Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Do you leave the refrigerator on?

Everything I read says turn off the LP and frig when on the move. But the ice cream sandwiches get soft and the fan runs all night when we get to camp. Do the rules change if you have electronic ignition and you shut it all down before you get to the gas station? What do you do?

Jamie

Opps! Jack (below) caught me. I was being my typical lazy self and didn't do the research. Good poll. After reading it I think I'll leave the refer. on and turn off at refueling
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Leave it on

I travel with it on with the rare exception of turning it off on the last leg home if it isn't blazing hot weather and the leg is short. I do take precautions when fueling.

If you have a good thermometer, you will find that it doesn't take very long for the needle to be out of the safe zone after you turn it off. Having had food poisoning once, I don't intend to repeat the experience.

There are all sorts of urban legends to the contrary, but there is less risk in it being on while travelling than there is in it being on propane overnight when dry camping. At least, you aren't asleep next to it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:17 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jamie this topic was recently resurrected a few days back. Here is a link to a long thread that gives you the arguments pro and con. Read it and make the choice you are comfortable with. I travel with mine on, although I do turn it off when refueling. Have fun, read on.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hile+traveling

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:46 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Leave it on

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
There are all sorts of urban legends to the contrary, but there is less risk in it being on while travelling than there is in it being on propane overnight when dry camping. At least, you aren't asleep next to it.
Hey now, cut that out! You make those of us with propane-only refrigerators nervous

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Re: Leave it on

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts

Hey now, cut that out! You make those of us with propane-only refrigerators nervous
Let me restate that:
The risk is vanishingly small whether you travel with it on or sleep in the trailer with it on. However, riding in a separate vehicle with it on is obviously safer than sleeping next to it with it on regardless of how small the risk.

And, yes, I dry camp with the refrigerator on gas and half the time I forget to switch it to AC on an overnight stop.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
yes , of course

Hi there;
I was at the beginning of this kind of thread in June, to know if you let the fridge ON when you were on roads; There was a poll on this;
I've driven more than 2500 Km this summer with the fridge ON and there was NO problem at all; my Dometic frige is a genuine one and works very well, even the very hot weather and large fire forest in FRANCE, near the campground.
The great thing I 'have learnt and I 've taken care, with this thread, was to stop the fridge LPG, when i went to gas stations, on motorways. Plus, my truck run in LPG too and there is always vapors ejected when i finish to refill my tank.

Even, the first time, I 've let the A/S on the parking to refill it without stop the fridge... why not??

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Leave it on

I was concerned about this until I read the thread earlier in the year. Since then (and since the beginning of Summer and several hours-long trips through the v. hot Central Valley), I always keep the LP on when on the road. As recommended, I do shut off the gas before getting close to the gas pumps. I restart the thing after pulling a good distance away from the pumps. The ice cream does stay right and the beer is always nicely chilled.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I leave it on all the time while in transit. I also have turned it off when going to fill up with gas, then back on it goes....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We leave the refrigerator on LP except at re-fueling; I turn the fefrigerator off before I go into a station and on after leaving....within a block each time.

Ours switches to shore power automatically when we connect at the park.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote