Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Deconstructing a Dometic M16

I would like to remove the propane/ammonia from the back of an old M16 refrigerator. I'd like to convert it to a 12vdc/120vac fridge. I am concerned about cutting the piping out; is it pressurized? Has anybody done this?
Thanks,
Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Never Mind!

Never mind. I found four hidden screws and was able to remove and slide out the entire rear mechanism. Follow up question: does anybody want/need it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	deconstruct fridge.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	313533
Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I don't have any advice or need the part, but I'd be interested in following your project for converting your old fridge to a compressor fridge, if you'd be interested in showing your work.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I don't have any advice or need the part, but I'd be interested in following your project for converting your old fridge to a compressor fridge, if you'd be interested in showing your work.
We plan on documenting the fridge conversion and the split Dometic AC on our renovation thread. I just hope it’s successful. Thanks, Bubba
Old 06-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I would like to follow this also. How to get to your thread to do so? Do I type in TheGreatlys and will it come up?

Would it not be less expensive to just put in a new compressor refrigerator? I mean what if you mess up the install? I don’t mean this question as an insult, it’s just a modification I would not even have come up with. What a very interesting thing to do. I am in awe.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I would like to follow this also. How to get to your thread to do so? Do I type in TheGreatlys and will it come up?
If you click on a user's name (Bubba L in this case), view public profile, then click on the "statistics" tab, you can find all the threads started by that user. Here's the thread to follow:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f73/...no-154849.html
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

Would it not be less expensive to just put in a new compressor refrigerator? I mean what if you mess up the install? I don’t mean this question as an insult, it’s just a modification I would not even have come up with. What a very interesting thing to do. I am in awe.
Our intent is to modernize a 1955 Airstream, but have it look like it did back in 55. We’ll have a conceiled AC, and grey water tanks. I have a 1950’s Dometic M16 fridge which we’ll convert to AC/DC with a marine cooling system. We’ve cleaned up the 55 Princess stove and had a couple of pieces rechromed. None of this stuff is cheap. But I plan on this being my last complete renovation (unless a 1938 clipper falls in my lap). I know that whenever I’m working on something that’s out of my expertise, there’s always a chance of messing something up. Normally I put something together then read the directions. I guess that’s why I have a drawer full of extra parts. My wife memorizes the directions and thoroughly understands the functionality. So in short, if we didn’t work as a team, I would surely mess things up. Thanks for your interest, Bubba
Old 08-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Dometic M16 fridge

Any chance you still have the propane portion of this fridge? I am looking for a specific part of the burner.
L.Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
I would love to have this if still available. (Yes I know this was posted years ago, just being hopeful!)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Mr. Palmer, sorry but gave the ammonia/propane components to a guy in Kerrville. I don’t know if he used it or not. I would imagine that assembly weighed close to 75 lbs. May I ask why you want to repair an M16 when a lot of people are going with the marine conversion compressor kits? If you want me to try and contact that guy, I will. That was quite awhile though.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Bubba,
I guess I am unaware of what a marine compressor kit is and what it would do. Would I still be able to use the vintage fridge and just have it modified? Ideally I would still like to use a propane system as I want it to still be running while driving. Do you have a guide or a link for this? (Sorry, newbie to the fridge conversion).
Old 08-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
There are a couple of marine compressor conversion kits. One is Danfoss and the other is Isotherm. I’m sure there are others. We used the Isotherm and love the performance. You mentioned the unit running on propane while traveling. Ours gets the 12vdc power from the trailer battery and simultaneously, the truck keeps the trailer battery charged via the 7-pin. When we rebuilt the M16, we put new gaskets on it from Vintage Trailer Gaskets. The guy goes out of his way to help. I may have some pictures on our rebuild thread. Good luck