Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Dometic Control Knobs

All of the control knobs on the Dometic frig in my '75 Sovereign are missing. The PO apparently used pliers to operate the controls and crushed the ends or the rods so that new knobs can't be put on. Are the rods easily replaced? I looked through the exterior access door but could not figure out how to get to them.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
What is the model number of your fridge? I'd say your best bet would be to find an owner with a bad cooling unit and get the parts from him.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
My fridge is a Dometic RM2801. I called a guy named Leon in Shipshawanna, IN whose name I found in a post by hensbob. He said he could replace the control rods and knobs without much trouble if he could find the parts. needless to say, that's the problem. TouringDan has the best solution but I have spent hours trying to find parts or people with parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ken
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Ken

Just a thought. Have you tried Dometic for new parts?

There is a guy named Dan Piper that has used Airstreams/parts in Indiana. I don't recall the name.

How about an rv fridge repair shop?

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Dan,
I sent emails to a couple of different repair shops yesterday - no response yet. I went to Campland RV in Burns Harbor IN yesterday with parts list to see if by chance the parts were available form Dometic. No luck on the parts, but the said they could give me a good deal on a new fridge, only $1,600.! Can't do that. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
any luck?

I'm looking at the original Dometic fridge in a 1971 Caravel. The knobs are gone, gone, gone. I suspect the best route may be to get a clever metal worker to fashion something that fits.

Did you find anything that works?
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
For those who still have refridgerator knobs and rods in good shape I highly advise lubricating as well as you can both ends and all moving parts you can access. I broke one knob when it slowly became harder to turn. Lubrication and a modified knob from a junk RV range fixed the problem. Liquid Wrench Silicone spray worked well for me.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
I found something called "Dometic Beige Refrigerator Selector Knob" online at Dometic Beige Refrigerator Selector Knob - Refrigerator Parts - Refrigerators - RV Appliances .
Does anyone know if these fit all Dometics? Mine is an old Electrolux/Dometic. The plate that gives the model number is hard to read but looks like it might be RM-45. I guess you'd call it a mini-fridge or a bar fridge these days. About 4 cu ft. Fits under the counter.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Eureka! (I think)
I've been pawing through instrument makers' online catalogs, and I think this one will work.
https://www.okwenclosures.com/en/cat...d-00163e72470b
You even get a choice of colored inserts . . . but no numbers. The only catch is you need to order 10....though they do free samples, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Have had a very frustrating time getting the fridge operational. I located a vintage set of knobs, installed them, and they tore apart at the base just like the destroyed knobs on my fridge.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Any luck sorting out how to reattach those rods? I had the gas selector knob and rod assembly pull out of my 77 with a Dometic Royal reefer. I too had a look under the service hatch but haven't sorted how to access the inside to reattach the rods. Fortunately my knobs are intact still..but give the stories I've read I'll be careful with them.
Mike
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post
Any luck sorting out how to reattach those rods? I had the gas selector knob and rod assembly pull out of my 77 with a Dometic Royal reefer. I too had a look under the service hatch but haven't sorted how to access the inside to reattach the rods. Fortunately my knobs are intact still..but give the stories I've read I'll be careful with them.
Mike
No luck. Not a problem of luck but bumbling amateurism. The knobs I was so happy to find arrived. They were exactly right apart from being scaled down by 70% or so. I measured twice . . .but that doesn't help when you confuse ID measurement with OD measurement!