it was a recalled unit and they gave him the name of the local RV folks to call which he did. They arranged for a fellow to come out to their place (a half hour drive from their shop) and he did the repair in about 1/2 hour. There was no cost. We were all greatly impressed. Since he'd bought the trailer used and got a great deal because the refer wasn't working it was an even better deal than any of us thought up front.

My past experience with Dometic is that they are not a service oriented company. They are used to dealing with OEM's and Dealers and just not set up to deal with individuals, nor do they want to be engaged at that level.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone still on a waiting list for "the" fix (or band-aid) that Dometic has out there?

I've been on a waiting list since April and it's going on 90 days now. Anyone in the same boat?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

The kits have been available and recalls have been going on for a few weeks now.

I would call Dometic and get another service center to do it. It doesn't have to be an Airstream place. Even Camping World is doing it in California. It takes less than an hour.

Dometic would probably like to know who is not doing the recalls so that they can take them off of their referral list.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks. I suppose I'm Dometic bound tomorrow on the phone!