Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellingham , WA
Question Dometic 2 Way fridge does not work on Shore Power

In my 2018 Interstate GT , my refrigerator does not work when I am plugged into my house power (standard home outlet ) when I flip the battery disconnect switch on the side panel by the door to off.

I have been advised by numerous RV services places and based on the Airstream manual that when storing the RV while connected to power, the battery disconnect switch for the 12 V circuit should be off to avoid constantly recharging the battery (apparently this degrades the battery life as it uses up the charging cycles),

Thanks for any advise
romanf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanf17 View Post
In my 2018 Interstate GT , my refrigerator does not work when I am plugged into my house power (standard home outlet ) when I flip the battery disconnect switch on the side panel by the door to off.

I have been advised by numerous RV services places and based on the Airstream manual that when storing the RV while connected to power, the battery disconnect switch for the 12 V circuit should be off to avoid constantly recharging the battery (apparently this degrades the battery life as it uses up the charging cycles),

Thanks for any advise
I think the essence of the advice is the word "storing". When you have the fridge in use, the presence of A/C power is not detrimental but you should monitor fluid levels in the battery. For most of us when the battery disconnect switch is turned to off, DC power is removed from all appliances except for like me, the propane detector.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellingham , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I think the essence of the advice is the word "storing". When you have the fridge in use, the presence of A/C power is not detrimental but you should monitor fluid levels in the battery. For most of us when the battery disconnect switch is turned to off, DC power is removed from all appliances except for like me, the propane detector.

Jack
My batteries are AGM so there is nothing to monitor. My question though is - shouldn't my fridge be powered when connected to Shore power even with the battery disconnect switch is turned off?
romanf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
My batteries are AGM so there is nothing to monitor. My question though is - shouldn't my fridge be powered when connected to Shore power even with the battery disconnect switch is turned off?
I just looked at the manual for your unit and it is really confusing. But after sitting and continuing to go over it, the thing I think is that the master switch you are turning off disconnects the 12 volt distribution panel from the 12 volt converter. Some of your 12 volt powered items however are not on that distribution panel. That's why some items will work and others will not. The manual lists what items are wired around that distribution panel, and of course to your unhappiness the refrigerator is not one of them. That's probably why this is so confusing. They kill that distribution panel since some 12 volt appliances have a parasitic draw, even though they are turned off. In my trailer my fridge, furnace, water heater, hitch jack and other smarter devices pull .5 of an amp hour if I have my master disconnect in the use position. If you sit down and calculate the draw with the amp hour rating of my battery, it's easy to understand why my battery can be discharged after 40 days or so of inactivity. If I throw the master disconnect into the store position I am only pulling .05 of an amp. That draw is from the propane detector.

If I read the manual correctly, if your vehicle is plugged into AC power, even with the switch thrown in the off position, only the 12 volt distribution panel will be disconnected. The converter however will still be providing power to charge the battery. I found this info on page 5-13 of the user manual for your Interstate. Older vehicles like my trailer didn't have the better power units and we would boil out the batteries if we left our vehicles plugged in. With no other 12 volt appliances in use the full output of our converters would be directing all their output into the batteries. In your case you probably have a smart converter which steps that power down. Also that same page lists what appliances bypass the 12 volt distribution panel.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
To put it simply your fridge has 12v controls, so if you turn off 12v you turn off fridge.

Your converter is on the battery side of the battery disconnect switch so when off the 12v is off and turning off the battery disconnect switch will in no way help your batteries when you are plugged in since your converter is still hooked up to your batteries.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
In addition to what others have said, It is not bad for your batteries to be charging while stored. In fact, you will need to have some sort of battery minder to keep the batteries in good health while in storage. If you have no charge to the batteries they will eventually go dead and damage them.

The key is not to over charge them. If you have a three stage charger on that 2018 then you should be fine. It should be smart enough to properly trickle charge the batteries and keep them in shape.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nemo , South Dakota
Quote:
The control section is powered by the 12V DC connection. The refrigerator will not operate in any mode without 12 volts.
clarklaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Quote:

Thanks for any advise
But it does work when the battery disconnect switch is on? If it does then there is your answer; that switch needs to be on for the refrigerator to work, off or on shore power.
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklaflare View Post
The control section is powered by the 12V DC connection. The refrigerator will not operate in any mode without 12 volts.
When connected to shore power, reset the 110V circuit breaker as well.
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote