Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Recall Warning!!!!!!

Hi, today C&G Trailer Service, in Bellflower, Ca. promtly performed the refrigerator recall on my Safari. Their mechanic started by useing a blow gun to blow out any dirt, webs, or whatever before installing the the recall kit. This kit had several pieces of sheet metal, a few wires, two decals, and what looks like a thermal sensor. Good job.
A little history: I have worked at new car dealers since 1968 and all recalls are performed exactly as per factory instructions. Even vehicles with a salvage title gets recalls done. Only if a vehicle is damaged or modified in such a way that the recall can't be performed, then it won't.
But a close friend of mine brought his SOB motorhome to his place of purchase to have his refrigerator recall performed and was told that Dometic requires him to have his refrigerator serviced before they could do the recall [B*** S***] and charged him $70.00 to basically blow out his refrigerator. I consider this a scam; I have never read or performed any recall that required the customer to spend money before the recall can be done.

Note: I didn't mention the dealer's name, although a large [SOB] RV dealer, they are not an Airstream dealer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, today C&G Trailer Service, in Bellflower, Ca. promtly performed the refrigerator recall on my Safari. Their mechanic started by useing a blow gun to blow out any dirt, webs, or whatever before installing the the recall kit. This kit had several pieces of sheet metal, a few wires, two decals, and what looks like a thermal sensor. Good job.
A little history: I have worked at new car dealers since 1968 and all recalls are performed exactly as per factory instructions. Even vehicles with a salvage title gets recalls done. Only if a vehicle is damaged or modified in such a way that the recall can't be performed, then it won't.
But a close friend of mine brought his SOB motorhome to his place of purchase to have his refrigerator recall performed and was told that Dometic requires him to have his refrigerator serviced before they could do the recall [B*** S***] and charged him $70.00 to basically blow out his refrigerator. I consider this a scam; I have never read or performed any recall that required the customer to spend money before the recall can be done.

Note: I didn't mention the dealer's name, although a large [SOB] RV dealer, they are not an Airstream dealer.
This type of action is TOTALLY against NHTSA regulations concerning consumer recalls and your friend should:

1. Call Dometic and inform them of what happened

2. Contact NHTSA with the code # of the recall (should be on the secondary label that was affixed to the outer shield). I'm sure that they will be VERY interested in this type of scam. Especially considering that a $10,000 fine might be applicable to the 'dealer' in this case!

Dometic is very clear to their installing techs that NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES can be levied to the consumer under any circumstances!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Suspecting that our unit was not cooling properly during the Bristol NEXTEL cup race a few weeks back, I placed the remote weather thermometer into the freezer unit to monitor the temp. Sure enough, it was losing cooling capacity. I checked the second recall notice to confirm that my unit was not listed. It actually was three serial numbers outside of the latest recall!!!! Off we went to Johnson City, TN to purchase a large ice chest. My wife exclaimed that at least it wasn't the AC! Our Airstream is now at Out Of Doors Mart near Greensboro, NC where we found VERY competent folks willing to help out with various other mods on our wish list. We found Tony, Ricky, Dan and Ben to be most helpful and their parts department very well socked with everything we need including a new refrigerator. As we spoke, our wish list grew and our pocketbook got lighter but we look forward to getting our bably back and trying out the new stuff. Good luck one and all with your repair kits as I suspect it only to be a bandage fix. Keep a close eye on things as you enjoy our Airstream lifestyle.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We just got back from a trip to the mother ship to have the Dometic Recall work done, and a few other minor repairs. It's a 5 hour trip from here, but we like to go back to JC and take the tour again. The only problem is that we spent as much in the gift shop as we did on the repairs! Spent a night at the Terra-Port and then two nights at the Columbus East KOA at Buckeye Lake. Drove home with the remnants of Hurricane Ike - yuck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I paid a service call fee of $90.00 to have my recall done, seems stupid until you realize it got me to the head of the line and I did not have to move the trailer. What made it a good call was the refrigerator and trailer were ready to go a week later for my Gustav evacuation. I take hurricane season seriously and is the prime reason I own a Airstream, It is my escape capsule and has served me well.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #46
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Yikes...just confirmed that our unit is part of the expanded recall! Curiously, my wife commented that our 'fridge has not been cooling lately. Thanks for the heads up Lewster!
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
From what I gather, the recall is a 'band-aid' to prevent a future fire and not a "Fix". We won't have to worry about the frig causing a fire that may burn our trailers to the ground. Does anyone else have a different understanding? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #48
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I have RM2551 which is not in the list but my seriel # is in that group?

What does that mean?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #49

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
From what I gather, the recall is a 'band-aid' to prevent a future fire and not a "Fix". We won't have to worry about the frig causing a fire that may burn our trailers to the ground. Does anyone else have a different understanding? Thanks.
Correct. It doesn't address any cooling problems or inherent issues relative to the refrigerator cooling system failures.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
From what I gather, the recall is a 'band-aid' to prevent a future fire and not a "Fix". .
I think even that may be a little generous. The fix isn't to prevent a fire as much as to contain it once it started. . .

. . then hope the thermal sensor works.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #51
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Correct. It doesn't address any cooling problems or inherent issues relative to the refrigerator cooling system failures.

Jack
Curiously, here is what Dometic includes on their web site -

Turn the refrigerator off immediately if you notice any of the following indicators:
  • Leakage or staining at the back of the refrigerator.
  • Yellow residue at the back or sides of the refrigerator.
  • The smell of ammonia.
  • Refrigerator does not properly cool.
I haven't personally witnessed 1 - 3, but have noticed reduction in cooling.
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Recall notice.

Hi, today I received my recall notice; Recall was done about two months ago.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
ZoominC6....I have the same concern as you do regarding a fire starting in the refrigerator locker when I'm sleeping in the trailer. I'm thinking of installing a 25 cu ft Fireboy automatic fire extingusher in the refrigerator locker that would release the FE-241 fire surpression agent in the compartment if the temperature exceeds 175 degrees Fahrenheit. My only concern is if the normal operation of the refrigerator would cause the locker to reach that temperature. Has anyone measured the temperature in the refrigerator locker?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #54
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
2dabeach,

That sounds like a great idea. On mine the only place to mount it would be lying on its side just inside the lower door, and I know it never exceeds 175F at that location. Further up near the flue I just don't have enough clearance to mount it.

Do these work if lying on their side?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
2dabeach,

That sounds like a great idea. On mine the only place to mount it would be lying on its side just inside the lower door, and I know it never exceeds 175F at that location. Further up near the flue I just don't have enough clearance to mount it.

Do these work if lying on their side?
markdoane... Fireboy's online instructions indicate that the unit can be installed vertical (discharge head on top) or "mounting up to 90 degrees from vertical is permissible". That would allow you to mount it vertical or horizontal in the locker.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
thanks, that's a super idea!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #57
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
You are correct. I had the recall work done a couple months ago. It is nothing more than a few extra pieces of sheet metal flashing to help contain a fire from spreading if one should occur.

I can hear it now on the top floor of Dometic headquarters:

Management: We have a problem. There have been a couple of fires caused by some of our refrigerators. Wonder what the least expensive way is to limit our liability?

Lawyer: Awww, just throw a couple more pieces of metal flashing in there to help retard any fire that starts. It shows we have taken action on the problem. That should do it.

Just kidding, I'm sure the recall kit was well thought out

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I just got my expanded recall notice from Airstream in the mail today. I had the work done over 4 months ago. It must be really critical to have the recall work done if it took them this long to notify me..*he says with a cynical wink*
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You are correct. I had the recall work done a couple months ago. It is nothing more than a few extra pieces of sheet metal flashing to help contain a fire from spreading if one should occur.

I can hear it now on the top floor of Dometic headquarters:

Management: We have a problem. There have been a couple of fires caused by some of our refrigerators. Wonder what the least expensive way is to limit our liability?

Lawyer: Awww, just throw a couple more pieces of metal flashing in there to help retard any fire that starts. It shows we have taken action on the problem. That should do it.

Just kidding, I'm sure the recall kit was well thought out

I need to check mine, I'm not sure how old it is.... But what you said sound about right to me.... Thats how things seem to work these days....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #60
FOBOCO

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1996 34' Excella
1965 24' Tradewind
Point Richmond , California
Dometic recall snafu

I just dumped $75 down the Thetford to have an RV service call to install the fix-it kit on my 2006 Safari only to find out it had already been installed before I bought the unit new! So, what did I miss? I Confirmed with Dometic that mine was on the list for recall after checking Model and Serial numbers. Called a couple of repair shops including Airstream dealers. No one told me that it may already have the fix. Do your research first (at least more than I did).
foboco is offline   Reply With Quote