Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Domestic Fridge not turning off

We have the small Dometic fridge that we installed about 10 years ago, the old one didn’t cool well. The replacement isn’t much better. It either is too warm or it freezes everything.

The latest issue is that I parked the AS, turned off the fridge, opened it up to let it dry out and plugged in the power to keep the battery charged, leaving it for about a month.

The other day I opened up the camper to find a lake on the floor and the freezer Full of ice. The knob still inculcated it was off but it wasn’t.

So I am tired of this fridge and would like to replace it with something else. We had a Norcold one in the RV we had and it was a great fridge. Norcold doesn’t really make a fridge the same size, it’s taller so if I get that one I have to rebuild the cabinet.

Any recommendations? Up here in Michigan the parks can get sort of primitive so I’d like to keep the dual fuel option.

Tom Bray
1972 23’ Safari
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Dometic Fridge

I hate Apple’s error correction
It was supposed to be a Dometic fridge, not domestic
Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I think Norcold has a chart of their models that most closely match the Dometic models, but yes, there are only one or two models that happen to be the same size across the brands.

I rebuilt some of the cabinets in my 69 last winter; always meant to do it to improve a few things (I added a shoe storage space under the fridge so now I have a handy place right when I get inside.)

The original 45-year-old 1/4" ply was delaminating and falling apart. So, don't be afraid to do that, its pretty cheap and easy.

Ironically my 69 Dometic fridge still works (at least on shore power, haven't fired up the propane in ages). This is funny because some of the plastic shelves on the door are in bad shape, and have been since I got the unit nearly 15 years ago. I keep waiting for the fridge to die so I can replace it with a new one, but all the old timers tell me I'm better off fixing the old one when it goes (and if I don't, they'll by the old one off of me)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
I think I have the water cleaned up. Now I can work on what to do with the fridge. I had to completely rebuild the rear bathroom, from part of the frame up, so a little cabinetry isn’t a big deal. My biggest problem is that I store the AS about 30 miles away and there isn’t a shop where it is stored. Our local city government just stressed about how having a camper in the yard/driveway is against the rules.