Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Exclamation Dometic expands recall !!!!!!!!

To ALL Forum Folk:

Dometic has indeed expanded their refrigerator recall to include the following units:

NDR1062, RM2652, RM2662, RM2663, RM2852, RM2862, RM3662, RM3663, RM3682 that were manufactured between 6/01/03 and 9/30/06

The serial #'s for the affected units are:

320xxxxx - 352xxxxx
401xxxxx - 452xxxxx
501xxxxx - 552xxxxx
601xxxxx - 639xxxxx

If your unit is within these parameters, you should either contact your dealer or Dometic for an appointment to get the Secondary Burner Housing kit (SBH) installed.

Please note that you DO NOT have to go to an Airstream dealer to have this service work performed, as any authorized Dometic dealer that is participating in the recall program can perform the work on your Airstream.

Dometic is recommending that you DO NOT operate your refer on LP under any circumstances (actually requesting that you turn off the LP valve that is in the supply line at the back of the refer) until the SBH is installed, and that if you must operate the unit, that you do so ONLY on 120VAC with daily monitoring of the boiler tube section.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, or go to the Dometic web site at Dometic.

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Lew,

Here is the recall notice from the NHTSA...
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8E032-7012.pdf

On your list above, you include RM2663 that is not on the list on the notice. Was this one added? Also you included RM3682 and I think you just transposed the numbers...the notice calls it RM3862.

Mine falls into this expanded recall and I got it done on Tuesday. I was the first one for the expanded recall at Sky River RV in Paso Robles, CA
Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Good info Lewster....

Now that I think of it, perhaps we could now start a forum or thread on recalls only....

Tow Vehicles / appliances / etc...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I checked the NHTSA Website and found that RM2663 and also RM3863 are included.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
...Now that I think of it, perhaps we could now start a forum or thread on recalls only....Tow Vehicles / appliances / etc...
also a good idea....

and it's been done,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...lls-37376.html

but not used or expanded as it should be...

into a subheading JUST for these...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Dang! They got me. RM2662

Thanks Lew -- a fine service to your fellow forams!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Yep, go my notice in the mail Monday, checked - bingo - a winner. Checked the web site to verify - bingo. Closest warranty place turned out to be a horse trailer dealer apprx 5 miles away. Made an appt for this AM and it only took about 25 minutes to complete. Nice job, too.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Lew,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't got a notice, unless it was in the pile of stuff I get from Dometic every month trying to sell me an extended warranty. Those go straight into the round file.

So I called the local Mobile RV service. He said Dometic will pay for the parts and labor, but not the service call. No way am I gonna hitch up, drag the thing across town, wait half a day to get it fixed.

He said they will pay for the mobile service call if my RV is immobile. Well, I guess having the jacks down makes it immobile.

So I call the Dometic 800 number to get a service call authorized. Work through a couple different menus and . . .if this, push #2 . . . BS. Listen to the very scary warning, and the next step is be connected to a live person who will get me authorized. . . . . . .

. . . . our office is closed!

&%$#@*&*%$*
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Lew,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't got a notice, unless it was in the pile of stuff I get from Dometic every month trying to sell me an extended warranty. Those go straight into the round file.

So I called the local Mobile RV service. He said Dometic will pay for the parts and labor, but not the service call. No way am I gonna hitch up, drag the thing across town, wait half a day to get it fixed.

He said they will pay for the mobile service call if my RV is immobile. Well, I guess having the jacks down makes it immobile.

So I call the Dometic 800 number to get a service call authorized. Work through a couple different menus and . . .if this, push #2 . . . BS. Listen to the very scary warning, and the next step is be connected to a live person who will get me authorized. . . . . . .

. . . . our office is closed!

&%$#@*&*%$*
In my past experience, Dometic will pay for the service call if your RV is immobilized. In FL, many of the units I work on ARE truly not mobile, as they have hurricane straps tying them to the concrete pad they are on and have permanent screen rooms attached to them.

I would put your A/S on jack stands and remove the tires, take a couple of photos, and then put everything back. This way, if they ask for proof (usually by photo) that the trailer is indeed immobile, you can send it to them and they will pay the mobile tech's service call. They don't want to fool around with this recall!!!!

CAS, you are correct, as I did displace the #'s on the RM3862 in a mild moment of dyslexia.............

THANKS!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thanks for the advice. I was gonna take the wheels in tomorrow to be Road Force balanced with the Pressure Pro tire stem weights anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
To ALL Forum Folk:

Dometic has indeed expanded their refrigerator recall to include the following units:

NDR1062, RM2652, RM2662, RM2663, RM2852, RM2862, RM3662, RM3663, RM3682 that were manufactured between 6/01/03 and 9/30/06

TD
Thanks Lou for repeating this. I posted this on 6/3/08 http://www.airforums.com/forums/570805-post68.html

I'm part of the expanded recall and mine goes in Saturday for the fix.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Dumb question

Hi, I just ran outside and opened the louvered door behind my refrigerator to look for the magic numbers and didn't find any. Since I can't get to the inside of my trailer now [parked too close to house] I'm almost sure that the magic numbers are inside somewhere. Or, where are these numbers actually located?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
yikes...we're leaving tomorrow!

I'll check first thing when I get home tonight!

Update; I do know it is a RM2620 installed 7/2007...looks like it is NOT on the list?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanx for the info Lew,
Bill
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I just ran outside and opened the louvered door behind my refrigerator to look for the magic numbers and didn't find any. Since I can't get to the inside of my trailer now [parked too close to house] I'm almost sure that the magic numbers are inside somewhere. Or, where are these numbers actually located?
Bob, On mine, the information is located inside the refer door on the left wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
yikes...we're leaving tomorrow!

I'll check first thing when I get home tonight!

Update; I do know it is a RM2620 installed 7/2007...looks like it is NOT on the list?

Can anyone confirm?

Bill
You are safe for now Bill, RM2620 is not on the list. Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I just got back from having my recall work done. They didn't even have to disconnect the truck from the trailer and did the work in the service department covered entry. From what they said, all the did was put a metal plate over some of the refridgerator workings so that if they DID explode, the damage would be minimal. Took about 45 minutes.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I got hit on the first wave of the recall. This sounds a bit more sinister though. I didn't recall them saying to not use the LP in the first wave, only that is was suggested that you be careful in LP mode. From what I read in Lew's post, it appears to be a bit more important than I got the first round this was happening.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I recall the first recall was something to do with the electric element. This one is for fatigue cracking of the pressure tube.

In this recall, you must not operate with propane. You can only use it in electric mode if you check for leaks every week.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Do you think it's possible that a 2008 CCD would have a '06 refrigerator in it?
Now I have to go home and check just to be on the safe side....we're headed for the Grand Canyon next Friday.
Thanks for the info.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
If you are passing through Anchorage, AK and find that you are on the expanded recall list, give Mobile Auto Service a call. I called one day and brought the rig in the following day. Like many have said on other threads, the kit is a simple installation is simple if the installer has done more than one. It was obvious that the owner had done several. He took about 15 minutes and I was on my way.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I recall the first recall was something to do with the electric element. This one is for fatigue cracking of the pressure tube.

In this recall, you must not operate with propane. You can only use it in electric mode if you check for leaks every week.
The specific weak spot is the weld where the boiler tube attaches to the heater tube. This weld has been found to crack and cause a refrigerant leak. Since this refrigerant is composed of hydrogen gas, liquid ammonia and sodium chromate, a leak at this heater tube (read HOT) can cause a fire, either from the LP burner as a direct ignition source for the hydrogen, or from the hot 120VAC heating element for a more indirect heat source that would provide the ignition...

The auxiliary sheathing is designed to contain any flame within the area, preventing any flames from igniting anything within the area. In addition to the sheathing, a thermal fuse is added to the rear wall of the refer that will detect any excess heat (flame) and open the 12VDC connection to the control board.....effectively shutting down the unit, along with a thermo-disc mounted on the exterior of the boiler tube that is connected in series to the thermal fuse as an added layer of heat detection.

If your unit is not working and you can't seem to find where the problem lies, you should look at this thermo-disc, as it has a re-set button in it and will shut down your refer if it has popped.