Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Dometic 2510 won't cool on gas

We went camping this weeked and noticed that my 3 year old Dometic 2510 did not seem to be cooling properly while on propane. After we got home Sunday afternoon I did a check of the freezer compartment and the fridge while on 120V at different thermostat settings throught the afternoon and night. All was as it should be, very cold. Last night I switch to propane and this morning it was around 50 degrees. The unit lights as it should. I just finished pulling the jet and burner but they were perfectly clean. I get a nice blue flame about an inch high at all times. If it turn the thermostat to off the pilot flame size is the same as when I turn it to MAX. I do not know what the size flame should be on MAX but I would think it would be bigger than when in the off position. I suspect a bad thermocouple but would apprecitate any info from anyone who has experience trouble shooting newer Dometic units. (yes I have plenty of propane in the tank)
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The thermocouple's job is to sense the flame. If it does not, the gas will not flow. Your thermocouple is okay because you have a flame.

The flame on my antique Dometic has a roaring sound when the thermostat calls for cool. It always has the same, blue flame height whether it is roaring or not.

I suspect your gas thermostat.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Thanks Tom. I thought about the thermocouple after I send the post and knew it had to be good or it would not light. I just got off the phone with Dometic and they think it may be the gas thermostat. Wow 3 years of service from an $800 fridge. The really bad news (other than the cost) will be the hours of work it will take to remove the unit so I can get to the parts to replace.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It would be easier if you did a bad job the first go-round

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
... The really bad news (other than the cost) will be the hours of work it will take to remove the unit ...
Reminds me of story. Feel free to click on as my tale has nothing to do with refrigerators.

When I bought my first house as a single man, part of the renovation effort involved me laying an unfinished oak floor. Since I get along well with wood, the project went well. Later, after Kim & I connected & moved into a fixer-upper, I hired Mr. Terry to lay the same 2-1/4" white oak boards simply because the 1200 square feet of wood required was more than I wanted to lay. Due to his experience, he did an OUTSTANDING job - it was much better than I would have done, and I try real hard.

Around six years ago, we built on to the house and wanted hardwood flooring in part of it. Fortunately, Mr. Terry was still available to help us out. In addition to the new work, there was a section of old floor covering that needed to be replaced due to damage. Mr. Terry agreed to replace the section.

Afterwards he moaned & groaned about how tough it was to get the old boards up. While smiling, I told him, "Well, if you hadn't done such a good job installing the boards the first time, your job would have been easier!"

He kinda thought that was funny. You can read the tale here: Day 79

Tom
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bruce

I feel your pain. Removing the fridge from my 66 TW is definitely a pia. I installed a new fridge 2 months ago because my rm2500 would not cool on gas at all. I installed the new fridge because it is such a pia to remove the fridge for service and by starting with a new fridge, I would at least minimize the number of times (hopefuly zero) that I need to remove the fridge over the next X number of years for service. The task of connecting the gas line is still fresh in my pea brain!

I figured it might be a thermostat problem except that it cools fine on electricity. It makes sense that there is both a gas and an electric thermostat, and the gas thermostat is the problem.

Bad timing since this is great camping weather in the southeast.

Good luck. Hope you are back camping, with fridge operating on gas, soon. With the heater element only being 185 watts, you could power it using a genny if need be.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
After talking with Dometic support and a couple of other folks I am going to order a thermostat in the morning. The thermostat on this unit controls both electric and gas. It is a royal pain to remove but the unit is only 3 years old and all the cooling parts look like new.

I would still appreciate any additional thoughts and/or ideas.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Success!! Late yesterday I found what I thought might be the problem and this morning I was pleasantly surprised that I had indeed solved the problem of the fridge not cooling on gas. What I found was a dirt daubber's nest (mud dobber, what ever you call them in your part of the world) over the screen on the bottom of the LP regulator. It was hidden under the cover so it was not obvious. I cleaned all the dirt off the screen and blew it out with a squirt of "canned air". This morning the fridge was well below zero in the freezer and the box was 26 degrees after sitting all night with the thermostat on MAX. I turned it down to 4 and later today I checked and the temps were the same in the freezer and box as they were with the thermostat on 4 and running on AC. Never thought about an insect stopping the fridge from cooling but it sure did. I've been reading the forums for years and have never read about this causing a problem so I thought I would share.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Cool! Literally!

Tom
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bruce

Congrats on solving your problem because you never gave up.

How about a photo of the bottom of the LP regulator where the mud dobbers were located.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
Congrats! I've been having issues with mine. Running on gas the freezer would get cold. Not the refrig. Plugged unit into a drop cord and freezer and refrigerator both got cold. Will keep working, I think it burped itself.
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Dan

I'll get a pic posted for you later today.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Camarillo , California
Can a dirt dauber and a flame exist

Did you have a pilot light glowing?

Where is the screen?

Thanks

Ren