Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #21
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Good news, at least for now. Let's hope this fixed it.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hooray! If it goes wonky again check the chimney. Birds insects, etc get up there and build nests and heat and gasses cannot escape. Use your cell phone camera to get a quick look, then if you see an obstruction, poke it with a straightened coat hanger and clean up the mess that drops down before you re-light the furnace.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #23
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
guskmg Post #6
See above comment for Dometic Refrigerator Rebuild.
rvcool.com
1-800-515-6823
Wick
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Hi, I’ve had that issue many times on my 1999 Bambi. Spent lots of money with Dometic repair shops and never got it fixed. One day my wife found an article detailing this issue. On the back of the refrigerator unscrew the LP jet where the gas ignites near the bottom of smoke stack and soak the jet in a glass of rubbing alcohol 70% but I prefer the 90% Soak for 30 minutes. And replace. Works every time. I even do it as a routine maintenance before a trip but at the very least once a year. Under no circumstances poke the jet hole with anything. Apparently there are contaminants in the gas or gas line that clog the jet and cause the refrigerator not to cool. I promise this will fix it
CampingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #25
Wanderers

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Final Thought

You had mentioned several times that the fan was running. I am assuming you mean the muffin fan in the exterior frig area. In cold weather that should not be running since it is to cool the area in hot months.
MSandSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg Post #6
See above comment for Dometic Refrigerator Rebuild.
rvcool.com
1-800-515-6823
Wick
guskmg

guskmg, I've tried the website and it keeps flipping to RVpartsusa.com

I entered https://www.rvcool.com and it showed no rvcool.com website but on the right hand side the info in the attachment reference Greenbrier, AR. Clicked on the website icon and it took me back to RV parts, of AZ.

Do you know if they've moved, or maybe retired? I'll try and call tomorrow. Maybe they don't have a web presence anymore.

Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVCOOL.COM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	410316  
Old 01-09-2022, 07:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingJoe View Post
Hi, I’ve had that issue many times on my 1999 Bambi. Spent lots of money with Dometic repair shops and never got it fixed. One day my wife found an article detailing this issue. On the back of the refrigerator unscrew the LP jet where the gas ignites near the bottom of smoke stack and soak the jet in a glass of rubbing alcohol 70% but I prefer the 90% Soak for 30 minutes. And replace. Works every time. I even do it as a routine maintenance before a trip but at the very least once a year. Under no circumstances poke the jet hole with anything. Apparently there are contaminants in the gas or gas line that clog the jet and cause the refrigerator not to cool. I promise this will fix it
campingjoe, any chance you still have that article/link?

I've checked the thermister resistance and within dometic ranges. I'm color blind but the flame looked correct shape and color. A local dometic shop also went thru it...correct flame clear blue , amp draw correct on the AC side correct, ditto thermister. All as it should be apparently. I'm wondering if I can have a dirty jet but still with the correct shape and color.

Did you notice a change in the flame color after the cleaning?
thx
Old 01-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
pcskier, thanks for this post and all your investigations. This info has been very informative.

Richard5993 thanks for the rvcooling.com tip. David (?) is great and very helpful and the website loaded with diagnostics.

XYZabc, thanks t0o for the JC referral. I've been to Shipshawana to pick up Amish furniture and love the area. If JC's quality is any where near JC's it will be the ticket.

Not sure if the Dometic rebuilds need to go thru rvcooling or direct to JC, but certainly is a viable better quality option. I'll have to call. I watched one of the video's on the rvcooling diagnosis section, and not that interested in a self swap. More to investigate, if in fact the unit is somewhat clogged.

I maybe have cooked the cooler on a trip to CA last fall. Lost shore power (connection melted) in Bakersfield so limped along with an extension cord and battery tender. Then in Paso Robles...I believe the stat failed, the fans (dual side by side) and it overheated.

It's been checked out locally by a dometic shop but not road tested. I may have to camp (winterized) locally to get the AC to test the refer before we leave.

thanks everyone
Old 01-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Here is one of the links:
https://www.arprv.com/dometic-does-not-cool.php

Look under LP Filter and also LP Gas tap

Just removing those parts and socking in alcohol does the trick
CampingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Campingjoe, thanks! I'll take a closer look and read on the laptop. Very interesting... orifice/jet cleaning sure, filter wasn't even aware.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

https://www.arprv.com

Wow, almost too much infirmation! Seems somewhat of a commercial for their controller, but it makes sense to monitor the boiler. Need to watch on the big screen and let it absorb.

Interesting i was in the local StL AS dealer just before the CA trip to get some guidance and parts for the propane tank connections at the regulator. The Eugene AS dealer had obviously mismatched some connection flares/npt connections. To my point one connection had a little piece of some mesh material and the other did not. What is and do i need it? Dealer, don't know what it is and no you don't need it. Just ID'd it as a propane filter referenced in video #5. I'll try and locate at the other factory authorized dealer since i now have no filter mesh in either hose connection. I guess factory authorized is different than factory trained.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
a great explanation of the process of an absorption refer.

https://www.arprv.com/how-dometic-no...idge-works.php
Old 01-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #33
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Dometic 2551 Suddenly not cooling

Quote:

In my case electric is what was running when the cooling suddenly failed (not just getting warmer—fridge and freezer were room temperature) and the gas flame worked as well when I tried switching to propane. Something was going on with the circulation within my cooling unit. However for general cooling issues your protocol is a good one if there are issues when running on propane.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
In my case electric is what was running when the cooling suddenly failed (not just getting warmer—fridge and freezer were room temperature) and the gas flame worked as well when I tried switching to propane. Something was going on with the circulation within my cooling unit. However for general cooling issues your protocol is a good one if there are issues when running on propane.
After reading the link provided by CrusinDux, if the info is accurate, one could theorize that once the water froze it caused the mixture to separate and the ammonia vaporized and became trapped at the top and could not condense back down and return to the boiler even though the water had thawed. Once you turned it off the ammonia cooled and returned to the bottom and re-mixed with the water, returning to normal operation when you re-started it the next day.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #35
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Welp, got lucky for a couple months...while not dead in the water like it was in January, fridge is around 50 and freezer won't get below 25. Over the past couple months, if the temps appeared to be rising, I would turn off the unit and let the tubes cool, as I know now that I have crystals in the solution that can cause clogs when the cooling unit is heating. That has worked a couple times, with normal operation returning.

No such luck this time, I've turned the fridge on and off many times the past few days, and banged on the tube from the boiler up to the top, where I think the blockage forms (because the tube from the boiler is too hot too touch...and much cooler after the 90 degree turn at the top). No luck...I don't have a complete blockage, but a blockage all the same. I've tried banging on the tubes as the unit cools to get the blockage to let loose...no luck.

I figured I was on borrowed time. I will now order a replacement Amish-built cooling unit.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Welp, got lucky for a couple months...while not dead in the water like it was in January, fridge is around 50 and freezer won't get below 25. Over the past couple months, if the temps appeared to be rising, I would turn off the unit and let the tubes cool, as I know now that I have crystals in the solution that can cause clogs when the cooling unit is heating. That has worked a couple times, with normal operation returning.

No such luck this time, I've turned the fridge on and off many times the past few days, and banged on the tube from the boiler up to the top, where I think the blockage forms (because the tube from the boiler is too hot too touch...and much cooler after the 90 degree turn at the top). No luck...I don't have a complete blockage, but a blockage all the same. I've tried banging on the tubes as the unit cools to get the blockage to let loose...no luck.

I figured I was on borrowed time. I will now order a replacement Amish-built cooling unit.
Bummer, but at least from what I've heard the Amish unit will be the best and will probably outlast everyone here.
Consider a Fridge Defend for peace of mind.